“The Student Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Student Hotel Amsterdam

You added The Student Hotel Amsterdam to your Saves list
The Student Hotel Amsterdam
3.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Jan van Galenstraat 335, 1061 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #49 of 176 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Amsterdam
“The Student Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

This accomodation was fantastic, it was clean, friendly staff, modern, well looked after and very safe. The rooms were wonderful, although it was a litlle far out there was a tram stop and metro stop right outside for easy and very cheap travel to the city centre

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Carter J, Manager at The Student Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Abbie,

What a nice 5 star review. Thanks a lot! I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! We would be very happy to welcome you again anytime.

Have a nice time back home,
Carter Jones.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Henderson, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Fun/lively atmosphere. Lots of young people. Very clean throughout room and building. Location is a bit always from city center but you can take tram 13 straight to the heart of Amsterdam or the rail. Did the double bed private room. Great room. Clean, comfy. Bathroom was great. Fridge/stove/closet storage. Great price for the comfort.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Jason,

Thanks a lot for your 5 star review! I am very happy to hear you both enjoyed our rooms and our atmosphere! We hope to see you back soon in Amsterdam.

Have a nice time back home,
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

I doubted whether I should write this review, mainly because I stayed at TSH for some 7 months (you can get a long-term contract) and I don't know whether the service the short-term guests received is identical to what we, the rentees got. But who can this hurt? So here's what I think:
Student Hotel tried to create some friendly student community of people and make some good money, we can't blame them for that. I am not gonna trash the hotel now, because I have a lot of wonderful memories of people and staff over there, but some points need to be discussed.
I lived in a standard room which costs about $900 per month. That's not exactly terrible for Amsterdam, but later when I moved in I found lots of wonderful places way cheaper than this one.
All of the rooms are very basic and pretty small (mine was 14-15 m). Usually when you get something which is so much overpriced you expect to get something in return, such as housekeeping (at least once a week) or a comfy bed (not my case) or at least a proper floor cleaning.
Another thing worth mentioning is the laundry service which was overpriced (for the service we received). Doing laundry by ourselves was no problem at all, but paying $6 and getting your laundry smelling like something has died in the washing machine? Really?
Each floor has a shared kitchen and by TSH regulations it has to be maintained in adequate order so that the cleaning person can come over and just wipe the dust. The floor was never cleaned, the carpets in the corridors were never vacuumed, very often we found that there were no trash bags. These are minor problems, but they are really making the whole picture not very attractive.
Finally, it was one huge and very unpleasant surprise when 4 days before I had to relocate back to Bangkok I found out that I (!!!) need to find someone to take up my rent. Not TSH, me! It was already a lot of stress with all the packing and work permit stuff, and the room issue didn't make my life easier. The problem is: no one told me that I will have to find someone to move into my room or I will have to pay 75% of the remaining rent (which was about $2.5K). I was stressed and pissed, but luckily lots of people need an apartment in Amsterdam, so I managed to find a guy to take up my rent the very next day).
All these problems are minor and can be dealt with efficiently, but due to the cost it involved to tackle them all, TSH preferred throwing barroom parties and pub quizes, throwing us a free beer a couple of times instead of dealing with this kind of stuff.
It wasn't all bad, though. On the contrary, I have a lot of good memories too:
I absolutely loved the staff at the TSH, always helpful, always there. Pretty quick reaction for any problems (except the ones I mentioned above).
Loved the free bike service. These bikes are really good.
The design of the Tower House is amazing! Table tennis, sofas, big TV, library. You guys did an awesome job creating that.
Very good cuisine. A bit expensive like everything here, but always fresh and tasty.
A decent fitness room with some group classes.
And most importantly, all the amazing people you meet on your way. It's a great place for meeting new people, having a friendly drink and just feeling like you are young.
Would I choose TSH again? I really don't know. Depends on what you're looking for. But if I was again a stranger in a new unknown country where I knew no one - my answer would be 'yes'. I felt like home at TSH most of the time. And home is not just walls and facilities. Home is people.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Carter J, Manager at The Student Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear Evgenii G,

Thanks a lot for your 4 star review! We are very happy to see that despite some details you generally enjoyed your stay and that you met some unforgettable friends from all over the world. Your feedback is very precious to The Student Hotel as it helps us to improve. We aim to give our guests the best experience whether they stay for a couple of nights or for 12 months.

