“Unique hotel, enjoyable experience! ” 4 of 5 stars

Fletcher Hotel Amsterdam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Schepenbergweg 50, 1105 AT Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #137 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Unique hotel, enjoyable experience! ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

We chose to stay here for my partners birthday based on the hotels appearance and it didnt dissapoint. It was a short 10/15 min car journey from Schicphol. However it cost us 40 euros. They also let us check in almost 5 hours early which was fabulous! The reception staff were polite, spoke excellent English and very friendly. Although I must say that guests should be made aware of the deposit per day situation when booking.

The room card was an issue however, because it controlled the lights etc in the room and it controlled which floor you went to using the lift which created some problems for the pair of us as a second card was not given. The room was lovely. The shower feature was spectacular and nothing id ever seen before. However the element of no privacy soon became frustrating when cleaning etc. The shower also leaked all over the room and so we were constantly mopping the floor with our towels. Luckily for us our rooms were cleaned every day for 5 days straight by the maids. We opted for breakfast the morning of my partners birthday. There was a wide variety of options to be had. Lovely dutch pancakes. However, in terms of the fry up there wasnt an awfully great selection and it wasnt very warm either. All the same it was a nice way to start the day and especially with the view we got with it.

Reviews make it sound as though the train station is so far away when in reality we walked it everyday there and back without once catching the hotel bus and it took us 10-15 minutes. Baring in mind I was walking on a sprained ankle and had I not of been it would have probably been quicker. The hotel offers you the option of getting your train card there and then - sometimes that is a better option as often you find there is no one at the station to help or offer change - which we experienced.

Ajax is approx 2-3 stops away and you can see it from the hotel. Amsterdam central is 20 mins tops. Around the hotel are food places such as McDonald's, KFC and Burger King. The hotel sky bar is a pleasent way to spend your evening overlooking Amsterdam with an amazing view. Definitely worth doing one night during your stay.

The wifi I would say is the biggest issue for a hotel such as yourself as its shocking. Not once could I get logged on anywhere in the hotel as everywhere it was too weak and the same can be said for my partner.

Great place to stay. Would recommend it and would definitely stay there again when I am next visiting Amsterdam.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
peachy87
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for the weekend. A short 10 minute walk from the metro station which was a nice walk in the sunshine but not in the cold and rain. The metro is 20 minutes ride from Holendrecht to Amsterdam central(even though on website states 10) and probably 30 minute ride to the airport.
The room is clean, comfortable,classy and convieniant what we expected from our weekend away and what we paid. Fresh towels,coffee etc all normal amenities were present. Liked the fact that at reception they give you a handful of brochures and booklets about Amsterdam including maps etc.They also offer a shuttle bus service between 7am-11.30pm which is useful rather than walking especially in the evenings(you do have to prebook as only available every 30 minutes and also tip otherwise they seem to not want to take you.We found this out on the saturday when the bus was apparently full at all times suggested to then see only 2 people on there) Reception seemed to be always be busy but receptionists were polite and friendly.You can buy all day metro tickets there which is good as not always people in the station.Bad thing is you have to pay local taxes and also deposit on the room for both nights which weren't mentioned when booking.
Air conditioning seemed to also stay at the same temperature even though was very cold couldnt change it.Room was also meant to be executive king room which was in fact 2 single beds put together which was a little disappointing.Apart from them few niggles an overall good trip.

• Stayed February 2014
Fletcher H, Manager at Fletcher Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear peachy87 ,

Thank you very much for writing such a positive review on Tripadvisor, we really do appreciate your effort! Thank you for the information regarding the deposit, we are investigating right now if it is possible to mention these details on our website. Thanks again and if you are planning to visit Amsterdam again, please don't hesitate to contact me personal.
Best regards,
Stefan Meilink
Assistant Hotel Manager.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

