“Nice clean place” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Amsterdam Canal Hotel

You added The Amsterdam Canal Hotel to your Saves list
The Amsterdam Canal Hotel
4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Weteringschans 253, 1017 XJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #107 of 306 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Nice clean place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Very central indeed BUT maybe alittle over priced for what you get.
Bar is lovely but alittle quiet at times and mainley older people knocking about.
Great views from the windows.
All in all a nice Hotel - Nothing bad or no regrets regarding this hotel

Room Tip: Canal View
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel with other family members for a total of three nights during a recent trip to Europe. There were some things we enjoyed very much, but there were also some problems. I had made reservations 8 months in advance for two ground floor rooms, and had confirmed the reservations in writing the week before our trip.

The main problem we had was that the hotel initially said they couldn't honor my reservation for a ground floor room for our family members, one of whom is 82 and can't navigate extremely steep stairs without difficulty. This was eventually sorted out, but I had some very anxious moments at the end of about 14 hours of travel when I thought I was going to have to find a different hotel. I will say having my computer with me, and thus having a copy of ALL my communications with the hotel saved the day!

While we were waiting for the reservation problems to be resolved, we went downstairs to the breakfast room and got some coffee and fruit...not much, just something to nibble on while we waited. I was a bit taken aback when the receptionist came downstairs, saw us, and informed us we shouldn't be eating until the next day. Really? I'm sitting here waiting for my long-standing reservations to be straightened out after travelling all night, and you're commenting on my cup of coffee and fruit? It just rubbed me the wrong way, probably because at that point I was tired and cranky, to say nothing of worried about the room for my mom.

On a side note, we talked with a gentleman the next evening whose reservation had been lost...and the hotel was full. He was patiently waiting outside on the patio for the hotel staff to find him a room in Amsterdam. That's just not what you want to deal with after arriving from an international flight! Everybody who works at the hotel was extremely pleasant, but the reservation problems indicate to me they have some technical issues they need to work out.

The other thing I thought was a bit misleading was calling our room (Room 5) a Canal "View" Room. Yes, it was on the canal side of the hotel, but unless I was standing at the foot of the bed, there was certainly not a view of anything but the sky! The windows in the room are more like large portholes than windows. One is quite high on the wall and is the only one that opens, one is over the head of the bed, and one is very low in the bed alcove.

Even though we didn't have a view, we were thankful to be on the canal side -- it was much quieter (aside from the construction on the expansion next door), and it seemed much cooler than the room on the street side of the building.

Our room was small (as expected), and the bed was incredibly comfortable. Other things we liked were the shower with the rainshower head, and the pleasant decor. The included breakfast was ample, tasty, and well-presented in a nice room downstairs. The location was reasonably convenient. Although it was a bit out of the city center, there was a tram stop very close to the hotel, and we had no problems getting around.

I would have liked to see a mirror near the desk -- the only mirror anywhere near an electrical outlet was in the bathroom, and I found it very difficult to do my hair in the bathroom as there was no place to put anything. I ended up using my computer screen as a mirror to dry and flat-iron my hair!

In all, we enjoyed our stay, but we would also consider other small hotels if/when we return to Amsterdam.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the canal side of the hotel for a cooler and quieter experience. If you truly want...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
california
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

We stayed here May 19-21,2014 and were in room #2 which is just off the lobby on the street side. The weather was very warm and as mentioned before there is no individual control of thermostat. That combined with the fact that the hotel was not even able to provide any ice for cold drinks was pretty disappointing. (Note -I asked two different employees about the warmness of the room and for ice.) Should have thought to ask for a fan but non was offered either. The extremely deep tub was a life saver once filled with cold water...yes it was that hot and the heavy drapes did little to help with the heat of the sun beating down on the street side of the hotel. Their response regarding ice was "they sell it all around here". Very vague answer as to where exactly and in my experience could not find anywhere within a three block radius.

On a positive note, the bed was very comfortable! As a side note, I have traveled in Europe quite a bit and am familiar with the differences between their hotels versus the US. However I had a much more comfortable stay (with individual thermostat and availability of ice cubes) on a previous trip to Amsterdam which was an "economy" hotel for one third the cost of this one. It all depends on what is most important to you, the ACH room was very pretty but creature comforts not to the minimum level I expect for the rate charged per night. The location was okay but didn't offer any better convenience than many many other hotels.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Really enjoyed staying here with a friend with a few minor exceptions. First, the new wing is very modern and overlooks the canal. But this modern aesthetic does have one major drawback -- the bathroom is actually glassed in and is only frosted in the middle, so if you're traveling with anyone but your spouse or partner this may become uncomfortable with two people sharing a room. Secondly, we were never told that breakfast was an add-on that was included in every reservation with no exceptions. This ended up being 27 euros for three days which is not that expensive, but money better spent at any number of restaurants in the city with wonderful breakfast or brunch options.

Staff was also very friendly, but a bit vague on directions -- this starts with the welcome letter you get that says that the #4 tram is just one of two options for getting around nearby. Actually, there's FOUR trams nearby but you only find this out on your own or with some teeth pulling. Same thing with directions -- the staff is very attentive and want to help but again vague. They don't tell you how many blocks over or how many bridges up -- just turn left or right and head in this or that direction (which often resulted in us resorting to google maps since the map they provide doesn't list every street name).

Overall, I would suggest staying here -- just be aware of these issues in advance so you're not frustrated or surprised when they pop up.

Room Tip: Get the executive room or you'll end up with port hole windows.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

The Amsterdam Canal Hotel is a beautiful property located in walking distance to pretty much everything. We had a beautiful room on the fourth floor which looked over a canal, was bright, modern and impeccably clean. The room also had a wonderful bathroom with all the amenities as well a mini-fridge (with complimentary drinks and snacks) that came in quite handy.

During our stay the staff was very helpful and accomodating. We dealt with Roger on most occassions during our stay, he was so helpful, friendly and always had a smile on his face no matter what our inquiry was.

The breakfast was good, more than satisfying and the eating area was also lovely as it backed right onto the canal. You had your choice to sit inside or outside on the patio.

As mentioned in other reviews, the only thing to note about this property is the stairs. Our room being on the fourth floor was somewhat of a trek but in no way a hardship or problem. At the beginning or our stay we were winded each time we climbed to our room but by the end of our stay we were able to venture up the stairs in record time! The only thing to consider is If you have mobility problems, this property may not be for you as there is no elevator available.

If we should return to Amsterdam we would without a doubt book with this hotel again. We throughly enjoyed our stay and all aspects of our stay were excellent.

Thanks Amsterdam Canal Hotel! Until next time.......

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

The hotel is beautiful, in a old amsterdam mansion. Breakfast above the average. Rooms very confortable. Staff very cooperative and willing to help. The localization is very good, you can walk to almost all amsterdam attractions. You can also get a tram easily , if you will. The price is a bit expensive, just as any place in amsterdam.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

small hotel. no lobby, no facilities. small rooms. nice canal view. good sufficient breakfast.
no elevator. but typical dutch hotel , i guess.
everything is just enough , but a bit stingy.
i think the price is too high , but i don't have experience in dutch hotels.

Room Tip: ask for room size.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Amsterdam Canal Hotel? Share your experiences!