“Pleasant ambience, moderate experience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The College Hotel

You added The College Hotel to your Saves list
The College Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Roelof Hartstraat 1, 1071 VE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museum Quarter (Museumkwartier))   |
Ranked #150 of 355 Hotels in Amsterdam
Athens, Greece
“Pleasant ambience, moderate experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Excellent location, nice building, moderate furniture, helpful staff.
I would appreciate having a tv set properly working on the evening of my arrival, and not having to wait 24 hours, and to extend 3 requests to the reception, in order to fix it! And for the room price I paid, I could have done without one staff member recommendation to get up and adjust the volume at the tv set itself, because the remote control was not working!
Also, after 3 days of stay, I was not able to sort out the way that electric lights worked in the room, and had to improvise each time.

Breakfast definitely not worth the 24 euros (cheese, ham, fruits, breads,cakes, cereals and yogurt), and staff at restaurant were quite obvious in showing that they were closing at 10 am, making me feel guilty a morning that I showed up at 9.45 am for breakfast!
All in all, nice but definitely overpriced.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Polish first
Prague, Czech Republic
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Travelling the world I have finally found the worst 4* hotel in Europe. Even if the location is really good and hotel looks stylish I would never go there again. It´s just too much money for nothing. Our (confirmed) rooms were not ready, there were moths flying everywhere (most probably from those textile decorations and sofas), hotel is full of mice and one was even in our room eating my pralines (see picture) and the staff was the most unfriendly, unhelpful and slow staff I have ever seen. I just can´t recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: First floor was noicy because of the wedding party. Second was hot.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Amsterdam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

The location of the College Hotel is fantastic making it easy to get around the city. The staff were very helpful. However, I think the hotel is overpriced. The decorations in my room were a bit tired and could do with a refurb!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dornbirn, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stayed in the College Hotel from the 12th to the 13th of May 2013. Having lived in Amsterdam for over 5 years I always appreciated the College Hotel for its marvellous lounge, fireplace and cocktails.

Staying there overnight was still a very pleasant experience. The atmosphere of the hotel is fantastic and also the rooms are very stylish. What I did not appreciate was a hole in my bed linnen as well as quite a few crumbs from the ceiling in my bathtub. Finally we were informed by the waitress in the bar that they were not open for cocktails yet (7 p.m. ?!?). When asking the bartender directly, he served us scrumptious cocktails though with a very special and very individual service.

I payed around 158.- Euros for a nice room and it was worth its money. The breakfast for 24,50 Euros definitly wasn't....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Basel, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here, excellent location, beautiful room and very clean. It is located in a beautiful neighborhood which is just far enough away from the busy parts of the city to provide a nice break when you need it. The chocolates and water every night were nice touch and most of staff were super helpful though not all were outwardly friendly. My only complaint is we had some lights that would come on randomly in the middle of the night. Slightly disturbing! Absolutely recommend this hotel and will stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stayed at the College Hotel for the first night of my honeymoon. I could not have picked a better place! The room was clean and amazing! We arrived at the hotel 3 to 4 hours before check-in and the hotel staff showed us right to our room. Everything was above my expectations! We later had dinner in the restaurant which was delightfully unique and fun. The service was wonderful and we received a beautiful complementary desert with our meal. Later we also received a bottle of champagne in our room to celebrate! I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone looking for a romantic get away. However take note that the hotel is in the museum district and not in the city center!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Hotel is in a good location, slightly outside the centre but only a short walk to the Museum district. Tram stops directly outside hotel should walking not be suitable. Hotel is well run, staff are courteous and friendly and the rooms are spacious, well furnished and quiet. I've stayed in Amsterdam several times and this hotel ranks amongst the best I've stayed in and I'd certainly not hesitate in recommending this hotel to friends and family. Overall and excellent weekend

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple