“Dont tell your friends!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The College Hotel

You added The College Hotel to your Saves list
The College Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Roelof Hartstraat 1, 1071 VE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museum Quarter (Museumkwartier))   |
Ranked #132 of 357 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Dont tell your friends!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

Please travellers out there keep this one a secret for yourselves and the closest to you. A beautiful hotel in every sense of the word. They must have spent a fortune renovatiing what seems to be an old school building. As i walked in through the mass of huge brick arches i was amazed at the attention to detail. The room was elegant and interesting set over split levels and there were nice touches like complimentary cookies bought to you before bed time. i love all that stuff! staff were very helpful nothing too much trouble. The bar at night was buzzing with a really cool crowd of fasion type people of mixed ages, ideal when youre getting on a bit. College you really have got the formula for chic boutique bang on and you will definitely be seeing me again. Thank for a great night in a wonderful hotel.

Room Tip: Second floor seems to be the one.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank markhusted

Amsterdam
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

The restaurant at the hotel looks very stylish and cozy, perfectly adapted for a romantic dinner and as well as corporative meeting. I tried to make a reservation for a large group. After 4 e-mails and 6 phone calls I give up.I contacted persona responsible for banquets, but she never responded to my reservation request. She was constantly unavailable, never call back. The front office service was unhelpfully showing a lack of interest. I am working in the tourist business and never experience such a approach towards client that’s want spend time and money at the hotel. What a shame. I will never use facilities of this hotel again !!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
7 Thank Sunmarta
Santa Monica, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

Hotel rooms were very interesting post and beam architecture but hotel is just a bit out of the way from where my wife and I wanted to ultimately stay. Only issue was with booking a van gogh tour where the tickets hotel provided were not functional. We got pulled put of line to deal with the matter called hotel to clear it up and were told we had to purchase another set of tickets. Hotel promised to remove from bill but as usual the charge was still there upon checkout. A reminder to always check your bill thoroughly..

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
Belgrade
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

I was in this hotel 6 years ago during my first visit to Amsterdam. Now, after 10+ different hotels in this city I was back in school. Why school? Because personnel in this hotel are still kids on the practice for their schools.
And kids were very nice and friendly. Many of them, helping you with whatever you need, smiling, doing everything as fast as possible... So no complains about them, I have to say.
Room is nice. Not too big I have to say, but OK, I was in much smaller rooms as well. It's clean with nice furniture and wireless is very good and free.
Two minuses that I have for this hotel are: quite expensive and not so fabulous breakfast and the fact that they don't have fitness facilities. I had to do my workout in my room. Small room, remember. Yes - one small minus - I hate how they make up beds. Making covers really tight over bed so you have to pull it out when you go to sleep.
Location of the hotel is quite good. 10 EUR taxi to the center of the center. Also 2 or 3 tamps have stops just in front of the hotel. The big park is on a walking distance. Also, it's on the way to the airports so it's convenient from that point as well.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Naples, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

Outstanding overall experience. Service was top-notch. Amazing bathroom and extraordinary comfort. They even brought water and night snack each evening. Parking on the side street of building if you time it right - No need to pay on Sundays. It's right next to the Metro stop and less than a mile to major museums. If the price is right for you, there is no better place to stay. Simply relaxing in a crazy and active city.
Breakfast too expensive for a family of four but I'm sure it is awesome.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

fantastic hotel, and atmosphere. the staff is very helpful although not very experienced in it seems for some of them... but the services is really great. the rooms are spacious enough with very high ceilings and a very cosy and modern decor. definitely one of the best hotels in amsterdam, if not the best. the garden is lovely for a lunch or drink and the breakfast is amazing with some of the best french croissant i have ever eaten (and i am french!!)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

If one of your biggest pet peeves whilst traveling is the hotel staff and direction not being 100% attentive and customer service oriented, then stay away from this hotel.
The College Hotel is run by young "adults" in the midst of studying and training for Hotel Management. While this is truly a great idea, it can cause a bit of annoyance if you don't have the tolerance for such things.
Upon our arrival in October 2009, the staff scrambled to find our reservation, even when shown the printed email reservation. After about 10 minutes, they found it, and we were slowly shown to the room.
The rooms are incredible. High ceilings, large beds, plenty of space - think grey walls and black and white bathrooms, very romantic in a 'dark' way. The bathtub was one of the largest I've ever seen, comfortably fitting two persons!
The breakfast was satisfactory, as others have mentioned there were questions about poached eggs etc.
One day during our weekend, it was raining and we didn't have any umbrella. We went to the front desk to ask if we could borrow an umbrella, and the boy working looked at us with a puzzled and anxious face. After he asked his supervisor (who was within ear shot in the adjoining back room right next to the front desk), he opened the luggage storage room where both my fiance and I immediately spotted a plethora of umbrellas. Apparently the young boy didn't see them and looked for about 2 minutes until we nicely pointed them out to him. We had a few stories like this, but as we are rather patient people we managed to giggle about them amongst ourselves out of earshot of the employees.
The bar downstairs looked like a great social scene on a Thursday- Saturday night but we never tried it. Maybe next time, we'll be back.
The breafast was satisfactory, as others have mentioned there were questions about poached eggs etc.
One day during our weekend, it was raining and we didn't have any umbrella. We went to the front desk to ask if we could borrow an umbrella, and the boy working looked at us with a puzzled and anxious face. After he asked his supervisor (who was within ear shot in the adjoining back room right next to the front desk), he opened the luggage storrage room where both my fiance and I immediately spotted a plethora of umbrellas. Apparently the young boy didn't see them and looked for about 2 minutes until we nicely pointed them out to him. We had a few stories like this, but as we are rather patient people we managed to giggle about them amongst ourselves out of earshot of the employees.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple