“An eye opener” 4 of 5 stars

Hervey Bay, Australia
139 attraction reviews
“An eye opener”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

This tour was not what we expected. Our guide was a retired male prostitute and conducted a very informative tour. It was much more than about sex.He described how the area was the safest in Amsterdam because of the security. We really enjoyed it and definitely recommend it if in Amsterdam.

Visited May 2014

“Red Light not so bright”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

When in Amsterdam....
On a two day stop over after cruising The Rhine with Viking, we set out to explore. First observation is it's filthy dirty. Gum and cigarette butts cover the sidewalks. As much as I would like to be looking around at the sights, I was concerned with watching where I stepped. Food in restaurants was okay and lots of shopping in stores I can get at home. There are novelty stores full of penis and vagina candy, cookies claiming to have cannabis, and all sorts of dope paraphernalia. Sex stores, museums, typical touristy stuff. Of course we checked out the Red Light District, you have to, even in spite of my review. It was dirty with aforementioned gum and cigarettes and also garbage. Bags of garbage everywhere that were picked over by seagulls. Food on the ground and I have to say I welcomed the smell of pot because it covered the strong scent of urine. Naked women standing in doorways...yup just as I suspected, no surprise.
The second thing of note were the bikes, pedal bikes, over a million of them and they take the right of way over pedestrians and even cars. They are fast too and don't slow down. You should receive a shirt that says "I survived Amsterdam without being run over by a bike" I'm not exaggerating. Personally, I wouldn't go back. I can say I've been and that's good enough. It's just too dirty to enjoy (the streets not the people). It was my least favorite place I visited in 18 days, four countries, any many many cities. You too can see everything in a few short hours so make it your stop over but don't bother staying.

Unless you'll be high the whole time...that's another story.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 attraction reviews
“A Must Do | Amsterdam Red Light District Walking Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

We had a trip early on and we barely managed to get on the waiting list for this tour.. the group was so large it had to be split into two groups one with a lady and other with ' STEVE' and We both_My friend and I - two girls (seychelles+Indian) were so glad we got to go with him..This was the highlight of our Trip, we now have backing and funny strories thanks to Steve, He is Funny and protective (he took good care of his group) informative. we learnt that its not all about sex, we learnt about respect for the workers, we learnt about how tolerant the country is. I would recommend this trip to anyone going to Amsterdam for the 1st time and remember to ask for ' Steve / Steven)

New York City, New York
3 attraction reviews
“Funny and Informative”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

On our trip to Amsterdam we thought it would be funny to find out a little more about the Red Light District. I am so glad we did because the tour was hysterical, amusing and informative. Our tour guide, Steve, was shameless and explained all of the inner workings and norms of the city, down to how to roll a joint and pay for sex. I don't think I stopped laughing the whole 2.5 hour tour. But he also gave history of the city as well! Awesome experience, if you have time you should definitely check it out!

London, United Kingdom
“red light district”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

The red light district is a must see, we went in the day time and in the evening! Both times it was interesting and an eye opener, with the prostitutes just standing in the shop window's and sex being sold so openly, hard to take it all in but all age groups where present and it was calm and chilled! There's so much more to Amsterdam than the red light district but if your there you need to visit it! Great experience,