“Such an enjoyable stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of College Hotel

You added College Hotel to your Saves list
College Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Roelof Hartstraat 1, 1071 VE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #171 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Such an enjoyable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a night and we had such a wonderful stay. We had read some of the reviews about the student staff not being quite up to scratch, but i have to say that we experienced none of that. Really attentive and accommodating service from start to finish. We had a lovely room with high ceilings and beams, with a gorgeous bathroom. On the last Sunday of every month they have jazz playing in the terrace outside, which we were lucky enough to see. They even had two weddings on the same night we stayed and you would be none the wiser. A really gorgeous hotel with lovely decor and really friendly staff. Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Polish first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Loved our stay here. It is a beautiful hotel, with lovely grounds and public spaces, great big room with a proper separate toilet/shower and bath (we do not like this new tendency of all open plan business in new hotels).
It is well located, not super-central, but good enough.
It is quiet and well run. Bed is comfy and beddings are good.
Very romantic setting and with lots of character and style.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Izmir, Turkey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I stayed there for my meeting at RAI. I phoned them before to extend my stay, it was confirmed. When i arrived there, it took them half an hour to tell them that i am staying 3+1 day. They put my extension on another reservation. The atmosphere of the hotel is great anyways. However the curtains in my room was broken so they offered me another room so in total one and a half hours to be in my room. They give complimentary coffe only on your first day and you had to buy the rest. This was a first for me cause all hotels renew it daily. Well everything happened on my last day. It took them half an hour to write a sentence on my invoice. And in addition to one day hotel price plus 150 euros they blocked on my first day, they charged me an again. Why did they block one day room fee on the first day remains anonymous.
But more importantly they wanted to charge me again the next day again excusing they forgot to charge me so again they were asking me room price plus late informing fee(which was not something related to me and some extra charges which i did not eaten or drinken. I maybe send more than ten mails to get it solved.
Summary: the staff is not educated and has limited capacity. They charge you more so check your credit card or invoice! Service is horrible, excluding those at the bar.

Keystone, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

The College Hotel is a breeding ground for students that are looking to start a career in the hotel industry. This being said they are eager to please and will go above and beyond. Our stay was an interesting one as our room light would come on in the middle of the night and when I would turn it off it would come on again 30 minutes later. It made it hard to sleep as the bright light would wake both of us. I think it might have been a wiring problem because the light next to my side of the bed didn't work and when a staff member came to fix the bulb he was told to try a different outlet and it worked. The bed was also just two twin mattresses pushed together to make a larger bed. This was funny because my wife ended up getting a rash possibly bed bugs and I did not. Once again it was a very nice hotel and the staff was outstanding in making sure we were taken care of.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

This is a great funky hotel in a great location. The rooms are spacious with high ceilings, comfortable bed and good bathroom. The building is beautiful having been converted from an old school to a hotel - aesthetically the architectural detail is superb.

The location is excellent - we rented bikes from the hotel, which were in good condition and cycled to Amsterdam se Bos as well as around Amsterdam central. You can also get on the tram right outside the entrance.

The downside of this hotel is the service. Although we received a friendly reception the staff all seem to be students some of whom seem to have had no training. We sat in the bar in full view of about 4 waiters and got no service unless I specifically asked to be served. They seem equally disorganised at breakfast and seems to struggle with some basics. They just seem to be happy to have a job and get some money, but there is no active management anywhere in this hotel.

In summary if they can improve the staff and create a proper service culture this hotel would get an above average rating!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

Being a regular business traveller to Amsterdam I have stayed quite a number of nights in this hotel. The hotel is in the local business community getting a bad reputation for service. As a hotel school it employs (often very young) students that are left on their own without adequate supervision and guidance. As a result service is non-existent, despite (I'm sure) the best intentions. Check-in and check-out can take 30 minutes, room service up to more than 1 hour for a smoked salmon and I had my coffee served after I finished the breakfast; and these are not isolated cases. This is unacceptable for a business hotel serving business guests paying reasonably full rates. Moreover the rooms are getting a bit tired for wear. Finally the rooms in the front suffer from the noise of the tram that passes very often. Bring earplugs.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Simone D, Front Office Manager at College Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Dear Robert V.,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate it you took the time to give us your valuable feedback. We are very sorry to hear that your last stay was not to your satisfaction.

It is correct that we are a teaching hotel. We do have a lot of students from all over the Netherlands to learn how it is to work in a real hotel. All the students are supervised by teachers and hotel professionals.

Because you already mentioned your comments during your stay, we have made our apologies and have given you a quiet room in the back of the hotel.
Your comments are also discussed in our management team to improve the service.

Once again, thank you for your feedback, feedback is always important to us, so we can improve our service.

Please feel free to contact us if there is anything we can do for you. We hope, despite your experience, to welcome you again in The College Hotel.

Warm regards,

Simone
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

Just spent 2 nights here, rooms were nice, bathroom was spectacular. Situated in a really nice part of town. Friendly service, check in desk staff very helpful. Would definitely recommend.

Think I would prefer card keys to the traditional keys. Managed to leave my key in the door. Fortunately somebody took it and handed it into reception. Don't think they looked round my room first.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Been to College Hotel? Share your experiences!