“College Hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of College Hotel

Save Saved
You added College Hotel to your Saves list
College Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Roelof Hartstraat 1, Amsterdam 1071 VE, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #153 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Amsterdam
“College Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

The location of the College Hotel is fantastic making it easy to get around the city. The staff were very helpful. However, I think the hotel is overpriced. The decorations in my room were a bit tired and could do with a refurb!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

270 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Polish first
Dornbirn, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stayed in the College Hotel from the 12th to the 13th of May 2013. Having lived in Amsterdam for over 5 years I always appreciated the College Hotel for its marvellous lounge, fireplace and cocktails.

Staying there overnight was still a very pleasant experience. The atmosphere of the hotel is fantastic and also the rooms are very stylish. What I did not appreciate was a hole in my bed linnen as well as quite a few crumbs from the ceiling in my bathtub. Finally we were informed by the waitress in the bar that they were not open for cocktails yet (7 p.m. ?!?). When asking the bartender directly, he served us scrumptious cocktails though with a very special and very individual service.

I payed around 158.- Euros for a nice room and it was worth its money. The breakfast for 24,50 Euros definitly wasn't....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Basel, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here, excellent location, beautiful room and very clean. It is located in a beautiful neighborhood which is just far enough away from the busy parts of the city to provide a nice break when you need it. The chocolates and water every night were nice touch and most of staff were super helpful though not all were outwardly friendly. My only complaint is we had some lights that would come on randomly in the middle of the night. Slightly disturbing! Absolutely recommend this hotel and will stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stayed at the College Hotel for the first night of my honeymoon. I could not have picked a better place! The room was clean and amazing! We arrived at the hotel 3 to 4 hours before check-in and the hotel staff showed us right to our room. Everything was above my expectations! We later had dinner in the restaurant which was delightfully unique and fun. The service was wonderful and we received a beautiful complementary desert with our meal. Later we also received a bottle of champagne in our room to celebrate! I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone looking for a romantic get away. However take note that the hotel is in the museum district and not in the city center!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Hotel is in a good location, slightly outside the centre but only a short walk to the Museum district. Tram stops directly outside hotel should walking not be suitable. Hotel is well run, staff are courteous and friendly and the rooms are spacious, well furnished and quiet. I've stayed in Amsterdam several times and this hotel ranks amongst the best I've stayed in and I'd certainly not hesitate in recommending this hotel to friends and family. Overall and excellent weekend

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I had one night stay at this hotel during a business trip in Apr 2013.

Although positioned slightly away from city centre, the hotel is located next to many major museums (within walking distance). A 15-min tram ride will take you to city centre and train station.

It is a nicely designed hotel which was converted from a college building.The lighting scheme of the hotel is on the dark side, which is a nice ambiance. It looks trendy for most parts, but some parts are just too dark. I really needed a torch to light up every time I open my door as the corner of my door has nearly no lighting at all.

Strangely, only one key is given per room, even for twin sharing. The reception said that only one key is given to each room even if there are more than 1 guest. This is rather inconvenient when the 2 guests go out separately. Instead, they are advised by the reception to put the key in the reception in such case.

My room is on the 2nd floor and has a lovely inclined ceiling. The room is quiet and beds are comfortable. Like others have said, the switches and control for lighting are difficult to find. There is not enough lighting on the desk if you need to read or work there. The air condition occasionally turns off by itself... sometimes 2 hours and sometimes 5 minutes after turning it on.

The bathroom has a heated mirror, which is nice. However, there is nowhere to hang any towels or clothes. In my room the sink is strangely located OUTSIDE the bathroom, but INSIDE a wardrobe, which is quite awful to use especially when you need to wash your hands after toilet, and I needed to open and close the wardrobe door each time I used it. The towels were difficult to find as they were placed in the bottom of this wardrobe, not in the bathroom. Free wifi was provided during my stay and the speed was fast.

Breakfast was listed to be available from 0700-1000. I had personal affairs to do outside and need to finish breakfast by 0745. However no any food was available until 0715 when they started to take out some bread and fruits. NO any hot food (beacon, whatever type of eggs...) were available when i left at 0745, but I learned from a travel-mate who had breakfast later than me did have those types of food available.

All in all I like the concept of the hotel, but there are things that they need to improve.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to College Hotel? Share your experiences!