“Decline in service” 1 of 5 stars
Review of College Hotel

Save Saved
You added College Hotel to your Saves list
College Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Roelof Hartstraat 1, 1071 VE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #170 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Cheshire UK
“Decline in service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Ive stayed in this hotel on many many occasions, it really is a beautiful building, in a reasonably good location near to the museums and the RAI conference centre. On this occasion, however, I visited the hotel for afternoon tea on Christmas day and decided not to stay here but stay at the Conservatorium hotel instead, which was a smart move.

So let me explain why I have rated my very recent experience 1 out of 5.

I booked afternoon tea (booking made directly with the hotel in October with credit card guarantee) for my partner and I to arrive at 3pm to 3:15pm. I arrived at 3:15pm and spoke to the lady who was stood behind the desk by the doorway. She showed us into the bar area and advised us to choose a seat! No table or seating had been reserved for us even though I had made a reservation 2 months in advance and the bar was busy. Luckily there was one table left with 2 seats. A good 15 minutes passed without any acknowledgement from the staff to take drinks orders so I had to go over to the bar where 3 members of staff were chatting and order some drinks and explain that I was here for afternoon tea also.
10 minutes or so later our drinks arrived as well as the tea but no milk or sugar. I asked for this and it arrived about 10 minutes later.
Next up were the sandwiches which seemed to take an awfully long time and were very uninteresting. Ham, cheese, tuna with red onion and smoked salmon, all different sized quarters and all with the same salad on them. A pack from M&S would look more appetizing. At this point we were starving as it was gone 4:15pm so we polished them off and waited for the scones and cakes. I found it rather strange that it didn't all arrive at the same time, however, we were assured that they would be brought out soon. 30 minutes later at least I headed over to the bar and asked if the cakes were going to be served and I was told they were coming. They arrived and some were okay, some were tasteless. All in all a very disappointing experience.

We paid the 85euro bill for 2 afternoon teas and 1 drink each and left with the opinion that it is very unlikely we would return to the hotel, for food, drinks or to stay.
Service is laughable, continually disappointing and rather embarrassing. There is no management present, no kind of organisation for the simplest of tasks or finesse to speak of.

Whilst we were in the bar several people left as they didn't get any service which is a shame when special plans had been made for Christmas day, the hotel accepted bookings and couldn't deliver.

I have raised service issues before with the hotel and I get the same response which is 'the staff are in training' or 'the staff are students who are learning the trade'. This is all fair enough, I accept that even though I believe there has been a significant decline in the service from past visits...but if that if the case then the hotel need to price their product accordingly. As of now it is overpriced and lacking in many many ways. It's disappointing because this really could be a fantastic hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dave O, Manager at College Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Sirs,

Thank you very much for taking some of your valuable time to share your thoughts regarding your recent experience at The College Hotel. We are sorry to read your experience was not to your satisfaction.

The College Hotel, a teaching hotel establishedin order to improve the education of the young students in of hospitality and tourism educations and to bring new talent to the hospitality industry. Since the opening of The College Hotel, 80 students from several schools in The Netherlands are trained in practical tasks in a real life situation and are schooled in all aspects of the hospitality industry. The students work under the supervision of a team of experienced teachers and hotel professionals.

We have checked with all departments concerning your comments. During this day it was very busy and therefore the service we provided was not the top service we normally want to provide to our guests. We are aware of this.

I am sorry to read that the Afternoon Tea you had was not to your satisfaction. Our Afternoon tea is always being served in 2 different courses. The first course are the sandwiches and secondly the sweet items. We should have informed you about that in advance, and I am sorry we did not do that. I am sorry as well to read that you disliked the taste of the items. Tastes are very personal and is difficult to anticipate on the guests needs. I have forwarded your comments concerning the taste to our Executive Chef in order to see what can be done on the presentation and taste of the products.

Your comments have been discussed in our management team in order to find solution for the lack of service you have experienced at your last visit. We will do our utmost best to upgrade our service product as of now. Our management members are taking care of good scheduling so we always have management staff on duty.

In closing, I would like to thank you to share your thoughts. These kind of feedback is very valuable for us to find critical points in our organisation and to find solutions to improve our services and products.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything we can do for you and we hope, despites of this experience, to welcome you in our hotel again soon.

