“good place to stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of College Hotel

Save Saved
You added College Hotel to your Saves list
College Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Roelof Hartstraat 1, 1071 VE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #179 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Winchester, United Kingdom
“good place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We stayed here in June 14 for 3 nights. It is well located for a short walk to the museums and a pleasant longer one to the centre, Well connected by tram to Jordaan which is a lovely area. The hotel is smart, the décor throughout is dark, so some of the rooms can be difficult if you need a lot of light. It is a training hotel so expect a wait for drinks etc but that also seems to be the Dutch way.Breakfast is quite ok.All in all well located , friendly and would visit again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
Groningen, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Stayed in the hotel for one night for a festival in the city with a friend; asked for an early-check-in upon arrival at 12:15pm, but nothing was communicated with the Front Office employees. Nevertheless, we could check-in 15-20min. after arrival. Rooms are lovely, spacious enough for 2 people for one night. But some features in the room are very unhandy: 1. No door in the shower, so the water runs into the bathroom while taking a shower. 2. We were able to only shut one curtain, keeping in mind that the neighbors from across the street could easily look into our room, while keeping it open. 3. Insufficient lightning for doing your make-up; in the bathroom nor the room itself. 4. Not enough sockets/plugs for charging your phone+camera+laptop/tablet. Needed to pull one plug from the lights out to be able to charge my phone.
Location of the hotel is magnificent; multiple tram lines depart from the opposite side of the hotel; taking you everywhere in Amsterdam. Close to the Museumplein, where the most musea are located (Rijks, Van Gogh etc.). Tram 5 takes you in max. 15 minutes from the hotel to the Dam Square and Central Station - ideal!
Just one piece of advice for the Front Office lady; néver say " Doei Doei " upon check-out, sounds kind of unprofessional for a 4**** hotel.

Room Tip: Keep in mind that if you are +1.80m. the shower might be a problem standing up. Might be wise to not...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a night and we had such a wonderful stay. We had read some of the reviews about the student staff not being quite up to scratch, but i have to say that we experienced none of that. Really attentive and accommodating service from start to finish. We had a lovely room with high ceilings and beams, with a gorgeous bathroom. On the last Sunday of every month they have jazz playing in the terrace outside, which we were lucky enough to see. They even had two weddings on the same night we stayed and you would be none the wiser. A really gorgeous hotel with lovely decor and really friendly staff. Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Loved our stay here. It is a beautiful hotel, with lovely grounds and public spaces, great big room with a proper separate toilet/shower and bath (we do not like this new tendency of all open plan business in new hotels).
It is well located, not super-central, but good enough.
It is quiet and well run. Bed is comfy and beddings are good.
Very romantic setting and with lots of character and style.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Izmir, Turkey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I stayed there for my meeting at RAI. I phoned them before to extend my stay, it was confirmed. When i arrived there, it took them half an hour to tell them that i am staying 3+1 day. They put my extension on another reservation. The atmosphere of the hotel is great anyways. However the curtains in my room was broken so they offered me another room so in total one and a half hours to be in my room. They give complimentary coffe only on your first day and you had to buy the rest. This was a first for me cause all hotels renew it daily. Well everything happened on my last day. It took them half an hour to write a sentence on my invoice. And in addition to one day hotel price plus 150 euros they blocked on my first day, they charged me an again. Why did they block one day room fee on the first day remains anonymous.
But more importantly they wanted to charge me again the next day again excusing they forgot to charge me so again they were asking me room price plus late informing fee(which was not something related to me and some extra charges which i did not eaten or drinken. I maybe send more than ten mails to get it solved.
Summary: the staff is not educated and has limited capacity. They charge you more so check your credit card or invoice! Service is horrible, excluding those at the bar.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Keystone, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

The College Hotel is a breeding ground for students that are looking to start a career in the hotel industry. This being said they are eager to please and will go above and beyond. Our stay was an interesting one as our room light would come on in the middle of the night and when I would turn it off it would come on again 30 minutes later. It made it hard to sleep as the bright light would wake both of us. I think it might have been a wiring problem because the light next to my side of the bed didn't work and when a staff member came to fix the bulb he was told to try a different outlet and it worked. The bed was also just two twin mattresses pushed together to make a larger bed. This was funny because my wife ended up getting a rash possibly bed bugs and I did not. Once again it was a very nice hotel and the staff was outstanding in making sure we were taken care of.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

This is a great funky hotel in a great location. The rooms are spacious with high ceilings, comfortable bed and good bathroom. The building is beautiful having been converted from an old school to a hotel - aesthetically the architectural detail is superb.

The location is excellent - we rented bikes from the hotel, which were in good condition and cycled to Amsterdam se Bos as well as around Amsterdam central. You can also get on the tram right outside the entrance.

The downside of this hotel is the service. Although we received a friendly reception the staff all seem to be students some of whom seem to have had no training. We sat in the bar in full view of about 4 waiters and got no service unless I specifically asked to be served. They seem equally disorganised at breakfast and seems to struggle with some basics. They just seem to be happy to have a job and get some money, but there is no active management anywhere in this hotel.

In summary if they can improve the staff and create a proper service culture this hotel would get an above average rating!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to College Hotel? Share your experiences!