“Very unique atmosphere ... a place you won't forget” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The College Hotel

You added The College Hotel to your Saves list
The College Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Roelof Hartstraat 1, 1071 VE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museum Quarter (Museumkwartier))   |
Ranked #146 of 355 Hotels in Amsterdam
Geneva, Switzerland
“Very unique atmosphere ... a place you won't forget”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

"Special", "unique" are words I would use to describe the atmosphere at this hotel. When you penetrate into the building through the large and elegant main door, it's a big wow feeling! At the reception and in the hallway, colors are dark and atmosphere is very cosy.
I would say staff is also a bit different than in regular hotels...maybe a bit too cold and distant. We would have appreciated a warmer welcome, as warm as the hotel's design and decoration.
The bedroom was pretty but not outstanding, and I was really disappointed not to find any bathtube...which is a must for a 4-stars hotel. The room's decoration also looked a bit "cheaper" than the materials and elements used in public areas.
Breakfast buffet was very good, although some cutlery was missing at the buffet, and some guests used their hands to help themselves...the pastries served at the breakfast buffet are really cute and yummy (i.e. mini doughnuts, cupcakes...). Big Bravo for the breakfast room, which looks beautiful. I could have stayed there for hours.

Unique, but not perfect...Anyway, I would return to this hotel for a trip to Amsterdam!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dave O, Front Office Manager at The College Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for taking some of your valuable time to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay at The College Hotel. We are sorry about the fact that you expected to be booked in a room with a bath tub, and that this was not done. Our hotel consists of all unique hotelrooms, so every hotelroom is different. We do have rooms with bath tub.

If you will stay with us again, please notify us that you prefer to have a bath tub. We will do our best to fulfill your requests as soon as we allocating the rooms.

Feedback is very important to us, as it is with this information that we are able to recognize and improve the critical points in our organization as we aim to serve our guests at the highest possible level.

In closing, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly if we can be of any additional assistance and we look forward to welcome you back at The College Hotel in the future.

Warm regards,

The College Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Polish first
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

Do not be put off by students running the hotel - they do a good job - maybe not quite as polished as a Hilton, but plenty of passion. I reduced my stay half way through and they only charged me an extra night - so pretty fair I thought.

Rooms are small but very well appointed, comfortable and quiet. Really cool bar downstairs with a nice open courtyard to sit in if it is not too cold.

Great renovation and very good value if you are after something beyond the pre packaged chains.

Walking distance to Rembrandt Museum and RAI and some nice bistros around the corner. My second stay and would definately go back if I am in Amsterdam again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

I went with a group of friends. The hotel is beautiful, restaurant is very good. LOVE me some Amsterdam!!! MUCH fun was had, memory is a bit foggy, but I know I'd stay here again next time I'm in town. I do remember the rooms being lovely and the staff being FANTASTIC!!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

Early October 2011, I had booked a room with College Hotel with a tariff of 250 Euros/night. A week before the day of arrival, I had to cancel the trip due to an unexpected issue and subsequently called the hotel to cancel the booking over the phone. According to the cancellation policy of the hotel, there was not to be any monetary penalization, which was also confirmed to us when we spoke to the the staff. However the Hotel charged us for one nights stay (for no apparent reason or justification). Since then, I have called 3-4 times and spoken to 'Erica' and 'Dave' from the front office, who has assured me that the hotel manager would call me back to resolve the issue. It has been close to 4 months and I am yet to receive any correspondence with them. I am a reasonable person with very reasonable expectation of personal and professional behavior from individuals and organizations. I have, however, reached my limit of patience and thus taking to this forum to voice my grievance. This hotel was personally recommended by a close friend but having had this very unpleasant experience at the hands of the Hotel management, will never want to book it or recommend it to anyone. Very disappointing.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

Was a little dubious of booking this hotel after reading reviews regarding the service due it being run by students however was most definately impressed. The hotel itself is exceptionally good looking being a converted school/monastry. The rooms are dark and romantic and the communal areas including the outside area are well thought out. The staff, although a little slow at times, were fantastic and couldn't do enough for us. The restaurant is nice but would feel better if it had the same atmosphere as the rest of the hotel - it was rather bright however there is nothing at all to stop us from staying here again and will be doing so in the not too distant future (hopefully)!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Dave O, Front Office Manager at The College Hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review.

