“Nice Japanese restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Bilbao
“Nice Japanese restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Great for having a Japanese dinner.
My girlfriend and I asked for gyoza and chicken tebayaki to share and a dish of seafood each, it was ok for 27€ both.

“Stay away from Shiki Japanese Restaurant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

My wife had a craving for some good Japanese noodles, and I wanted some rice and tempura. We were wandering around the city when we stumbled upon Shiki on Zoutsteeg 5, a small "Japanese". We thought the food must be good because the place was packed.

My wife order the "prawn" tempura Udon for $18.75 USD, and I ordered the Shrimp tempura. I asked what came with my dish, and I was told shrimp.... no rice, no oshinko, no nothing. That being the case, I ordered a bowl of steamed white rice to go with my food, bringing the total my food to $25.50 USD. Mind you, this is not some upscale place, but a typically small cafe sized hole in the wall.

they brought my wife's Udon first, and about 5 minutes later my tempura and rice. Her Udon had sesame oil in it, and it was extremely salty. I received a plate with 6 shrimp, or at least pieces of shrimp. They were VERY small, in the 30/lb size. There was more crust than shrimp, and they were very greasy and oily, and the oil tasted old. The rice was inedible. Completely dried out, hard, and under cooked. I sent the rice back right away. I asked if the owner was chinese, as all the waitresses were chinese, and there was chinese music playing in the kitchen. She told me the owner was Japanese. If so, they must be absentee owners. No self respecting Japanese restaurant would attempt to pass that crap off as rice.

Be warned, save your money and stay away, even if you are starving.

• Visited October 2013