Regarding the point you mentioned in your message, we're sorry you had a stressful moment before your departure. Our best rates are reserved for our 10 month contracts like yours. We offer guests the opportunity to break their contracts without losing their deposit if they can find a replacement.

While our rooms are not overly luxurious, our concept is to offer our rooms all inclusive with comfortable facilities, equipped kitchens, games room, gym, bike reception staff and 24 hour security. We feel that this, along with the incredible community that you mentioned, make a stay at The student Hotel a special one.

Thanks again for your valuable review and for being one of our first guests!

We hope you'll visit us soon,
Kind regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

I recently just got back from Amsterdam after my first trip there. It's safe to say I have the blues and already planning my next trip back and I WILL be staying at The Student Hotel again, without a doubt.
When I first booked the hotel it was definitely booked for the cheapness, as young travellers we didn't care much about the room as its just somewhere to sleep. I looked at the pictures and just saw it as the basic nesseccitites, oh how wrong I was after arriving and it being more than I could ever expected. When I looked at other hotels in Dam Square, I did find a lot of reviews having issues with space in their rooms, we didn't have that problem as the rooms were big and the bed was more comfortable than my own!!!
The tram was right in front of the hotel and took literally 10 minutes and was very cheap. It actually it felt better to be outside of dam sqare because it forced us to spend the most time we could in the centre. We didn't ask much of the staff but when they did they were more than helpful with our requests and translation. If you're under 26 and in to a student experience and socialising in a true traveling style visit here as I will be doing every time I visit Amsterdam!!!
Words cannot explain how happy I was with this hotel on my trip.

• Stayed February 2014
Frank U, Manager at The Student Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear HYYoung,

Thank you for your comment and ranking! I am very pleased to hear you fully enjoyed your stay with us and would be more than happy to welcome you back in Amsterdam! If you want to keep an eye on our future sales or special events, I invite you to follow us on Facebook http://facebook.com/thestudenthotel

Have a lovely time back home, hope to see you soon.
Best,

Frank Uffen.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights for a Valentines Day trip. The hotel was exactly as we expected - modern, clean, trendy and young.
The staff were friendly and helpful and they allowed us to check in 4 hours early on our first day, free of charge.

The rooms are very basic but immaculately clean and everything works as it should. The location is a little out of the way, but even on a Sunday it only took us 20minutes to get to Dam Square on the tram which stops right outside the hotel. The airport is approximately 20mins away by train, which also stops right outside.

Not sure I'd stay here again as I've been to Amsterdam before and I think the experience is better if you stay in the centre of town, but the hotel itself is great.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

The hotel is nice. Staff however where not so friendly to us. I also witnessed the man at reception shouting at someone who had only asked him for a plastic cup. I thought this was very rude.

The rooms are clean but too basic. Not in a great location!!!

• Stayed January 2014
Carter J, Manager at The Student Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear Roberta,

We would firstly like to thank you for sharing your experience and are glad to hear your appreciation for the cleanliness of the hotel.

We would like to apologize for the shouting incident you had encountered. I have personally communicated the occurrence to the staff , ensuring your comments be met with actions to avoid a similar incident.

We are greatly appreciative of your comments and would like to invite you enjoy our hotel facilities again!

Kind regards,

Carter Jones
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

Had a great stay! Only a quick bike ride to the centre of town. The staff were very helpful and very nice. Had lunch and dinner in the kitchen and was beautiful. Will for sure come back and stay :) thanks.

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Kpmoustache,

Thank you for taking the time to leave this great review! I am very pleased to see you enjoyed your stay with us - and enjoyed the food too! I would be very happy to welcome you back. If you want to keep an eye on our future sales or special events, I invite you to follow us on Facebook http://facebook.com/thestudenthotel

I wish you all the best and hope to see you around soon!
Frank.

Been to The Student Hotel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!