“Facade and location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of College Hotel

You added College Hotel to your Saves list
College Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Roelof Hartstraat 1, 1071 VE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #172 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Milan, Italy
“Facade and location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

I stayed 2 nights in this hotel. The area is beautiful, an elegant quarter 5 minutes off the Rejiksmuseum. The stunning facade is there waiting for you, beautifully lightened at night so the website promise is kept. The inside is weird as what is left of the historical building is nice but the overall restyling is odd. Too dark, style not defined. My room was large, comfortable bed, equipped bathroom (spicy toiletries which I personally dislike). Room was too dark and lights were scattered around the room with no possibility to control Them centrally from the bed. Breakfast hall is dull (lonely planet travel guide set too high expectation..)
and food was not what you expect from a 4 star. I know Amsterdam and I would say you can find better hotels in this range. It is not all about facade!

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

The College Hotel is a beautiful hotel. When you walk in you are taken with the design from both the outside and the inside. That said, the staff is a little inexperienced and therefore the service isn't the best. The rooms are very nice and the deep soaking tubs are really amazing. But the rooms are dark - so if you want to put on any makeup bring extra lighting!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

The hotel seems a little out of town but this is actually in a really cool location; very near the main museums, away from the touristy centre and in the young, professional area of town so lots of great cafes, bars and nightlife. Hotel staff are trainees so they are a little less confident than you would expect of staff at a hotel of this standard, but otherwise the service is all quite good.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

The building is beautiful and the atmosphere relaxing and calm. The hotel is easy to reach from the airport and the location is good, near to the Museumplein. The staff is excellent - I did not recognize students from the "real" hotel team.

Unfortunately I got extremely ill during my stay in Amsterdam, so I spent most of the days in our room. When we ran out of pain killers and soft drinks (because of NYE every shop/pharmacy was closed), the hotel team gave us some medicine and sparkling water. They also sold us sweets, chips and soft drinks. Since they did not have any candy at the bar, the bartender searched some chocolate from the kitchen. If this is not excellent service then I do not know what is!

We had some of our few dinners in the hotel's bar. I ate hamburger which was really tasty but I would have expected better french fries for 16 euros. Because of the price of the breakfast (appr. 25 euros) we did not have it at the hotel. If you want to save your money and have your breakfast somewhere else, there are some really nice cafes nearby.

Our room was quiet and we did not hear anything from rooms next to us. The room was really romantic and suitable for a couple, but the lights are almost too dim. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The ceiling was high (about 4 meters), so although our room was small, it was not cramped.

I will definetely come back!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dave O, Front Office Manager at College Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for taking some of your valuable time to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay at The College Hotel. I am very proud to read that you experienced our hotel as excellent. We do hope you feel better now, and that the illness is gone.

I am happy to see that the efforts we take to train our staff is reflecting to our guests.

Concerning your comment about the hamburger and fries I have forwarded your comment to our Executive Chef. He will see what he can do to improve this.

Feedback is very important to us, as it is with this information that we are able to recognize and improve the critical points in our organization as we aim to serve our guests at the highest possible level.

In closing, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly if we can be of any additional assistance and we look forward to welcome you back at The College Hotel in the future.

Warm regards,

Front Office Manager
The College Hotel
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

This is a delightful hotel in a beautiful old brick building, with charming and helpful young staff. We were surprised to see the other reviews here complaining about the service, as we had no complaints at all. Our 2nd floor room could have done with more lighting, and we thought the breakfast at 25 euros was over-priced. Otherwise, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would happily recommend it. New Year's Eve dinner was particularly impressive.

Dear traveller,

Thank you for taking some of your valuable time to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay at The College Hotel. I am very proud to read that you experienced your stay as delightful.

We are happy to see that our efforts in training our students is resulting in happy guests. I will forward your comments to our entire staff to show them what the result is in their hard work of delivering the highest possible service to our guests.

Warm regards,

Front Office Manager
The College Hotel
Cheshire UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Ive stayed in this hotel on many many occasions, it really is a beautiful building, in a reasonably good location near to the museums and the RAI conference centre. On this occasion, however, I visited the hotel for afternoon tea on Christmas day and decided not to stay here but stay at the Conservatorium hotel instead, which was a smart move.

So let me explain why I have rated my very recent experience 1 out of 5.

