“3.5 stars” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Alexander Hotel

You added Alexander Hotel to your Saves list
Alexander Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vondelstraat 44-48, 1054 GE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Ranked #115 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Sunriver, Oregon
“3.5 stars”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012 via mobile

I really must get one of the cameras used to take room pictures for hotel ads. Because our room at the Alexander Hotel was one of the dreaded down under rooms and no picture would do it justice. Fortunately, it was ok: clean, roomy, the beds were comfortable, the shower and TV worked and there was hot water. The location was good for everything we wanted to do. The staff was very helpful. But the breakfast? Really? They could do better and should.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Polish first
Spring Lake, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

Spent a few days at the Hotel Alexander. Great location and a very accommodating staff. They were very helpful and had very good dinner recommendations. Our room overlooked the street and was quite comfortable with a large private bath. Only shortcoming was free wifi was only available in the lobby.

Room Tip: Ask for a large room overlooking the street, worth the extra.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

we stayed here for NYE 2010/11 great staff and location was perfect just outside the main streets but very good walking distance very clean and had everything you needed.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

I just finished a long weekend in Amsterdam and stayed at the Alexander Hotel based on recommendations from TripAdvisor. I even got the dreaded "basement room" that others warned about, but I have to say it wasn't as bad as I feared. I stayed there with two other people. I made my reservations late and when I checked in and was told my room number I immediately asked for a different room on a higher floor. I was told it was not possible as they did not have an available room with three beds for the weekend. So, I gave it a shot. The room was a good size and had three beds and a TV (although we could never get the TV to work). The basement room had windows that opened to the street but provided a good amount of light. The bathroom was big, the shower was large, no issues with hot water. And I have to say that the street was so quiet that we actually slept with the windows open and were fine even in the basement room.

I was in room 1. I personally think those basement rooms would be better than the rooms on floor zero that get everyone walking by them to get to the stairs or elevators.

The staff when we got there was great. They provided a map, told us where to walk, wrote on the map and made suggestions of what to do and what days to do them so it wouldn't be as crowded. Throughout the weekend they were all very nice and helpful.

The breakfast was a typical European breakfast. A little light for 10 Euros but nothing unlike what I have seen at just about every other hotel I've stayed at in Europe. I will say that one day we came in with only 15 mins left in breakfast and they were kind in putting more food out and baking more bread for us. Again, great staff.

The only downside is that the WiFi did not work. It is close to the city but probably the furthest on that street.

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel to others going to Amsterdam.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Wiesbaden, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Don't be misled by the "Museum Quarter" and think it's far from everything else you want to see. It was better priced than the central hotels and a very easy walk all over the city! Highly recommend this hotel. The room is very small but you should be in there much if you're touring!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

Excellent stay at the Alexander !! Reception staff (Look alike brothers) First class ! Nothing was to much bother,upgraded to a standard room (small is small in Amsterdam) which was nice and clean and quiet at night, which is a plus in a city.Great position(5 min walk from Leidenspline) Breakfast was good (continental) cheese,ham.bread etc.Free WI-Fi in lobby area,or you can pay to use there's in your room,and also on there PC's in reception. Will definitely be back next time I'm in Amsterdam.

Room Tip: Go for standard rooms as small room are small.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Oslo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

This hotel was ideal for families visiting Amsterdam. Big familyrooms, nice breakfast, quiet surroundings and very friendly staff. We will definitly come back!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Alexander Hotel? Share your experiences!