“Favourite Hangout!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of College Hotel

You added College Hotel to your Saves list
College Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Roelof Hartstraat 1, 1071 VE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #179 of 343 Hotels in Amsterdam
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Favourite Hangout!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2008

We were in for a surprise this time visiting Amsterdam. After reading an article in Travel + Leisure on this hotel, we thought we try it out. Never encountered anything like it, and we've travelled a lot, mainly through Europe. The atmosphere is just amazing, ancient building with perfect lighting, combination of fabrics like silk and velvet make it just devine. The bar is a popular hangout for locals, and we just mingled right in! Excellent cocktails, The College Swinger was definately my favourite :-) Unfortunately we didn't have the change to dine in the restaurant, which looked amazing as well, so we had some bites in the bar. The presentation of the soup was really funny. Coming to the staff, well, they are youngsters who are being trained. We knew this beforehand and we must say, we were pleasantly surprised. We saw teenagers doing their best to please us and being trained to become professional. Very helpfull for sure. We would certainly go back here in summer, so we can try out on of their scooters they rent out! Faboulous idea!

• Liked — Atmosphere in the hotel
  • Disliked — We had a room without a bath
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Polish first
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2007

I have just come back from a superb four-day stay at The College Hotel. This is a stunning, luxury property, just the right size (not too big; not too small) located in an upscale, residential section of Amsterdam. It truly offers the best of both worlds. The museums and Concertgebouw are a quick five minute walk away. Trams directly, in front of the hotel, have you in city center in about 10-minutes.

I booked a deluxe double (#108)—a large corner room with four big windows-- and it didn’t disappoint. You entered into a long entrance foyer in which there was a closet, lots of mirrors and the entrance to the bathroom (also quite nice with a large tub and handheld shower). The hallway took you to the sleeping area in which there was a comfy, cozy double bed, two night stands and a desk with a flat screen TV. Then it was up two steps to a large seating area containing small sofa, chair, coffee table, mini-bar and other furnishings that completed the look of the room.

There was everything you would expect of a luxury hotel. A particularly nice touch was the fresh bottle of water and plate of apples left by my bedside each night.

I have stayed in a number of 4 and 5 star hotels in my day and I am very picky. I must say that the customer service I received at The College was the best I have ever experienced—from my first exploratory phone call to the cab that was ordered and arrived just on time for my 5:45am trip to the train station. The reservation manager spent ages on the phone with me helping to pick the perfect room. When I arrived, the room I had been promised was ready for me. Check-in was quick and easy. Every need was met from then on.

I grant you that some of the trainees are a bit “unseasoned” but what they lack in experience they make up for in enthusiasm and warmth. And, there is always an experienced pro nearby to step in and assist if needed.

Staying at The College was a treat. I can’t wait to go back.

Stayed November 2007
Manchester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2007

My husband and I stayed here on the last bit of our honeymoon. The hotel looked great, plush decor and beautiful furnishings but we found customer service left a lot to be desired. Having had a pleasant stay we went to bed early on our last night only to be woken up several hours later by a member of staff unlocking our room door coming into the room with a delivery, mistakenly thinking the room was vacant. He hadn't knocked first so didn't hear our cries of protest that he'd got the wrong room. Our sleep was interrupted and we did not then have a relaxing time the rest of the night. When I mentioned the incident to the member of staff on reception when I was checking out he seemed very disinterested, admitted it had been him who'd done it and sort of shrugged it off with barely an audible sorry. I was appalled at the attitude, all I wanted as an acknowledgement and a proper apology. When I wrote a letter of complaint on my return to the UK I was disappointed not to have received a reply. Therefore I am not able to recommend this hotel because of this unfortunate incident and the complete lack of interest from hotel staff in making up or apologising for it.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2007

I like to stay in five star properties, although this is rated five star, i think it really may be 4 star. The rooms are nicely furnished although the lighting in the rooms leave so much to be desired. The beds are very comfortable with nice down duvets. The rain showerhead is AMAZING! There were not any towel warmers, but who cares. The bathroom also needs additional lighting. Everything in this hotel room is very nice and plush, but too dark. The hotel bar rocks, Each night the crowd was a grouping of 30 and 40 somethings enjoying themselves. The only major drawback of the hotel is the staff. They are students in hospitality and do have a lot to learn! During my stay, the staff was not proficient in giving a tourist directions, They did, however, perfect the art of giving out maps! They were professional but not really friendly. When I stay in a hotel, I always try to find the personality of the staff- makes me feel more comfortable while i am in a foreign city. A turn off was being charged a 25 Euro deposit to borrow an adapter. I would consider staying here again- but that is because I already know a bit about the city.

