“Fab!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sir Albert Hotel Amsterdam

You added Sir Albert Hotel Amsterdam to your Saves list
Sir Albert Hotel Amsterdam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Albert Cuypstraat 2-6, 1072 CT Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Special Rate
€109 (EUR)
Ranked #38 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Fab!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

Great hotel. Super friendly staff , lovely spotlessly clean rooms. On the tram route just outside city centre. Takes 15 minutes to get to central station. Hotel is surrounded by great little restaurants and cafe's. It even has its own red light area. The best thing about this hotel, is coming back to it after a day in the city!

Barbara J, Manager at Sir Albert Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Jarmey,

Sir Albert is absolutely delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at his Private Mansion so much. He wants to thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.

Guest Service is amongst Sir Albert’s highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise.

Sir Albert’s and his staff wants to thank you kindly for recommending his Mansion to other travelers, and hope to welcome back in the future for a truly distinctive stay.

Warm regards,

Barbara de Jong, Hotel Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in Sir Albert las May for 3 nights. The rooms are tiny but so well equipped you don't need anything. They have coffee maker, etc. The service is excellent and the Asian restaurant downstairs is very good. Also, the location is amazing! Just a few blocks away from the Van Gogh Museum, boat rides, transportation and Heineken Experience. Next time I go to Amsterdam, I will definitely stay at Sir Albert.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Barbara J, Manager at Sir Albert Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear Monica R,

Sir Albert is absolutely delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at his Private Mansion in Amsterdam, and is very happy to know that you would like to return in the future.

He wants to thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.

It will be an honour for him and his staff to welcome you back soon.

Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

The hotel was very easy to reach upon arrival to Central station via tram (number 24 if I remember rightly?). We checked in at about midnight due to flight delays and the gentleman at the desk was very pleasant. The bed was by far the comfiest I have ever stayed in when in a hotel - the duvet and pillows were divine. I liked the fact that the room had nice little touches like an espresso machine and remote control lights. We stayed in a basic room and there was actually no bathroom as such - just a shower room (great rainfall shower), separate room for the toilet and the sink and makeup mirror was part of the actual bedroom. I must say that due to the way the room is that I wouldn't recommend sharing with someone you are not 100% comfortable around. We rented bikes from the hotel for what I think was €16 a day. Do not try and tour Amsterdam without a bike it just isn't the same experience - trust me!! The hotel is right round the corner from vondelpark and the museum quarter. I would definitely stay here again if we were to get such a good deal as we did this time around! One thing I would say, is double check your deposit return when checking out - we paid €200 deposit upon checking in for four nights and we were advised by the desk attendant that we were due only €50 back due to city tax and the bike rental. This didn't seem quite right and as I questioned it the woman almost sheepishly printed off an itemised bill and said that it was certainly correct. Long story short we were actually due €150 back rather than the €50 she initially tried to convince us was due. Now none of the above issue with the deposit would have been a problem had she actually apologised for her error, but no, she acted as if we were somewhat in the wrong for questioning her! Nevertheless, lovely hotel and I would have gave it 5/5 was it not for the fact our trip was dampened by the service upon checkout.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Barbara J, Manager at Sir Albert Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Lisa W,

You are right from Central Station Sir Albert’s Private mansion can be reached by taking tram 16 or 24.

On behalf of Sir Albert I want to thank you for writing this extensive review regarding to your stay in Amsterdam.

Please accept Sir Albert’s apologies for the inconvenience you have experienced during your check-out. Your concerns have been reviewed and I have brought your comments to the attention of those concerned. Please be advised that your experience does not reflect the normal experience of our guests.

We kindly thank you for recommending our hotel so highly and despite of this experience we hope that we can welcome you again in the near future.

Fort Wayne, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

The hotel is very "international". Rooms are sleek and extremely modern. We stayed in room 420 which had a two sided balcony. View from the balcony wasn't so hot, but we still enjoyed having a bottle of wine out there. The rooms were smaller, but we didn't plan to spend a lot of time in the room anyhow. This hotel was moderately priced compared to the "big name" hotels. After walking the entire city, I couldn't see where any of the bigger hotels had anything over the Sir Albert. The restaurant on the first level was PACKED most of the time. We didn't have a chance to eat there, and since the other reviews complained about the price of breakfast, we chose to skip it. We did order two cups of coffee which equated to about $7 USD. The staff was incredible. Always spoke with us, greeting us at the door and asking us if there was anything they could do for us. We walked to everything in the city, but beware...we're used to walking long distances. Several restaurants within walking distance. We were VERY PLEASED with everything at the Sir Albert Hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor, corner unit. If you can get a view of the canal, it would be worth it IF you...
Dear NanaFradette,

He recommends his favorite restaurant for the next time you are visiting the area or staying at his Private Mansion, believe us the price is worth it.

Sir Albert and his staff hope that they may have the pleasure to welcome you again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights with my girlfriend, we got a great deal and couldn't be happier.

The hotel itself was modern, clean and in a good quiet location just 5-10 minutes from dam square by tram.

The room was a good size and looked like it had been recently refurbish to a high standard, but beware of the pricey mini bar!

The staff were friendly and very helpful and even helped us order a dominos pizza to the room!

We personally didn't try the restaurant but it always had a good atmosphere and looked busy most nights.

This hotel is ideal for singles, couples, families or even people on business looking for a relaxing stay.

We would recommend the coffee shop over the road from the hotel which was recommended to us by a member of staff, very relaxing with good friendly staff and mostly local customers so no big groups of tourists.

Looking forward to returning later in the year. Hope this was helpful.

Stayed January 2014
Dear Lewy w,

Sir Albert is heartened by your wonderful praise of our hotel, and would like to thank you for letting us know how much you have enjoyed your stay.

