“Super little restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Super little restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

We came across this restaurant on trip advisor and what a great find it was. It's a small restaurant & doesn't look anything "wow" from the exterior however the food speaks for itself. The service was polite, friendly and quick. Our meals were delicious, really tasty and if we come back to Amsterdam we would without a doubt visit again. If you enjoy thai food, you must visit this place

Visited February 2014

Cardiff
“As good as it gets”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

Booked this restaurant as it is the top Thai rated one in Amsterdam, and we were very happy that we did. Doesn't look much from the outside, but lovely and cosy inside.
Great food, lovely attentive service, great prices, Just loved it. Recommended it to my daughter you joined us in Amsterdam and she is going tonight with her husband. We are frequent visitors to Thailand and this was up there with the best of them.

Visited February 2014
“Super good Thai food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Again, I preface my review by stating that I give my ratings comparing apples to apples. If what you are looking for is a five-star atmosphere with prices to match, this would not be your choice. However, if you are looking for excellent Thai food in a moderate price range, this is a five-star experience and you will get more than you have bargained for.

There are several things I look for in giving any restaurant a top rating and they are: great service, friendly service, an easy-to understand comprehensive menu, and super good food served hot.

This is a very small restaurant and it is not one that offers you a romantic, brand-new, modern style. What you get is a very nice and appealing restaurant with a waiter who quickly comes to seat you, brings the menu immediately and makes sure you get your needs promptly attended to.

Thai is our (me and my husband) favorite cuisine. Regardless of the city or country, we look immediately for what we think might be the best one -- and, thank you, Tripadvisor, for coming through once again! As I have stated in prior reviews, yes, most of my reviews get a top rating but this is because we have done our homework and find places that we are pretty sure will merit a top review. It is not because I am so easy to please. It is because I am not, therefore I (we) try to find the best choice before entering a new establishment. My husband does this homework for us.

We were seated immediately and given menus, along with a basket of tasty crunchy rice cakes (????)

I soon found my choice for my meal, which was going to be either Kaeng Khaw Whaan Kai or Phanaeng Neua. My husband decided on Kai Priaw Whaan.

It is so nice for me when a waiter has the confidence to actually make a suggestion when asked. I quickly decided, with his help, to try the chicken dish which he promised would be very spicy.

For drinks, I had jasmine tea and my husband a Heineken. Both were promptly brought which meant I did not deduct any "points" for slow service, my biggest pet peeve in dining out.

Soon thereafter, a nice lady brought two bowl-like devices with a flame on which our dishes were placed to insure they were kept warm throughout our meal. Rice is included which the waiter placed in generous portions on our plates.

My chicken dish was perfect. It was very spicy, which I had been promised (but not so much so that my mouth was burning). The green curry was flavored with basil and coconut milk and had some nice slices of bamboo mixed with the chicken. May I admit this without shame? I ate every single bit, including leaving not a drop of sauce. It was not too creamy, and was not runny. My dish was a five-star in any book.

My husband had the chicken in sweet and sour sauce. He does not like spicy foods. I tasted it and thought it was very good. Not my cup of tea but it was certainly something he really enjoys. It included cucumbers and pineapple -- the regular things you get in s&s dishes. He said, had he been asked for his own rating, he would give it a 4. Now he did admit this: he always gets pad Thai and this dish would never had been his choice had the pad Thai on the menu not been vegetarian.

After inquiring about our enjoyment of our meals, my husband told the waiter he would have preferred pad Thai and was told that that is available if you ask. We do plan to visit again during this trip to A'dam and my husband will give the pad Thai with shrimp a go. Unfortunately, TA will not allow another review without a month in-between visits. It will be interesting to see if he decides whether that merits "his" five-star rating.

I did visit the women's restroom. It was not completely immaculate but clean with everything needed, although small.

I stand by my overall five-star rating of this very fine, moderately priced Thai restaurant in a very good location near the Flower Market with its excellent food, choices and fine/quick service. If you love Thai food as much as we do, you will be delighted.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Delicious food, good price, nice staff and accentral location! An unexpected surprise. I recommend the pad thai vegetarian dish with singha beer. Will get back here very soon!

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Real, great Thai food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

During my 6 months in Amsterdam I gave Thai Phutakun a try after the good reviews on here and was not disappointed!! Simply put the food is beautiful, friendly staff and the prices are really reasonable, especially when you consider the quality of it! Would definitely recommend Thai Phutakun for people who enjoy Thai food or are interested in trying it. Thank you for the great meals I enjoyed there, I would love to come back!! :)

• Visited December 2013