We are delighted to hear that you had a nice stay with us. We do our best to give our guest the best experience.

We hope to be able to welcome you in the near future again.

Warm regards on behalf of the enire team,

The College Hotel.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

I booked this trip as a surprise for my boyfriend's birthday. I contacted the hotel in advance with queries which they helped with promptly and informatively. I spoke with a lady called Louise who was totally lovely and organised a couple of little surprises of her own for our trip. We were upgraded, not only to the luxury room but the VIP room where the likes of Phil Collins, Beyonce and Jamie Oliver have stayed. She organised a birthday cake, free of charge! We dined in the restaurant on the first night, food was delicious, service was perfect! Considering many of the staff were students, they were all marvellous and did a great job. Had I not read up about the hotel in advance, I'd never have known!

Location wise, there were plenty of restaurants around, 5-10 minute walk from the Heineken Experience which was excellent! Lots of lovely little cheese shops and a little market, not bad shopping but that was about a 20 minute walk from the hotel.

Highly recommend! It's a real treat, this hotel, ideal for a special occasion. We want to go back already!

Room Tip: For an extra 20 euros a night, you can upgrade to a luxury room which I have heard is worth it due t...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

We had read about the college hotel and were pleased we finally made it. Indeed, a former school very nicely redecorated into a boutique hotel, even if a bit too dark to our taste. MAin drawback: the place is not run by professional hotel-staff! The place clearly lacks at all places a firm hand of an experienced maitre d'hotel. Already the check-in was a pain. Three girls, more busy to pick up the phone: "how can I help you?", then helping the clients standing right before them. Friendly, yes, but not at all useful. CHeck in took long, the rooms were not ready, the simple questions which metro to take, lead to confusion etc. Only after four (!) times asking, it turned out that indeed they do sell public transport cards. The rooms: yes, they have been designed nicely in boutique style, but they need to maintain them! Is it normal that lights don't work anymore, that a curtain is really half-torn down, that beds are hard as wood, and you hear a lot of street-noise? Breakfast was nice, but here again, an experienced hand who oversees it all was lacking: it is it too much to have to ask for sugar with your coffee?, for salt with your eggs? - which anyhow finally came when were basically finished. A mystery to us why breakfast should costs 24,50 EURO pp. for what is a very minimalist buffet, compared to any other place where we have been. I will stop here: if you want to stay in a stylish place, with a good location, go here, but don't expect any of the service and comfort you would normally expect in these kind of places. My advice to the College hotel: watch out and hire some professional management.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

As known our hotel is run by 70% students and 30% hospitality professionals. Unfortunately we had a very busy period around in the time you were in our hotel. Therefore it might be possible that the professional hand was missing. We do understand that this is not a correct way and have anticipated on that already.

Concerning your experience at the reception, I have discussed this with my team, to let them recognize the situation. The girls at the desk do understand the situation and offer their sincere apologies for this. They never had the intention to give you a feeling of discomfort.

Our hotel is build in a monumental building. By law we are not able to change anything on the building and its windows. As we have single glass windows, and the hotel is situated near a street, traffic noice is inevitable. That is as well what the caracter makes in our hotel.

We apologies for your experience at breakfast. Our breakfast of € 24,50 is not only the buffet but as well the side orders which can be done with our staff. Our kitchen staff and chef is delighted to make several sorts of eggs and pancakes on request, which is including the breakfast price. We do believe that fresh made breakfast is even better, and more delicious then prepared hours before on a buffet.

Dispites your experience in our hotel, I do hope your stay in Amsterdam was an enjoyable one. I will personally discuss your remarks with our professionals and management team in order to prevent this kind of situations in the future.

Thank you for sharing your thoughs with us. We hope to be able to welcome you here again in the future.

Kind regards,