“Recommendable - big, clean and comfortable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of NH Museum Quarter

Save Saved
You added NH Museum Quarter to your Saves list
NH Museum Quarter
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hobbemakade, 50 | Old South, Museumplein, 1071XL Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Buffet Breakfast
Ranked #86 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
Germany
“Recommendable - big, clean and comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

I stayed here for a weekend trip and I'm glad that I did.

The hotel was reasonably expensive for Euro 189 a night but Amsterdam is expensive and I thought it was worthwhile for a reasonably high standard hotel - especially compared to where I have stayed elsewhere in Amsterdam which charged a slightly lower price but with a MUCH lower standard! I think a cheaper rate can be obtained if you book more than a week in advance.

The room was large and bright with a long wall of windows. Lots of space and cupboards and the bed was very comfortable. Very little noise can be heard in this hotel and I was close to the lift. It felt that the hotel was only 30% occupied because the rooms are spread out with different lifts accessing different parts of the hotel.

I would describe the decor of the hotel has business like and functional. Not plush but clean and comfortable.

The location is reasonably good. For alot of people it might be considered a bit too far out of the centre. It is not amongst the "action" of Amsterdam. But in reality it is only a 15 minute walk to the inner canals and is very close to the Reijks Museum. I still walked everywhere but there is a tram stop nearby. Lots of Surinamese restaurants are nearby if you interested in trying something other than Dutch cuisine.

I didn't eat at the hotel so cannot comment on the breakfast or meal service generally.

The staff member checking me in was quite warm and friendly. The reception clerk attending late at night growled at me when I mistakenly tried to exit the hotel using the revolving door (which was closed) instead of the alternative door. The checkout receptionist was somewhat robotic in her manner - so the reception staff could do with a boost of friendliness especially as they did not appear particualarly overworked.

I would return again for a clean and comfortable stay in Amsterdam.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

707 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Turkish first
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

Overall, a decent hotel for Amsterdam. The location right behind the Rijksmuseum is very convenient for a walking tour, near tram lines, close to shopping, food, fun and the Concertgebouw.

The breakfast was awesome, with a good variety and real flavor (something often missing in hotel breakfasts).

The room was bigger than expected, and I liked the view. The drawback was the housekeeping. I asked for a change of sheets and pillowcase once when the maid was in the room, and was told "No, not today. You can have new bedding on Wednesday" This was on Monday, so I was amazed at the curt answer.

The desk staff tried to be helpful when I needed to find a drug store. Unfortunately, the street they directed me to, where they were sure there was a pharmacy, had no such establishment, and I wasted an hour walking about while I was feeling ill and needing some drugs (not the kind Amsterdam is famous for).

There is a cute little bar in the hotel, that never seems to be open when anyone wants a drink.

Free Wi-Fi only in the lobby, for 30 minute intervals, only with a password, and you have to ask the desk clerk for a new password every 30 minutes. This is a really clumsy approach, and it surprised me. Other NH hotels I have used do a better job with this modern necessity.

I give high marks for location, condition of the facility, room size, and food. As for the rest, it needs work. In Amsterdam, the bar is set rather low for hotels, so this one is still recommended.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
NH_Museum_Quarter, Manager at NH Museum Quarter, responded to this review, July 7, 2011
Dear Sir/ Madam,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor and sharing your experiences with us.

I am very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and especially our breakfast, the spacious room and the view on the canal.

I regret to hear that we have failed in providing the correct services that you can expect from us. Your comments are taken very seriously and therefore distributed to the related departments in order to take appropiate actions.

Thank you once again for informing us. We always appreciate to learn from guest’s experiences, for it gives us the chance to improve our service.

We hope to welcome you back in our hotel in the nearest future!

With kindest regards,

Victor van der Knaap
Operations Manager
Avoca Beach, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

We spent 2 nights in this hotel and found it met all of our needs. It was in a good area out of the central district, opposite a canal and leading onto a main canal where the Canal bus went from. Of course as it's name implies it is a stone's throw from the main museums. As we love to walk, Central Station took us about 30 minutes without dawdling. When you get caught up on the canals or in the Red Light District it will take longer.

We found the staff at the hotel to be extremely helpful and courteous and the room more than adequate. The view of the canal was a bonus. The bed was very comfy with 4 choices of pillows available. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: A room with a view of the canal is worth it.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir/ Madam,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share you experiences with us.

It is with great pleasure to read that you felt welcomed by our staff and that they have helped you in helpfull manner. Your nice words are forwarded to the entire team.

Thank you for your stay and we are looking forward in welcoming you back at the NH Museum Quarter.

With best regards,

Victor van der Knaap
Operations Manager
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

I failed to get down all names of staff because I was so upset and frustrated that we wanted to get out as soon as possible. From the time we got there until the time we left, it was horrible. When we first arrived, the front receptionist claimed that we cancelled our reservations. Though we were able to book two rooms, they both were not next to each other. One room was double bed and the other was double with an extra twin. When we got to our rooms, both had dirty carpet and the atmosphere was just not what we expected for a 4 star hotel. One of the rooms had a sink with brown burned marks and hair in the sink and on the upper counter above the toilet. Don't expect much from the refrigerator either, its this small tacky thing with nothing in it. If you wanted a drink of water and pay, you'd have to call and order because nothing is there and ready for use.

