“Location, view and confort” 5 of 5 stars

Room Mate Aitana
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   IJDok 6, 1013 MM Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #33 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Porto, Portugal
“Location, view and confort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I book this other for a conference and i must say that from the day one to check out the Hotel and all staff was amazing, Great room & beautiful view and amazing room service. All staff is quick in answers to our questions and help us in the best way possible to enjoy Amsterdam. Thank you Mrs Micaela for all support. See you soon...

Room Tip: Top floors are amazing
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

This hotel will appeal to some and others will find that it is trying too hard and not succeeding. From the bronze phallic columns in the foyer, to the 'special designs' of the rooms, this hotel is not subtle, and not for those seeking traditional canal charm, or effective service. But it has some very good points.

The staff were friendly, when we could get their attention, but failed to achieve most of what we asked. I had phoned far in advance to ask for a restaurant booking, and had (at their request) confirmed the request by email). They assured us they would take care of it, but on arrival, we found that they rang too late could not get a booking. We had chosen this hotel partly for its proximity to the restaurant (a favourite for a business contact we were entertaining), so this was a problem, as well as somewhat embarrassing as we had to disappoint our guests.

The staff also kindly offered to print out the tickets for the Rijksmuseum that we had bought online, but failed to notice that what they had printed out for us was just the email, not the tickets themselves (we should have checked ourselves, but it did suggest a lack of attention to detail). So it was a bit awkward when we presented the email at the museum...

Our room (standard with panoramic view) was spacious and immaculately clean. The large bed was very comfortable with good quality sheets. We also liked the spacious shower with rain or hand-held shower heads. Free wifi worked and was appreciated.

However, there was an irritatingly fluorescent lighting/design feature at the top of one wall, urging us that 'amsterdam is a city with much to offer...' that was echoed on the opposite wall in blue plastic lettering that was peeling off the wall, which did not add to any sense of fun or luxury. Anyone with a sense of order or with the slightest OCD tendencies would be sorely tempted to complete the job and peel them all off.

On balance, if you just want a comfortable big bed in a clean spacious environment not too far from city centre, and you don't need help from the staff, this is a decent option.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Devon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Booked to stay in another hotel in Amsterdam, and on arrival we were told we were to be moved because they over booked.... ggggrrrr. Anyway at arrival at the Aitana we were very impressed. Close to the station. We had a beautiful room with views over the river, still honouring the free mini bar we had at the other hotel..... Brand new - everything still smelt like that. Staff quick to check in and offered us free breakfast too because we had to be moved. Very helpful young staff. Rooms big, great bathroom, free safe and wifi. Only problem was there restaurant hadn't yet opened so we had to go out for food. Breakfast was a very good selection served from 7.30-12! Beds are big and really comfy here too!

Room Tip: Room with a view of the river
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Porto, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

The very easygoing style that room mate already is known for.
Big rooms and big beds.. Very friendly staff..

Still some works on the building but nothing too noisy... Also the restaurant will work only in December..

Hope to stay here again...

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stayed here late September. The hotel building is impressive although the room was not finished. There were bare cables hanging down from the ceiling presumably for light fittings. Throughout my stay the smart TV did not work at all. Promises were made that it would fixed on three trips to reception these were not honoured. I stayed 4 nights. This according to the my original booking confirmation entitled me to a long stay discount. On check out however this was not applied to my bill and I was overcharged. The receptionist would not listen to me. As I no longer had my booking voucher, which was handed in, it was not possible to offer evidence. On my return I E mailed them. This was ignored. I sent another, I said I would be writing a review on Trip Advisor. I received a reply saying That I was correct I should not have been charged more than the original booking charge. I would be refunded. I am still waiting. I have contacted MasterCard and raised a dispute. It does not matter how good a hotel will be when it is finally finished and all the facilities work, if they overcharge you and will not listen to you on reception. Then I would not stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Weybridge, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for a weekend city break. Hotel has only recently opened and does look great. Sadly I waited 20 minutes in the queue to check in at a quiet time, according to the staff. Check out was even more tedious. The process seems overly bureaucratic with forms to fill in and slow computer systems. It took 12 minutes at the desk to check me in, thats for one adult on a pre-paid reservation. This needs to be improved.
On positive side there is excellent free wifi through out the hotel, the bar/lounge has great service and I loved the room decor

Stayed October 2013
Oberursel (Taunus), Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

My daughter and I spent an extended weekend in Amsterdam in September this year in the Room Mate Aitana. The interior is very fresh and modern and I love the open spaces. If you imagine three levels with the reception taking up the middle space, the lounge area is a glassed in area just above and beside the reception. The restaurant area is just below but off set to the right with a view over a docking area for private motor and sail boats. The rooms are spacious although not overly large, but nicely decorated. The bed are out of this world comfortable and we slept like infants the whole night through. The bathroom is a standard size and ours had a shower with a rainshower head. So the experience of showering was also satisfying. The hotel is located about a 10 minute walk from the Centraal Station and pubs, bistros and restaurants are all walkable. A visit to the EYE (the film museum) is a must and just a short ferry ride across the river.

Because the hotel had only been open for 26 days when we arrived, the hotel staff were still struggling to get things going and a tourist information contact(s) was almost non-existent. So we were pretty well on our own. However, a quick internet search gave us the info we needed. The most obvious organisational problem was in the restaurant/kitchen area with a constant lack of coffee and utensils that one needs to eat their breakfast. All-in-all and considering the circumstances, the staff was very friendly and tried their best to make our stay comfortable.

One thing that did bother me was a safety issue. As the building wasn't fully completed when we were there, the staircase on the far end of our floor - which we would have normally used in case of an emergency - was still under construction. I went down these stairs and found that the door was blocked and tied shut to the railing, which meant there was no way out. From the 2nd floor there are no stairs leading to the exit at reception - the only way is via an elevator. And everyone knows that in case of fire, the elevator is a no go. That would have meant running all the way to the other end of the building to exit. Sorry to mention this, but I don't think it's correct to open a hotel until these types of issues are solved.

I would recommend this hotel - however waiting a couple of months until all the 'creases' are ironed out, might be a good idea.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Room Mate Aitana? Share your experiences!