I booked afternoon tea (booking made directly with the hotel in October with credit card guarantee) for my partner and I to arrive at 3pm to 3:15pm. I arrived at 3:15pm and spoke to the lady who was stood behind the desk by the doorway. She showed us into the bar area and advised us to choose a seat! No table or seating had been reserved for us even though I had made a reservation 2 months in advance and the bar was busy. Luckily there was one table left with 2 seats. A good 15 minutes passed without any acknowledgement from the staff to take drinks orders so I had to go over to the bar where 3 members of staff were chatting and order some drinks and explain that I was here for afternoon tea also.
10 minutes or so later our drinks arrived as well as the tea but no milk or sugar. I asked for this and it arrived about 10 minutes later.
Next up were the sandwiches which seemed to take an awfully long time and were very uninteresting. Ham, cheese, tuna with red onion and smoked salmon, all different sized quarters and all with the same salad on them. A pack from M&S would look more appetizing. At this point we were starving as it was gone 4:15pm so we polished them off and waited for the scones and cakes. I found it rather strange that it didn't all arrive at the same time, however, we were assured that they would be brought out soon. 30 minutes later at least I headed over to the bar and asked if the cakes were going to be served and I was told they were coming. They arrived and some were okay, some were tasteless. All in all a very disappointing experience.

We paid the 85euro bill for 2 afternoon teas and 1 drink each and left with the opinion that it is very unlikely we would return to the hotel, for food, drinks or to stay.
Service is laughable, continually disappointing and rather embarrassing. There is no management present, no kind of organisation for the simplest of tasks or finesse to speak of.

Whilst we were in the bar several people left as they didn't get any service which is a shame when special plans had been made for Christmas day, the hotel accepted bookings and couldn't deliver.

I have raised service issues before with the hotel and I get the same response which is 'the staff are in training' or 'the staff are students who are learning the trade'. This is all fair enough, I accept that even though I believe there has been a significant decline in the service from past visits...but if that if the case then the hotel need to price their product accordingly. As of now it is overpriced and lacking in many many ways. It's disappointing because this really could be a fantastic hotel.

Dear Sirs,

Thank you very much for taking some of your valuable time to share your thoughts regarding your recent experience at The College Hotel. We are sorry to read your experience was not to your satisfaction.

The College Hotel, a teaching hotel establishedin order to improve the education of the young students in of hospitality and tourism educations and to bring new talent to the hospitality industry. Since the opening of The College Hotel, 80 students from several schools in The Netherlands are trained in practical tasks in a real life situation and are schooled in all aspects of the hospitality industry. The students work under the supervision of a team of experienced teachers and hotel professionals.

We have checked with all departments concerning your comments. During this day it was very busy and therefore the service we provided was not the top service we normally want to provide to our guests. We are aware of this.

I am sorry to read that the Afternoon Tea you had was not to your satisfaction. Our Afternoon tea is always being served in 2 different courses. The first course are the sandwiches and secondly the sweet items. We should have informed you about that in advance, and I am sorry we did not do that. I am sorry as well to read that you disliked the taste of the items. Tastes are very personal and is difficult to anticipate on the guests needs. I have forwarded your comments concerning the taste to our Executive Chef in order to see what can be done on the presentation and taste of the products.

Your comments have been discussed in our management team in order to find solution for the lack of service you have experienced at your last visit. We will do our utmost best to upgrade our service product as of now. Our management members are taking care of good scheduling so we always have management staff on duty.

In closing, I would like to thank you to share your thoughts. These kind of feedback is very valuable for us to find critical points in our organisation and to find solutions to improve our services and products.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything we can do for you and we hope, despites of this experience, to welcome you in our hotel again soon.

With warm regards,
Manager The College Hotel
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

This was a return visit to the College Hotel, where I have stayed a few times in the past several years ago. Impressive building, well-located if you are planning to visit all the museums nearby.
However, sorry to report that the service has declined from previous visits and the rooms and some public areas are looking very tired and are in need of renovation. Considering that the prices for our three deluxe rooms are similar to other comparable Amsterdam hotels, the attention to detail in the rooms is severely lacking: bed linens are fine, but bathrobes were old and used, towels thin and cheap, and the tiny samples of bath gel, shampoo just not very generous. Aside from that, the dark colors of fabrics and carpeting are outdated, and the large room entrance is a waste of space. Waited almost 25 minutes for three Caesar salads in the bar at lunch, despite the fact that there were plenty of staff nearby. There seems to be a total lack of management. The young staff is kind and friendly, but needs some supervision and pushing. The College seems to be living on a reputation that it no longer deserves. Too bad, because with a little attention to detail and service, and some room renovations, it could once again be a good choice in Amsterdam

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for your stay and taking some of your valuable time to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay at The College Hotel. We are sorry to read your stay was not to your satisfaction.

We have discussed your points of concerns in our management team. At this time we are investigating options to refurbish our hotel rooms to be at the highest level, guests expects from us. As well your comment concerning waiting time, we have discussed, and we are very sorry for this. We know that time of travellers are very valuable and therefore we should deliver our products as fast as possible. We would like to deliver as well a high standard of quality, which take some time sometimes. Our Executive Chef is informed about your comment to see how we can improve time delivery without declining the quality of our products.

In closing, I would like to thank you to share your thoughts. Please do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything we can do for you.

Thank you!
Kind regards,
Dave Overeem

Been to College Hotel? Share your experiences!