“Food is ok but slightly small portions” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1,134 of 2,239 restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Vegan
Brussels, Belgium
“Food is ok but slightly small portions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

I've been two times to terrazen, I've seen here on TA many people complaining about the service but I don't agree with them. For sure it is not a regular restaurant with trained waiters etc, it's apparently run by a family and the atmosphere it's very nice and cosy, the guy who served me (probably the owner) was always very kind. My complain is about the value for money: too expensive for the small portions they serve, at my advice. And the menu could be better written, explained, organized. Another suggestion for the management: please don't suggest or serve natto as a main course, I would serve it as a side dish as it has an extremely strong and particular taste ;)

65% Recommend
London, United Kingdom
“Wish i could rate higher...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

I went here with my girlfriend, pretty excited given the reviews and the fact we are vegan. The male owner i found out is Guyanese like my grandparents and his wife is Asian.

When we got there, it was empty... I mean completely empty, but the owner came in a few moments later. He was kind, but seemed a little annoyed at something but lightened up as time went by, cracking jokes and entertaining the next set of customers that walked in. We ordered quite a bit to 'take away' even though i was not happy with the menu, lots of 'fake' meat, tofu/soy and other things which yes are 'vegan' but i dont eat anything that is not good for you, i research all foods.

So we waited for our food... 20mins went by and his wife came in, great we thought, shouldnt be much longer now as she was there to help. Unfortunately they had a little arguement and i think thats where my order started to go wrong. We waited another 10mins and were presented with part of our order... But to eat in. We said that we ordered take away and it was taken back. 10mins later another part of our order turned up and AGAIN we had to say we ordered take away. Eventually after about a hour we got our order and left, upset as the time spent there had ruined our plans for that afternoon.

The food was good, could be better presented. The time taken for the food to arrive needs to improve and the menu could use some healthier dishes. But i guess it is vegan and offers began food. I will try once more next time i go to see if that was a one-off.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Calgary
“Juuust.... Don't go.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I am vegan and my husband is not. I have never been to a 100% vegan restaurant, and after reading all of the positive reviews, I was so excited to go to TerraZen. I convinced him to go and we tried to stop in for dinner.

When we walked in, we were sort of surprised by how dark and crowded it was—the furniture is poorly placed and makes the place seem even smaller than it actually is. And, the lighting is very poor. But I was sooo excited, so we planned to stay!

Well! I'm not sure what the deal was, but the server completely ignored us while we stood there for 5–10 minutes. She continued chatting with the folks at a table, who seemed to be her friends. There was one empty table, but it was full of dirty dishes and we didn't feel comfortable inviting ourselves to sit down. Eventually, we left. I was so disappointed!

The next day was my 30th birthday and I decided I wanted to try going there again to see if we would get luckier with the service. I should have known better! The service was actually better, but that's basically the only positive thing I can say. The place is dirty... it's in need of a really, really good cleaning. I hadn't noticed that so much when we just stood in the doorway the night before. It's disorganized... it took about 20 minutes for our drinks to come (I think they have storage just off-site? They kept going out the front door to get things from somewhere, including our drinks!). All of our food came staggered, which is fine... just a little odd. The food itself was not very good, which sucks even more when you've dragged a meateater to a veg restaurant. I always want veg food to be impressive, and this was so far from it. Some of it was just 'okay', and some of it was just bad.

And to top it off, the cook (possibly the owner?) yelled at the server and made her cry. Completely inappropriate and uncalled for.

What a disappointment... I'd love to be able to say otherwise, but unfortunately, I can't! Stay away... just go somewhere else.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Amsterdam
“Great little place with great vegetarian / vegan meals.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Really cool place with chill feel all around. The menu is delicious but I couldn't order much since most of the dishes contain some sort of soy product. Their onion garlic toast is to die for - nothing like I ever tried before (but again it had miso).

Will try them again in the near future - too great of a place not to.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Great vegan food in the centre of Amsterdam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband and I went to TerraZen Centre for a late lunch yesterday. We had the Teriyaki Tempeh Burger and the "Chicken" Katsu Rice Bowl with Miso Soup. Both dishes were delicious.
We were the only guests, which was not surprising for 3pm in the afternoon, and service was friendly and swift. Some reviews mention an issue with the bathroom - we found it to be very clean.
The quality and taste of the food was really outstanding - I would say that this was among the best vegan food I have had in a restaurant in the Netherlands. The place itself is small and somewhat chaotic looking (in a charming way), so definitely more a place for a relaxed group dinner or lunch than a posh meal.
We felt that the food was good value for money by Dutch standards - we have paid a lot more for less good food elsewhere.
We'll definitely be coming back!

• Visited September 2013