“Cool Hotel in a great location of Amsterdam!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of College Hotel

Save Saved
You added College Hotel to your Saves list
College Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Roelof Hartstraat 1, 1071 VE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #149 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Charleston, South Carolina
“Cool Hotel in a great location of Amsterdam!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed at the College Hotel on July 6th before setting sail on a Baltic Sea Cruise with Celebrity. From our first communication to our check out everything went seamlessly. The staff went out of their way to be accommodating, room and bath adequate, comfy pillows. We took the tram from the airport to the hotel and it was very easy. We took the trams all over the city. Amsterdam is very easy to transverse on foot and tram. Just beware of the bicycles. Hard to get used to at first. I almost got run down at one point. Just pay attention to the bike paths at all times. The hotel has a lovely inside bar and a nice courtyard which is lit up at night. Food looks wonderful although we thought it was a bit expensive. Enjoyed our stay and feel you would enjoy this experience also.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

269 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Polish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Didn't stay there. Just had Saturday afternoon tea and drinks. What a disaster. Tons of waiters and waitresses walking around but they are totally disinterested in the guests. You have to wave and shout to get any attention. No one cleans the tables outside where we were sitting. They are dirty and unappetizing. No one cleans up after guests have left. The table next to us was littered with cups and glasses and napkins etc for at least 1 1/2 hours and I pointed it out to a waitress and still nothing happened. We sat there for more than 2 hours and no one came by to any of the tables to ask if anyone wanted to order something. How they make money here is a mystery to me. Great location, super building, bit it's a mess! Pity.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dave O, Manager at College Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear StephenGeven,

Thank you for your recent visit at our terrace and taking some of your valuable time to share your thoughts. We are sorry to read your visit was not to your satisfaction.

The College Hotel, a teaching hotel establishedin order to improve the education of the young students in of hospitality and tourism educations and to bring new talent to the hospitality industry
Since the opening of The College Hotel, 80 students from several schools in The Netherlands are trained in practical tasks in a real life situation and are schooled in all aspects of the hospitality industry. The students work under the supervision of a team of experienced teachers and hotel professionals.

I can imagine that your experience was not satisfying. Due the fact that the terrace is getting more crouded by the good weather we still have to find a way to structure the terrace service more efficient. We are very happy with your feedback, which allow us to train our students the best possible way with real examples.

In the meantime your comment have been discussed in the F&B management team in order to find solutions for the moments you have experienced. I can assure you that changes in the service teams will be implemented to the best possible way very shortly. We are very sorry this experience was not to your satisfaction and we hope to be able to welcome you again in our hotel or on our terrace to show you we can better then this.

In closing, I would like to thank you to share your thoughts. Please do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything we can do for you.

With kind regards,
Dave Overeem
Malmo, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

this is only concerning the restaurant and i did have a very nice dinner. The menu with wine was very nice complimentet each other.

The food was nice presented and explained by the waiter with every dish. The decoration is nice and to the romantic side, i liked it.

The waiters was not all so experienced but very polite and atentive.

The value for Money i think was okay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Athens, Greece
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Excellent location, nice building, moderate furniture, helpful staff.
I would appreciate having a tv set properly working on the evening of my arrival, and not having to wait 24 hours, and to extend 3 requests to the reception, in order to fix it! And for the room price I paid, I could have done without one staff member recommendation to get up and adjust the volume at the tv set itself, because the remote control was not working!
Also, after 3 days of stay, I was not able to sort out the way that electric lights worked in the room, and had to improvise each time.

Breakfast definitely not worth the 24 euros (cheese, ham, fruits, breads,cakes, cereals and yogurt), and staff at restaurant were quite obvious in showing that they were closing at 10 am, making me feel guilty a morning that I showed up at 9.45 am for breakfast!
All in all, nice but definitely overpriced.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Prague, Czech Republic
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Travelling the world I have finally found the worst 4* hotel in Europe. Even if the location is really good and hotel looks stylish I would never go there again. It´s just too much money for nothing. Our (confirmed) rooms were not ready, there were moths flying everywhere (most probably from those textile decorations and sofas), hotel is full of mice and one was even in our room eating my pralines (see picture) and the staff was the most unfriendly, unhelpful and slow staff I have ever seen. I just can´t recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: First floor was noicy because of the wedding party. Second was hot.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Amsterdam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

The location of the College Hotel is fantastic making it easy to get around the city. The staff were very helpful. However, I think the hotel is overpriced. The decorations in my room were a bit tired and could do with a refurb!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dornbirn, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stayed in the College Hotel from the 12th to the 13th of May 2013. Having lived in Amsterdam for over 5 years I always appreciated the College Hotel for its marvellous lounge, fireplace and cocktails.

Staying there overnight was still a very pleasant experience. The atmosphere of the hotel is fantastic and also the rooms are very stylish. What I did not appreciate was a hole in my bed linnen as well as quite a few crumbs from the ceiling in my bathtub. Finally we were informed by the waitress in the bar that they were not open for cocktails yet (7 p.m. ?!?). When asking the bartender directly, he served us scrumptious cocktails though with a very special and very individual service.

I payed around 158.- Euros for a nice room and it was worth its money. The breakfast for 24,50 Euros definitly wasn't....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to College Hotel? Share your experiences!