“An Englishman Impressed” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #400 of 2,314 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Indian, Tibetan, Nepali
Dining options: Takeout, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Dear guests,We warmly welcome you in the Himalayan Kitchen restaurant. Our restaurant has been named after the highest mountains in the world.The Nepali and Indian kitchen relies on the age-old art of mixing herbs and spices. Just as ancient are the strict preparation criteria that vary according to climate, products available in a certain region, religion, and culture.Besides the written and unwritten laws of the Nepali and Indian kitchen we try to also let you encounter the unique taste of our own kitchen. We developed this taste over the years we have already been working in Amsterdam. Our chef cook has an exceptional culinary talent and uses fresh ingredients, unique and refined spice combinations, and an impeccable preparation manner to provide you with a freshly-prepared meal that.You can indicate your desired spice level and our cooks will be sure that the dishes are prepared accordingly.We do everything to accommodate your wishes, and we hope that you will feel at home here and enjoy your meal.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“An Englishman Impressed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

Spoilt in England with the variety of Nepalise,Indian and Balti food on offer I was extremely impressed with the quality of the cuisine.Easter Monday evening after a day in the Dam I had this restaurant marked on my possibles.Lovely people,lovely place and excellent fare....I call in again on my next visit.17 tram gets you very close. I can smell the food as I write......A trip to Nepal makes my bucket list!

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“You need some patience for some great food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

Some friends and I went to Himalayan Kitchen since I got a dining voucher from a website similar to Groupon. I gave this restaurant a 3/5 star rating because of how slow the service was, otherwise I would give it much more praise.

I ordered Onion Bhaji as a starter (very nice), Lamb Tikka Sarabi as a main (Delicious! I read that it was cooked with Tia Maria, so I was very curious) and Kulfi as desert (tasty, but a bit too much cardamom was in it).

I recently developed a taste for spicy food, but be wary of the spice rating Himalayan Kitchen give to their food. The Tikka Sarabi was a 3 star out of 5 spice level, and this was already quite spicy for me. I've yet to develop a proper personal taste and tolerance towards real spicy food, so I'm glad I didn't go beyond 3 stars of spiciness. Luckily I made a good call and really enjoyed my main course without going overboard with spiciness. Now I'm curious as to how hot their madras and vindaloos really are.

Although the staff (one waiter) were really friendly, the service was incredibly slow. We saw other customers order coffee at a table next to us and it took between 15-20 minutes to get said coffee. This was a Sunday night and it was very quiet, so being busy/understaffed isn't an excuse (I've worked as a waitress myself) and the restaurant is pretty small. This could have been a problem with the kitchen and not the waiter himself, but it's hard to tell. At one point, my friends and I started making jokes (while waiting) that the waiter was also the chef to explain the slow service.

Despite the slow service, we still enjoyed ourselves and the food was very nice.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lisbon
“Slow kitchen...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

We chose this restaurant after looking up some recommendations on tripadvisor.
All in all, reviews were promissing so we head out for dinner. Since it is located in a very quiet neighbourhood and wasn't packed, we figuered the service would be quick, compared to other places in city centre, where food is great but you always have to prepare fo a queue.
The waiters were nice but we were on an empty stomach and 1 hour and 15 minutes is certainly too much for a place half full (I would say there were another 20 customers).
The wait was sooo long that when our food came we had lost our appetite...The food was good though

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Pune, India
“Excellent Nepali food, a welcome change from monotonous Indian fare”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

I am Indian and absolutely dig into any type of Indian food. Unfortunately, the fare served here in Amsterdam is repetitive and monotonous as nearly all restaurants serve the same Punjabi food. I decided to try Nepali food for a change and visited the "Himalayan Kitchen" near Leidseplein for dinner with a couple of friends. We ordered white rice and a preparation of marinated lamb piecs in thick gravy, which also came with a black eyed pea preparation and a nice carrot and cabbage salad. We also went for the baked momos and roasted corn served with home-made butter. The food was excellent and had the right amount of spice. Of course, it was not too hot, which was the case as the food was customized according to Dutch taste. Nevertheless the food was very good and quite filling. I also tried the butter tea to end my meal, which was also well-prepared. There are a huge number of Nepal people in India, but they are more famous for Indo-Chinese or north-Indian food than Nepali food. It felt good to taste good nearly authentic Nepalese food for the first time. Excellent change from the typical Punjabi food that we get in Indian restaurants. Not very cheap, but the food is worth the cost. Definitely worth a visit if you want to try Nepali food or want a break from regular Indian fare.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Montreal, Canada
“Great food and excellent service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

This restaurant is very surprising. It' is small and looks simple but the food was great. We appreciated every plate we had because it was tasty, fresh and healthy. Spices were very well balanced. Himalayan beer was good too. The ambiance was cordial and the service was personal. We liked very much this restaurant and we recommend it.
It is easy to get there from Centraal station by tram 17, stop at Ten Katestraat. Worts the detour for such a great food and excellent service

Visited March 2014