“Great Place for a Special Night” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tales and Spirits

Tales and Spirits
Lijnbaanssteeg 5-7 | 1012 TE, 1012 TE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Centrum)
+31 6 55356467
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #68 of 2,580 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Bar, International
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Centrum
Description: We love food, every second, every minute and every hour we think about food. Eating shouldn't be done only three times a day. We like to eat all day long. That is why our kitchen is open till late in the evening. In our kitchen we don't differentiate between starters and main courses. Just order what you like and if you want to eat more, you order another dish. Our kitchen combines the best of different international cuisines, using classic and avant-garde culinary techniques. Did we mention we love food? Hmmmm.... However we might love our drinks even more! The variety in drinks is so big, that nobody should stick to one drink in their life. At T&S we offer you a wide variety of spirits which all have their own story. We like to introduce you to new flavor combinations in our drinks and tell you the tale of the spirits which come together in your glass.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Great Place for a Special Night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

Came here with friends about a week ago to celebrate my birthday, and it probably was the best birthday dinner I've ever had. We started with amazing cocktails as aperteifs, had two courses and desert with great wine to match, and at every stage people were raving about their food and drink choices as some of the best they've had. One of those evenings where every drink and every plate was a home run!

It's certainly on the pricey side- more a special occasion place to visit on my usual budget- but the service and atmosphere and food are impeccable (and even if you just want to go for drinks that's fine here, it's arguably the best cocktails you'll have in Amsterdam).

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Milan, Italy
“Drinking is a serious thing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I read about this bar on a guide, that describe it as best bar in the world. No matter how the bill will be, i need to try it, i said myself. Not far away from Dam Square and the port, Tales and spirit is an elegant bar, modern but contemporary, with the right design. i went here three times, in couple of days. The guys working behind the desk, are friendly, passionate and serious. The list got beautiful drinks, complex, with special names. Also the glasses for an example of my long island was special. Water before any drink, young people around, only the music not match the perfect atmosphere in the air. by the way, maybe not the best bar in the world, i don't know, but for sure a place building with passion, elegance and heart. that's what a i need, a dynamic vibration inside, the cool touch of modern respecting the tradition. If you're in amsterdam, this is an address you can't miss.

• Visited November 2013
Amsterdam
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Top Notch Cocktail Bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I have been living in Amsterdam for over 7 years and T&S is by far the coziest yet elegant and cheeq bar I have ever been to. The cocktails are very creative and delicious. The presentation is very entertaining. Also, the food which you don't expect from every cocktail bar is rather good. The options are limited but the taste compensates that.

In T&S, one has many options I think. It is a place in which you can either start the night with few cocktails before going for dinner or you can combine drinks with dinner or even visit the place after dinner when they turn the volume of the music a littler higher.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Northbrook, Illinois
“Perfect New Year's Eve Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

We just spent New Year's Eve at this innovative restaurant. Upon entering we noticed the enormous bar and rustic atmosphere. One would think that the restaurant serves nachos and mozzarella sticks. But instead, we had one of the best New Year's Eve meals ever. I had been emailing the restaurant for weeks about a reservation and to inquire about a vegetarian option for their prix fixed menu for the evening. We sat down and noticed that the restaurant had printed menus for our meal. What a wonderful touch to a special night. The chef was very creative in his choice of vegetarian selections. Each course was so delicious that we could not wait for the next one! The waitstaff was very attentive and the timing of the dishes was perfect. We will always have very fond memories of our New Year in Amsterdam.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Disappointing is an understatement”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

I wouldn't call this the worst place I've ever been to, but it's close. For the price, you would expect some substance.

Obnoxious service and sample size portions. Not sure what the concept of the place was when I went, but it sounded like it was "how many times can the waiter interrupt your conversation" night. The answer is 15 times. I kid you not.

When I say sample size portions, I literally mean that you could go into a supermarket and find marketers handing out cheese samples bigger than the cheese plate they serve here.

I would say the drinks are fine though. Nothing special.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere