“Modern hotel in good location” 4 of 5 stars

Room Mate Aitana
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   IJDok 6, 1013 MM Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #33 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Perth, Australia
“Modern hotel in good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Great, modern hotel less than 10 minutes walk from Amsterdam Central Station. Decent size room, a very comfortable bed and excellent bathroom. Yes, the hotel is about 20min walk away from centre of Amsterdam but I didn't mind it. As for many places in Amsterdam you can rent a pushbike right at the hotel if you like to get around. I did not eat at the restaurant or had a drink at the bar but it looked nice.
With its proximity to Central Station you have easy access to and from the Airport. If you look for a place in Amsterdam away from the crowds and noise but still in easy reach of everything I would consider the Room Mate Aitana.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Having arrived in Amsterdam by train, I found it difficult to find directions to the hotel from anyone including a group of policemen. This though was due to it being a new hotel. But having got the required diections I found it to be around a 10 minute walk along the canal and under railway bridges and underpasses. As i got closer I saw it was built on an island alongside a marina which looked very impressive. The architecture of the hotel and its surrounding buildings (one of which was the courthouse) where all greatly impressive and gave me a great first impression of the area. But upon my arrival I found a great hotel, stylish and modern with a good clean look about it. Reception staff were very helpful and even asked me if i wanted to upgrade my room. Declining the upgrade i found myself in one excellent room with a corner window overlooking the marina, canal and across the city. Who needs a room upgrade. The meals in the hotel were first class and exceptional service and good quality.
The town centre is not too far away, around a 10 minute stroll depending on which route you take and end your evening with a drink or two on the hotels veranda.
Having only spent 3 nights here I would gladly have stayed longer. Great hotel, great staff great location.

Room Tip: If you are walking from the train station cross the wavey bridge at the back of the hotel, it saves...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Windsor, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Pros:
- clean
- modern
- spacious

Cons:
- FAR!!!!!! If you like being in the middle of the action, do not stay here. Public transit isn't amazing in Amsterdam, so to walk 15 just to central station is a pain. Also, Daam Square is more like a 30 minute walk. I found the hotel to be VERY inconvenient in terms of location. The closest landmark was Anne Frank House (20 minute walk)
- Our shower only had a "hose". There was no overhead shower. I personally think that's weird.
- Our room had a leak, so we told the front desk. We got back later that afternoon and they shut off our water and told us they were changing rooms for us. After waiting what felt like forever to get the key to the new room, my husband and I were disappointed to get a smaller room. And the view still sucked.
- Wifi was TERRIBLE

Bottom Line:
I would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Merijn V, Manager at Room Mate Aitana, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Dear Echothatislove,

Thank you for your open and honest feedback regarding your stay in our hotel. I am sorry to read that your stay was not entirely up to your expectations. You point out some things that we should have done better during your stay, for which I would like to apologize.

I would very much like to get in touch with you to discuss your experience, perhaps you could contact me directly at m.veken@room-matehotels.com ?

We would love a chance to welcome you back to show you the true Room Mate Aitana experience!

Kindest regards,

Room Mate Aitana
Merijn Veken
Accomodation Manager
m.veken@room-matehotels.com
Liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Great hotel, very clean and tidy, large rooms, helpful staff, nice bar, couldn't complain. Comfiest bed ever, no exaggeration here it was the best bed I have slept on.

Only minor issue is the walk between the hotel and the centre (15 mins) can become pretty mundane after walking the same route 2-4 times a day it isn't the most scenic of routes but it's a minor flaw.

Tip: rent a bike and cycle between the two...

Stayed February 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Room Mate Aitana amsterdam for 5 days in 2 rooms. Hotel is brand new with a modern design. Rooms are wide and super clean. Location is perfect, very quiet, overlooking the Marina and only 10 minutes walk from the noisy downtown. Bycicles are available for rent in the hotel. We rent 5 of them for 2 days. Cycling being, along with Van Gogh museum, the major attraction of the city. Hotel provides you with raincoats for free when weather changes (very usual). Staff is friendly, helpfull and most of them speak english, french and spanish. Good standard restaurant and a deck. We will surely be back to Room Mate in amsterdam or barcelona.

Northern Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I booked this hotel via a group site so I was a little worried before going, but I have to say it is a wonderful hotel. The staff are friendly, the build quality is good and been fitted out with lovely decor.

My only fault was there was issues with the elevators during our stay and even had workmen working on them at 7am which of course woke us up with drilling and hammering. When I complained to the hotel reception it kept happening so I had to contact them twice. So it was clear there was a few issues with communication and their support staff.

Other than that, its a great location. Away from the tourist areas and closer to the Jordaan area of Amsterdam. Its situated out beside the river so you get a lovely breeze. However, if you wanted to be closer to the city and walk less, then this is not the ideal hotel for you.

Top tip - don't pay for breakfast and go to the cafe across the road Bagel & Beans. Not only do they service wonderfully fresh Bagels, Salads and fruit juices, the staff are very friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room with a view of the city!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We arrived to find exceptionally friendly front desk staff. We upgraded our standard room to a Junior Suite (highly recommended) and this was arranged for us quickly followed by a phone call to ensure we were happy with our upgrade a few moments after we settled in. The room itself was wonderfully modern and unique with a luxuriously comfortable King bed and equally luxurious pillows. The views were also spectacular from the seventh floor. We found any request for room service to be tendered to quickly and again the room staff were very friendly. The bathroom was large, fresh and modern and the products were lovely and extensive. My two small issues were; ordering a cocktail at the lounge bar took and excessive amount of time but when they did arrive they were lovely and your first cocktail also comes with some complimentary bar snacks and the room had no conditioner! So I got a little stuck after shampooing my hair assuming conditioner would naturally be part of the products on offer, so, take your own! Will definitely stay again on our next visit. Bagel and Beans across from the hotel have an amazing breakfast but be warned, no eggs!

Room Tip: If you are looking for views, make sure you ask
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Room Mate Aitana? Share your experiences!