He highly recommends his favorite restaurant Izakaya for the next time you are visiting the area or staying at his Private Mansion.

On behalf of Sir Albert we want to thank you kindly for recommending our hotel to other travelers on Tripadvisor, and hope to welcome you back in the future for a truly distinctive stay.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for two nights on a trip to Amsterdam, which we frequent regularly, and were truly disappointed in the caliber of the hotel. The area was nice, although I personally prefer staying in Jordaan, but that's where it stops for us.

The room was rather gloomy and didn't feel clean, probably because it wasn't. There was a large stain on our mattress (dark yellow) that was utterly disgusting (we saw it on our last day when we were searching for something). The curtains looked dirty. They really don't clean the room that well, including during your stay. The bathroom felt claustrophobic. I'm aware it's Amsterdam but we've stayed at Conservatorium Hotel, Andaz and Canal House- all which I would recommend over this hotel.

My main issue, however, is that a very valuable necklace was stolen from my room. It was extremely expensive and was a wedding gift from my husband. I had taken it off and left it on the table while I ran down to get some medication (I had a sinus infection). We had the do not disturb sign on. I probably should have put it in the security box, but I was too sick to think. What upset me is when I reported it to the hotel, they really could careless. They told me they would search the room and look into it and notify me. They didn't notify me, so I asked the next day and they told me they were still looking. The day after that, upon check out, I asked them if they had cameras so they could see who entered the room. They said they didn't have cameras, but they could see what cards accessed the rooms. I asked if they had done that, and they said no.

I was a bit baffled. I reported a missing item. You think they would at the very least check who's entered the room to try and figure out who stole it. They took my information down and said they would contact me if they found it- I'm not holding my breath on that one.

I definitely would never stay here again, not only because the hotel doesn't live up to my standards, but because they completely handled the situation in which my necklace was stolen in a unprofessional manner. The very least they could have done was check who accessed our room, and they didn't even bother to do that. It was such an amazing trip, minus my experience at Sir Albert.

Room Tip: Pay extra, because the Deluxe Rooms are horrible.
Dear Monira A,

Sir Albert appreciates the time you took to share your feedback on Tripadvisor.

We sincerely regret the streak of bad luck you had regarding to the issue in your room. Please be advised that your experience does not reflect the normal experience of Sir Albert’s guests.

After your stay Sir Albert’s Guest Service Manager send you an e-mail explaining that we checked the room again with our housekeeping department and that we also checked who had entered your room. Unfortunately we could not find your necklace or anything extraordinary.

If you want personal contact or should you have any questions don't hesitate to send an e-mail to welcome@siralbert.com. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you have experienced during your recent stay at Sir Albert's Private Mansion.

We would be very grateful if you could give us another chance to fully meet your expectations.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

My hubby and I stayed at the Sir Albert Hotel in a deluxe room for three nights, and had a nice stay overall. We received a tasty glass of prosecco upon arrival, and the staff assisted us with our luggage up to the room. Please make sure you bring the hotel address for your cab driver - several of our drivers had not heard of the hotel before.

The room was spacious enough, with a large bed, a desk and chair, one sink, and a side-by-side glass shower and toilet. The bedding was absolutely heavenly, although the bed was not very long (my tall hubby kept hitting his feet on the desk at the end of the bed). The room and hotel were decorated in a smart and trendy fashion. The room has a safe, a hair dryer, and nice complimentary toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, body wash, lotion, etc.). It could use a few towel racks though. We slept quite peacefully each night.

We did have a few issues with the room. First, there was no shower door for the shower. There were grooves in the glass of the shower, so we couldn't tell if the door had been purposefully removed or if a previous guest had broken it. Either way, the water sprayed out of the shower each time it was used, and we had to lie towels down on the floor in order not to slip. Additionally, the toilets were not soundproof. I know it's trendy for hotels to use glass for the shower and toilet area, but when will they learn that we do not want to listen to our significant others, roommates, etc. use the bathroom? I don't care how long you've been together with your partner, no one wants to hear bathroom business. This is NOT a room to share if you are uncomfortable with your roommate. Lastly, our tv channels kept changing on their own. We think the remote control in another room was affecting our tv, but this did not make the hubby happy while he was watching the World Cup.

We really enjoyed the neighbourhood of Pijp, which surrounds the hotel. For point of reference, it's about a 10-minute walk to the museums, and a 35-minute walk to Dam Square. After dealing with the stag do's (i.e., bachelor parties) in the main area of town, it was nice to escape back to the peaceful area of Pijp. If you walk right out of hotel, you'll find the delicious restaurants of The Butcher (a tasty hamburger place that also delivers to the hotel) and Bazar (delicious and reasonably priced North African food). If you walk left out of the hotel, and then take another immediate left, you'll come across the smallest of the red light districts in Amsterdam. We found this fascinating to walk by. There are also lots of great cafes and bars in the area.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the Sir Albert, although it wasn't perfect. I would stay here again, but would also consider looking at the charming Jordaan neighborhood for our next Amsterdam visit.

Dear B.G._Chicago,

Sir Albert appreciates the time you took to share your feedback and to write this extensive review on Tripadvisor.

He wants to thank you for your kind words regarding to your stay and can also assure you that your comments are taken very seriously. His staff will take appropriate actions to improve in these areas. Of course you can always let Sir Albert’s staff know during your stay if you experience any issues so they can try to solve these as quick as possible.

We are happy that you have enjoyed Sir Albert’s neighborhood and other facilities of the hotel and Sir Albert and his staff would be very grateful if you could give us another chance to fully meet your expectations.

Barbara de Jong, Hotel Manager

Been to Sir Albert Hotel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!