“Escape from the hubbub” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 350 Hotels in Amsterdam
Calgary, Canada
“Escape from the hubbub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

If you have a layover of 22+ hours in Amsterdam, leave the airport and head to Hotel V. It is a hidden gem with many welcoming features: the decor, the bedroom, the bathroom, the reception and to top it all - the restaurant! Initially, we tried to go out for dinner. We adopted the rule of walking 5 blocks away from the hotel to find a restaurant not filled to the brim with tourists. No success. Went back to the hotel and noticed "The Lobby" restaurant. It was full but we were allowed to eat sitting on the couches. Best dinner ever. For breakfast - best. Now we can't wait to
spend more than 22 hours there!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

This is a great hotel in a fabulous, quiet location. We had a lovely dinner at the hotel restaurant which I highly recommend .
The only downside was that the hotel does not have porters. However the staff was very helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

This is a great hotel. So central to everything in old town Amsterdam. 2 blocks from Dam Square.
The rooms are large with a great bathroom.
There is an amazing restaurant on site - breakfast there is a treat.

The deco of the hotel - think boutique with a twist.

Amsterdam is a busy, crowded(drunken) city on the weekends. Some of the rooms face the street and can be a little noisey when the clubs empty.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I'm not entirely sure I should be sharing this secret with too many people, so I'll just let Tripadvisor followers in on it!
I have been staying at this hotel regularly for the past year as I travel with my business and there is a reason I go back month after month - it is genuinely fantastic. Small and fairly new (only a bit over a year old), very cool and funky design in the bedrooms and the main areas and just a great staff team. Add to that the location, just off the Dam Square, so you are close to everything, and the cool, breezy calmness of the place and you have a winning formula.
The restaurant has won awards (and deservedly so) and is always buzzing. They have a great wine selection too (which is often overlooked by hotels I find) But at breakfast, its relaxed and has a great selection, all freshly prepared. I like their eggs benedict! Their understanding and quality of their coffee is also exceptional.
The staff are knowledgeable and engaged and the service as a result is very friendly and efficient.
Great little square outside for drinks and dinner in the summer evenings.
I just wouldn't stay anywhere else in Amsterdam, it is well worth booking ahead though as it is doing well and very often booked up.
So ssssssshhhhhh...don't tell too many people!

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice, try the suite if you can afford it.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Everything about this hotel was amazing! The room was very good, the hotel's restaurant, the location, ... I would deffinetly stay there again!

I was in Amsterdan on April 2014, which by the way is an amazing season, with lots of tulips throughout the city!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

What a lovely hotel, lovely friendly and helpful staff.
The room was spacious, proper double bed, (not 2 single beds pushed together which we encountered for most of our stay in Holland) tea and coffee, great bathroom all perfectly clean. Funky decor
We slept very well.
The breakfast was very good, waitress service not buffet, which makes a change.
The Hotel is situated within walking distance of most attractions.
We really enjoyed our stay, thank you to all the staff.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Booked hotel after TripAdvisor said the one I booked had "biting ants." Okay then.
We arrived at the hotel after a dishonest cab driver (I should have spotted it at the station, my fault) had taken me far far away from Central Station and charged me 25 euros. We were arguing and we dragged our bags into the hotel for help. The hotel calmed things down, the man went away with 15 after a scene and the manager gave us a glass of wine to start our first visit to Amsterdam in a better spirit. They opened a bottle for us.
What kind people, but we found Dutch people to be like that, so friendly and relaxed about pleasure.
We spent five nights there. The front desk staff were marvellous throughout, the rooms spacious and just frighteningly cool, so original and comfortable. We were in 302 and yes, you're right, the back of the hotel is completely quiet, which I needed as it was a work trip. I don't see a problem with lack of storage; there were huge open shelves for everything (I wish more hotels did this) and the safe worked. The hair dryer was not great, but they never are, nowhere. Loved the huge shower, a room really.
But the stunner is the Lobby Restaurant. The food there was, I think, even better than in Paris. It's partly the brilliant cooking and invention but also that the ingredients are clearly so fresh. I had the corvina, the chimichurri, the mullet, etc. and all were wonderful. I don't eat desserts. The desserts here were irresistible. On my last night I had the Buttermilk Mousse which was the best dessert I have ever tasted, so light and fresh and the strawberries were small, sweet and perfect.
I'm picky about hotels. They can easily destroy a vacation and on a work trip, the hotel room is a refuge from a difficult day. The Hotel V Nesplein was a small perfect Dutch version of my favourite hotel in London, the St. Pancras, and this astounds me because they spent oh, a hundred million pounds on that one, and the food there is good.
I loved this hotel and recommend it to everyone. The location is so central and once you find this tiny alleyway, you have Amsterdam waiting for you.

Room Tip: Yes, the rooms at the back are very quiet, you'll need that near Dam Square. The front desk has...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Been to Hotel V Nesplein? Share your experiences!