Arrived at the fletcher hotel after booking and paying through expedia.
On arrival I was asked for a 250€ deposit and to pay city tax, none of which was highlighted when booking( Expedia or Fletcher's fault?)
The reception staff spoke good English when they actually took the time to look up from there computer screens and acknowledge I was there.
On entering the room I was impressed with the style of the room, unfortunately not the cleanliness.
Very dusty, wet carpets, walls in the toilet dirty, shower screen and the bottom of the shower dirty and a belt buckle found in my bed.
There were two complimentary coffees in the room with two milk portions and two takeaway style coffee cups. Also 2 small bottles of water with two plastic cups.
While I was there on my five day visit house keeping came on day 2 but I was in the room so they left me some fresh towels on the door handle outside. Day 3 housekeeping had been in the room and emptied the bin, and replaced the two coffees. No cleaning had been done and the bed was left un made. Not 4 star treatment!
The bed in the room was supposed to be a double, but was 2 singles pushed together with two single duvets. The bed was very uncomfortable and the mattress was forever hanging off the bed.
The hotel had a smoking area on the top floor, a restaurant below that and a lounge bar below that.
I tried a drink in the bar, service was slow and the bar staff seemed to be like the Scarlett pimpernel of holland.
There was a coffee bar that was advertised as been open from 630 am til late, again always un attended.
I found the whole experience very unwelcoming and would not recommend this hotel to friends or family.
I agree with a lot of the other reviews posted on here, very stylish
And ultra modern..... But very much all fur coat and no knickers!
Sorry fletcher hotel I'm just being honest.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Fletcher Hotel Amsterdam was my home away from home for two weeks while traveling on business. The room was spacious for myself; it would be very nice if traveling with wife or girlfriend. The shower in the middle of the room as others have stated does not have privacy. Also the toilet is in a corner closet; watch out because the door can swing shut if you don't open it all the way- not a problem, just a unique modern design.

The food was fantastic, although patience is key when dining there especially if it is busy. The Hotel Sky Bar/Restaurant is a popular place for fine dining by people around the area as well as hotel guests. I have celiac's disease which is an allergy to wheat; a shift manager at the hotel also has celiac and was able to instruct the kitchen staff and they were able to provide me with warm GF bread and they would check all of the ingredients in whatever I ordered to make sure it wouldn't make me sick.

I was made to feel welcomed by all of the staff that I interacted with daily. They also didn't seem to mind that I don't speak a word of Dutch.

My stay was in January. The only complaint that I had which I brought to the front desk was that the room never got above 20.4C (68F) which isn't too cold, but I had the thermostat set to 22C because the first few days I was there I had a chest cold. The key must be in the card slot in the wall for the heater and lights to work, so if you spend a lot of time out of the room it takes a while to heat up. Even so, the room never got to 21C. I just put on warm clothes when I felt chilly.

I had rented a car while I was there (being from Detroit the whole train thing didn't really work out for me, but that's another story altogether). The parking is extra but there was plenty of it even at the busy dining times.

The location is in Zuidoost, which I found out means 'Southeast' in Dutch. It is pretty far from the city center, but that's fine with me because the Centrum is pretty crazy. Nice place to visit, but I like staying down in the Zuidoost area because it gave me easy access to the expressways as I had to drive to Germany for a couple of days.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay a lot at the Hotel Fletcher Amsterdam. Several of the staff members were extremely friendly and remembered my name and dietary issues. I will certainly stay there again, hopefully with my wife next time, and on vacation instead of business.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Fletcher H, Manager at Fletcher Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear E46ci,

Thank you very much for your positive review on Tripadvisor. We are glad to hear that we could fulfill your celiac's disease.
If you are visiting Amsterdam again in the future with your wife, please do not hesitate to contact me personal upon your arrival.

Best regards,

Stefan Meilink
Assistent Hotel Manager.
Maassluis, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

We only stayed one night for the Michael Buble concert. Booked diner, shuttle service and breakfast. The room was excellent with good beds.
The concert diner was not fabulous but sufficient. It looks a bit under staffed in the lounge and the restaurant as they can have a much bigger turn over, especially in the bar.
The shuttle service was a bit of a disaster as too many people booked but this was solved getting taxis at no extra costs. The pick up after the concert did not go well either but a phone call to the hotel took care of that too. Just take a taxi and give the receipt to the reception and it was fully reimbursed.
The best breakfast in Amsterdam might be a bit exaggerating but still choice enough.

Room Tip: Very good place to stay if you attend an event around the Arena and Ziggo Dome