“the jewel of amsterdam” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Ullapool
“the jewel of amsterdam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

My wife and I spent an enjoyable city break in Amsterdam at the beginning of December and we stayed in this hotel for 4 nights.Having not stayed in Amsterdam before we chose this hotel at random through the internet.Amsterdam is a really friendly city and we had no problems finding the hotel after arriving in the airport thanks to the staff there.The travel from the airport to the hotel was so simple and quick - we just had to get a train from the railway station, which is integrated with the airport, to central station and thereafter a 5 minute walk from there to the hotel along the waterfront.I have never come across such friendly staff before and they could not do enough for you.The hotel was faultless and worthy of 5 star status which I am sure it will be when they have got their restaurant finished.We had a top floor room which had great views so I would recommend anyone going there to ask for a room on this floor as rooms from 2- 7 may well have obstructed views although I could not say for sure.The breakfast display was impressive and whilst mostly continental style they still had bacon and scrambled eggs each day on offer.Amsterdam is a lovely city although I would advise anyone going there for the first time to watch out for cyclists as they think they are god.On two occasions we were at a green light crossing and my wife had to pull me back,as a cyclist came speeding round the corner - they totally ignore red lights and seem to think they have the complete right of way.We were lucky enough to visit the Anne Frank museum at a quiet period and it is well worth a visit.We also went to the Ice Bar and whilst I enjoyed the experience my wife was none too impressed - you had to put these large thermal jackets on with hoods and gloves and they piled you into this freezing strongroom type bar where you enjoyed a couple of drinks whilst watching a Heineken ad in 3D.I feel they should restrict their numbers to 12 as it could get really claustrophobic in there if you were that way inclined.Our highlight of the stay was a trip to Zaans Schans which is a little quaint area(like a small village) to the north of Amsterdam where the windmills are.I would not bother with the tour - just take the 391 bus from the bus station on your own time - the buses run every hour there and back and you can wander around at your leisure - the pancake restaurant is worth a visit if you are hungry. Our stay at the hotel made our trip to Amsterdam very memorable and if we returned to the city there is only one place we would stay and that is the Room Mate Aitana.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Merijn V, Manager at Room Mate Aitana, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear DonnieHossack,

'The jewel of Amsterdam'. What an honour to be described in such a way! I have shared your review with our team members, and I can tell you we are all proud to read that you had such a wonderful stay with us.

At Room Mate we strive for the best and friendliest possible service, and I am happy to read that you experienced your stay the way we intended it to be!

You will be pleased to know that our new restaurant is now open for breakfast and will be open for lunch and dinner shortly, and in the future will also feature a terrace on the deck overlooking the Marina!

It was a pleasure having you as our guest, and we look forward to welcome you back when you return to Amsterdam!

509 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

Comfortable rooms and decent showers. 12.50 for breakfast if it's not included so be careful there. I was perfectly comfortable here, although it was not booked or paid for personally so I have no idea how much they stumped up for it. But that's what it seems to be, to be honest. A corporate hotel.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Alhimself,

thank you for choosing Room Mate Aitana for your visit to Amsterdam. As a new hotel we are striving to be an excellent base for both business and Leisure guests. I am therefore happy to read you had such a comfortable stay with us.

I would like to thank you for sharing your experience, and hope we may welcome you back on your next visit to Amsterdam!

Tenerife, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

Modern new hotel a little bit from city centre but lovely view of river. A short walk takes you to central station and city centre locations. You can get trams but it's just as easy walking. Try viola Italian for lunch

• Stayed November 2013
Merijn V, Manager at Room Mate Aitana, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Terry C,

thank you for sharing your comments! I am happy to read you enjoyed the indeed wonderful views from the hotel of the city centre and IJ river. We will see to include Viola in our recommendations, thank you for that tip!

Thank you for staying with us, and we hope we may welcome you back on your next visit to Amsterdam!

The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

We loved the design and the view. Be sure to stay there if you visit Amsterdam, it is very close to the canals and in a quite area.
Reception and housekeeping staff was really welcoming and helpful, staff does their utmost to make sure your stay is perfect.
Micaela and Adriana were great help, they helped us with a lot of tip. Massimo, on site director, took very well care of us and he told us a lot about Room Mate, he made us so enthousiastic about the concept, next time i will go to a city where there is a room mate i will book there

Dear Franck D.

How wonderful that you consider Room Mate Aitana to be a Top Hotel. Our design is quite unique and it is great to know it is appreciated so much. I will pass your compliments on to Micaela and Adriana, who I will be sure will be proud to read this just as much as the housekeeping and front office departments!

It was a pleasure having you as our guest, we look forward to welcome you back to Room Mate!

Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Room Mate Aitana's Amsterdam branch makes for a truly comfortable stay. Rooms have comfortable beds, with a T.V. containing English, Dutch and other international channels. The shower is large too, with soaps that are satisfying to use. The hotel has a pier that it overlooks that sets up a very nice water view from the lobby and rooms. Inside the design is minimalist, with wide space that is created through high ceilings and tall glass windows.

The staff were key to this stay being successful also, as all were helpful and friendly. Room service assisted us with a UK-European adapter as well as towels, soap and taxi requests. The receptionist Marta put good effort into helping us out with such things. When we visited the bar some drinks were unavailable, but the bartender Leslie explained the ones that were in great detail and ended up mixing a tasty cocktail that wasn't on the menu to begin with.

Our only gripe was the hotel being 10 minutes walk from central station, which for the majority of people won't be any difficulty at all. There is a bus stop nearby that goes to and from central station which is quite easy to use, and the hotel will always order you a taxi if you ask them. There was some music being played in the lobby in the morning one day that was a little too upbeat for our ears, but these are clearly minor annoyances I am looking for in what was an wonderfully pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of the pier are worth asking for.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Merijn V, Manager at Room Mate Aitana, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear Rami A,

Thank you very much for your stay with us and for writing such a positive review, truly a pleasure to read! At Room Mate we understand the importance of a comfortable hotel where you can rest and have a great night sleep, which is why we have our beds are specifically designed for our chain! I am happy to read that you enjoyed it as such!
Your comments about our helpful and friendly staff, specifically Marta and Leslie are very much appreciated, I will be sure to share your comments with the entire team who I am sure will read it with pride!

It was our pleasure to have you as our guest, and we look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to Amsterdam!

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Had a great weekend stay at this hotel. Paid for a Junior Suite room (which was worth it). Whilst the nearest station is Centraal - be prepared for a brisk walk to get to the hotel. By the last night we were too bored of the walk and found a nearby restaurant for dinner instead. It's a shame that the restaurant is still not completed. Little things missing were slippers for the room (we asked at reception and were giving some). Bathrobes! Really a must for the Junior Suite with so much glass exposure to the neighbouring buildings. Shame they didn't have any! Staff are amazing - they can't seem to do enough to help you (except for the bathrobes)! I hope the hotel is a success and I hope that a tram line will extend to this part of the town as not a nice walk back late at night

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor and splurge for the biggest room you can afford.
Dear Shazfern,

what a pleasure to read your review! I am pleased to read that you had such an excellent stay with us. I fully agree, the upper level Junior Suites are fantastic, I myself am amazed with the view each time I see it, and am thrilled to read you enjoyed it so much as well. Your comments about our amazing staff make me proud, and I will be sure to share your comments with the entire Room Mate team!
Your ideas to improve are very much valued, as me are continually working on improving our product and services.

It was a pleasure having you as our guest, and we look forward to welcome you back!

m.veken@room-matehotels.com

Been to Room Mate Aitana? Share your experiences!