With warm regards,
Dave Overeem
Manager The College Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Polish first
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

This was a return visit to the College Hotel, where I have stayed a few times in the past several years ago. Impressive building, well-located if you are planning to visit all the museums nearby.
However, sorry to report that the service has declined from previous visits and the rooms and some public areas are looking very tired and are in need of renovation. Considering that the prices for our three deluxe rooms are similar to other comparable Amsterdam hotels, the attention to detail in the rooms is severely lacking: bed linens are fine, but bathrobes were old and used, towels thin and cheap, and the tiny samples of bath gel, shampoo just not very generous. Aside from that, the dark colors of fabrics and carpeting are outdated, and the large room entrance is a waste of space. Waited almost 25 minutes for three Caesar salads in the bar at lunch, despite the fact that there were plenty of staff nearby. There seems to be a total lack of management. The young staff is kind and friendly, but needs some supervision and pushing. The College seems to be living on a reputation that it no longer deserves. Too bad, because with a little attention to detail and service, and some room renovations, it could once again be a good choice in Amsterdam

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dave O, Manager at College Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for your stay and taking some of your valuable time to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay at The College Hotel. We are sorry to read your stay was not to your satisfaction.

We have discussed your points of concerns in our management team. At this time we are investigating options to refurbish our hotel rooms to be at the highest level, guests expects from us. As well your comment concerning waiting time, we have discussed, and we are very sorry for this. We know that time of travellers are very valuable and therefore we should deliver our products as fast as possible. We would like to deliver as well a high standard of quality, which take some time sometimes. Our Executive Chef is informed about your comment to see how we can improve time delivery without declining the quality of our products.

In closing, I would like to thank you to share your thoughts. Please do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything we can do for you.

Thank you!
Kind regards,
Dave Overeem
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

The hotel is near Museum Square. Out of the city centre, but close enough that you can walk to many places and take public transport if you like. The staff is really excellent, and they try to answer all your questions and make your that you enjoy your stay. However, the design/configuration of the hotel makes it a bit somber, too dark to our liking. I would say a bit better than average.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Stayed here recently on a weekend trip. the hotel is in a lovely part of town, walking distance to Museum platz and central.
the building is impressive but the decor is looking a bit tired and faded. It could do with a refurb in parts.
The heating in the room is quite hot and dry. Woke up in the morning with very dry skin and it was an uncomfortable sleep. Beds comfy, however.
No bath, cheap products

What really lets it down is the service. Although the hotel is staffed with trainees, they make very little effort to engage you. Breakfast service was a disaster, and the food was a bit dull to make matters worse.

Not really worhty of 4 stars in my opinion, more of a 3 star.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

The College hotel is a tastefully restored building a little way out of the centre of the city but worth the short walk. Having visited in the winter, it felt cosy to see open fires burning in the lounge and bar rooms. The guest room we stayed in was comfortable and clean but very dimly lit. It was dark on the day of our arrival and we had to wait until the light of the morning to be able to acquaint ourselves with the details of the room, for example, the electrical sockets for phone chargers and that there was actually a minibar.
Our disappointments were the service and the quality of the food. Considering the price of a night's stay and that the College is a 4* hotel, I was expecting more in both areas. There was no welcome from the lady at Reception when we arrived. Indeed, she gave the impression we were inconveniencing her by wanting to check in. We ordered room service on the first night and the food was tasteless and expensive. We did not make the same mistake again for the rest of our stay.
As a 4*, this hotel should be doing much more to ensure they have happy customers which is worrying considering they are a training hotel for aspiring hoteliers.
I don't like to make a review public without giving the hotel the feedback first, so I wrote direct to the management of the hotel about our disappointments. I received no response from them.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I was recommended by a Dutch friend who lives in Amsterdam, so I reserved this hotel without a doubt.
Since this hotel is located in the middle of town, it was a bit hard to find a parking spot and forgot to reserve a parking in their facility.
A receptionist at the front desk was helpful and friendly, when my hubby left to park the car, she was so lovely to carry one of my suitcases.
I have asked regarding the restaurants and she was most helpful.
In the end, we have decided to dine in their restaurant which showed that was a good decision.
Juan is the name of our waiter of the night and he was so lovely, polite and served us with a big smile and the best service that anyone dream of.
We were so amazed by the quality of each dish and the effort that they have put.
It was 4 courses with 3 amuse bouches which was too much for me but my hubby was very happy:)
For the price that you pay, you will get much more that, it was a haute cuisine and experimental dish decorated beautifully!
I do recommend this hotel and the restaurant to everyone who is going to visit Amsterdam.
I certainly will go back to this charming hotel!!!

• Stayed November 2013
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Great location near all the museums . Very stylish hotel with very pleasant and helpful staff .
Unfortunately the restaurant lets it down , pretentious [ waiters in white gloves ] trying too hard to serve Haute Cuisine , which it was far from it . All too complicated and the result very bland .
But I would stay there again

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Been to College Hotel? Share your experiences!