Wifi, dont expect it at all because you can only use it in the lobby and for a duration of 30 minutes unless you're in some "special group". I used it late at night and was able to get another passcode from the front desk who was nice enough to give another one. They were late night shifts who were actually nice.

On check out day, i woke up to my phone alarm on the bed and forgot it when we checked out. I called back 30 minutes to have them check if they found my phone and they said no. I came back to the hotel in 15 minutes and the front desk brought me up to my room. My room which we gave tip, was wiped clean. The extra twin bed which i had slept on was gone. They called linens to check if my iphone may have been accidentally taken off with the sheets but no luck. I asked to speak to the staff cleaner but it was in their policy to not allow that. I was then directed o speak to their manager who was nice in an evil way. He basically made me feel like crap because he couldn't prove that i was right and so his staff was able to get away with taking my phone. Where I come from, the customer is always right, he just shooed me off and did not offer to take down my information to contact me if it was to be found. Instead, he gave me "his" card and said try calling us someday and maybe we'll have it.

I was in complete shock that I was at a 4 star hotel and my phone was taken and not returned. I replay my phone on my bed over and over and I just cannot believe the staff cleaner got away with taking my phone. I cannot believe they can claim to accidentally put it in the linens when I know damn well the cleaner had to pick up my pillow and blanket before taking off the sheets. So, i faced it that my phone would be gone forever. The one front desk receptionist (really upset i didn't get down names!), she was kind enough to direct us to the police station to get a report so I could send to my insurance. We went to the police station and not to my surprise, was treated like crap again. The office had a defensive stance with his hands on his waste and talked with an aggressive demanding attitude. He refused to write up a report and kept asking me to give him my registration number of the phone so they could find it. At that point I wasn't even worried about finding it because I already knew it would never be retrieved ever again. His little fairytale world thinks you can just track a phone and get it back when in reality people can wipe out your phone and use it as if it was bought. We went back and forth for 10 minutes and I'm trying to figure out with this douche just cannot write up a simple report. He finally calls out his chief who was actually really nice! he wrote up the report, I kindly thanked him for his help and we headed right back to the hotel.

We asked the front desk to confirm our report, she said she could not do that. Her "colleague" who is the manager, was only able to do that. She gave us so much attitude and difficulty about getting her "colleague" to do it. She then claimed that he and the staff were in a meeting. We got upset and asked when will this meeting be over and we were fussing and all that when eventually the receptionist next to her (the nice one) spoke to her in dutch and we could tell she was like why can't you just go in and get in and she got up and got him immediately. We were in total awe that we were spoken to that way by her, lied to by her, and treated that way at all as a customer. When the manager came out, he tried to give me a hard time about just confirming the report saying he cannot say this and that because it would make them liable. I said, i didn't need him to state much but to confirm our stay at the hotel. After fussing with him for about 5 minutes, he finally wrote it and stapled "HIS" card to it which he did not give me in the first place. After all we went through, no phone. One customer was kind enough to ask if I was ok (American) and thats when I felt homesick because America would never treat you like that no matter what hotel you're in. I couldn't believe the amount of attitude and rudeness came from these people.

NEVER EVER EVER STAY AT THIS HOTEL! THIS IS NOT A 4 STAR HOTEL!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

It's ok but not a patch on the NH Brugge which is really super. The chain needs to be more consistent. Parking was a real pain (had to use the Olympic Stadium Park and Ride - NB if you do that make sure you go to the concierge in the car park and specify "Park and Ride" and validate your tickets. Good location. Bar staff uninterested and unhelpful with getting food. Finally got bowl of frites (€4!). And my flannel disappeared in cleaning which was a bit annoying.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
San Juan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

This is a great hotel located directly on a canal in the museum quarter. We spent 5 nights here in 2 rooms and were very pleased. The rooms were large by European standards, ac strong (it was HOT) and everything very clean. We arrived by car in the evening - night staff LESS than helpful regarding the parking regulations and advised me to leave the car on the street. I later learned the ticket for overnight parking without the proper permits was somewhere around 200 euros! I escaped this, but was warned by the morning front desk staff to put the car in a garage. Expensive, but worth it. Driving not recommended or necessary in Amsterdam anyway. Too many bicycles!! Walk, bike or take the street cars!

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Southampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

Very good location near a tram stop.
Hotel very clean and tidy
Large spacious room - good modern bathroom with excellent shower.
Breakfast very good with an excellent selection of different items - pastries cooked on thepremises.
A bit expoensive but considering what other hotels were charging it was reasonable value.
If you don't mind walking then this is ideal but watch out for the mad cyclists which come at you from all angles at all times of the night and day !!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Been to NH Museum Quarter? Share your experiences!