“Not for veggies” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 2,460 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Senses restaurant prepares unconventional and creative food art. Where possible we make use of the best organic and sustainable ingredients to tickle all your Senses! Let us tickle all of your senses with one of our Senses surprise menus! Tell us what you do not like to avoid disappointment and of course our chef will take your special dietary wishes or allergies into account. Located in the vibrant area of Amsterdam, 'Senses restaurant' is just minutes away from the Rembrandt square and the art deco Tuschinski cinema.
Pennines
“Not for veggies”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

The menu looks so promising but the stench from the open kitchen of meat being cooked is dreadful. We had to move into the lobby of the hotel to eat as the smell was so bad.
I was assured the beetroot risotto was vegetarian, which maybe it was but virtually inedible. This is a dish that I love cooking (using Dennis Cotters recipe) and it should be a vibrant dish full of earthy flavours. This was full of cream , looked awful and tasteless. My husband who is pescetarian had scallops, again tasteless except for the meat juices that must have been already on the griddle. His main fish dish he said was ok but not good and certainly not worth the money.
I think even if you are a meat eater I would suggest you steer clear - there is plenty of choice in Amsterdam. My regret is we chose this one.

Visited February 2013
Albushotel, Owner at Senses Restaurant, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Hello precious guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback. I am very sorry to read that your dinner in Senses restaurant has not been to your satisfaction.

Senses restaurant is not a vegetarian restaurant, however we always like to spoil our vegetarian guests as much as our pescetarians and meat lovers. Our chef is always willing to make something special of the menu or adjust his dishes to your wishes. We consider our open kitchen as a benefit since our guests can see our chefs in action working on their meals. And most guests do like the fragances of freshly prepared food coming from the kitchen.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy our recipe nor presentation of beetroot risotto with parsnip and French toast of goat cheese. As you may have read in other reviews on this website, we are often complimented on the looks and taste of our dishes. Therefore I wish you had informed us about your disapointment during the evening so we could have changed it for something more to your liking. Nevertheless I am going to investigate what went wrong with your risotto.

We aim to let all our guest feel satisfied at the end of the evening and therefore I would like to contact you personally about a suitable solution. Please, e-mail me directly on Lisa@albushotel.com.

With kind regards,

Lisa Jurgens
Operations Manager

Estero, Florida
“Tast it and love it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We went with friends of ours with a "groupon offer" , had a 7 course tasting menu , one better then the other one, fresh ingredients, well cooked, not overcooked, crispy veggies.
Beside it also a very nice wine card with some biological wines on it.
And all this with a service which you do not find in to many restaurants.
We enjoyed the evening, were the last ones to leave and will definetely return there.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Örebro
“Best burger ever”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

On this restaurant i had the best burger I have yet tasted in my life. Definately worth a visit if you are staying in Amsterdam.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dublin, Ireland
“Flavourful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Loved my burger. It was gourmet sized but very filling. Liked the atmosphere and the fact that the place is composed by a very ecclectic group, which translates in very interesting dishes.

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Small but fab”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I had room service and the soup was divine (I was suffering from the flu!) I was surprised how tasty it was.

Visited November 2012