• Liked — the cozy rooms
  • Disliked — the lack of lighting in the rooms
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
Ascot, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2007

Expensive with a little twist to it. This hotel is run by hotel and catering students with supervision of course. With that comes some drawbacks as the service received for paying quite a lot does not add
up. However, because it is run by students, they tend to be careful and ever so obliging. We did not have any problems whatsoever.

The hotel itself is quite understated. It is located quite close to the city centre and the tram stop is only opposite the hotel. Getting
around was not difficult as Amsterdam is a walkable city. The hotel itself is difficult to locate if you have to find it yourself as there are no big signs. It was an old school but totally refurbished so it looks very up-to-date on the inside and very contemporary. The rooms are situated in a dark corridor with uplighters as the only light. The was on the top floor so the ceilings were vaulted. There was little natural light with a velux window on the highest floors. Dark woods are everywhere. The bedlinen were really comfortable and there is a turn down service every evening with chocolates. The bathroom was again very chic and modern. The floors were heated so there was no cold feet on the natural stone floors.

The restaurant was again run by students. Food was ok but service was poor for the price paid. Overall, a pleasant stay albeit a bit pricey.

• Liked — Bedrooms and bathroom
  • Disliked — Service under par
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
newcastle upon tyne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2007

This was my first trip to Amsterdam so I was unsure what to expect.

The hotel itself was fantastic very boutique and modern. I am in my 20's and with my boyfriend and it suited us perfectly. We booked last minute so were unsure as to whether we would get a decent room.

We arrived at the hotel early but our room was ready which was great. The hotel has only 40 rooms spread between the first and second floor. We were on the second floor in room 210 which was around the side of the building. The room was fantastic. It had high ceilings with exposed wooden beams and a bath to die for.Every evening staff arrived at the room with a bottle of cold water and chocolates just what you need after a day of sightseeing. They service the room whenever you like and turn down the beds each evening.

The only downside to the hotel is the road noise which is due to the original wooden windows. It is not a very busy road its probably just because i am a light sleeper. The oher down side is the room was quite dark there are only lamps to light the rooms and corridors with downlighters in the bathroom, this made it difficult to have a shower as you were practically in darkness.

The location of the hotel was what i was most worried about, i thought it was going to be miles away from the centre. Its actually 5-8 minutes walk from the museum centre where the rembrant, van gough museums are. It is a 10 minute tram ride to Dam Square which is probably the furthest you need to go as everything else is inbetween. I would recommend Leisplein for a few drinks on a night, very safe and some good bars and restaurants.

Trams run from directly outside of the hotel and you can get the 5 or 24 to central station and it stops at all of the main attractions on the way. We never waited more than 5 minutes for a tram to arrive which was great as you don't want to spend your break waiting for transport.

Staff at the hotel were not brilliant but we expected that before we went, they are students after all. The ones on reception were great but the waiters and chefs at breakfast in the hotel were useless. One day our breakfast order was incorrect 3 times so we just gave up and ate what we were given. Toast was served 20 minutes after the scrambled egg so it was cold. It was little thing s like that which were annoying as it was nothing to do with there ability it was common sense.

When we checked out of the hotel we asked to leave our bags as we wanted to go sightseeing this was done without issue. However when we went to settle our bill they tried to charge us 70 euro for room service which we had not had. This took a while to sort out but eventually they realsied that we were not going to pay.

All in all a fantastic hotel but if you are expecting 5* service think again. You have to be patient with them but i was starting to get fed up with the lack of common sense.

• Liked — the huge bath
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Island of Malta, Malta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2007

The College Hotel is indeed a unique hotel. The designers have made stunning efforts to preserve the integrity of the architecture, beautiful old arches and tall ceilings. It's definitely one of a kind
in Amsterdam. We loved the bar and the restaurant, the embience, food, drinks, staff service were superb.

We booked into the Luxury Double Bedroom (supposedly just one size smaller than the suite rooms), and we were surprised how small the 4th largest room in the hotel turned out to be. For the same price, we could have booked into a Hilton or Sheraton and got away with a more spacious room.

Our room was on the 2nd floor, adjacent to the stairs. This became a problem in the morning when other guests used the stairs and each time the heavy door slams shut, it echoed into our room! Suggest to future visitors to request for a room away from the stairs unless you
don't mind waking up at 7am.

Front desk staff still needed more time to get into the groove of serving in a luxury hotel. When I overheard a response to a request:
"NO, we don't have any other rooms", I thought the response was quite
shocking. It could have been "I'm terribly sorry, we are overbooked today, but I could offer you another room tomorrow as we would have a vacancy". I think it would have gone down better with the customer.

• Liked — architecture, interior design
  • Disliked — small room, huge price tag
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to College Hotel? Share your experiences!