“Great breakfast!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sir Albert Hotel Amsterdam

You added Sir Albert Hotel Amsterdam to your Saves list
Sir Albert Hotel Amsterdam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Albert Cuypstraat 2-6, 1072 CT Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #37 of 351 Hotels in Amsterdam
Utica, New York
“Great breakfast!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Walking around Amsterdam in a meandering morning, we stumbled upon the Sir Albert and decided to do the breakfast. It's a bit pricey but the buffet was excellent and they will make you specially prepared breakfasts to order. If you are looking for a hotel with a great breakfast & it's free for guests, go for it. The breakfast was superb.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

We got a good last minute deal directly with the hotel.
The location is ok, easy to reach by car and the valet parking is not overrated.

The hotel is very stylish but we felt cramped. No real space to rest as the lounge was always full during the weekend we were there.

We booked a deluxe room and asked for a room on the higher floor at the time of booking. But we got a very small and noisy room on the ground floor. We had the sensation of staying in a standard room but being charged for a deluxe room.

The bed was comfy but we didn't appreciate the overall design of the room - very dark, especially on the ground floor where you have to keep the curtains closed. The room wasn't perfectly clean (stains in the toilet,...). The open bathroom isn't very functionnal either.

Our main complaint is about the staff. They're very stylish but not very helpful. No tip were given about the city and the service was really slow. Some of them (at the reception and the restaurant) were particularly unfriendly. Maybe it was because the hotel was full while we were there but we felt that the staff was not at the level of a four star hotel.

Our favorite part of the hotel was the food, very nice with a japanese touch. The breakfast was included in our room rate and we really enjoyed it.

There are many good options in Amsterdam, so go only in this hotel if you get a good deal.

Room Tip: we had the impression that the deluxe rooms didn't worth the extra. Go for the suite instead.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Just returned from a holiday trip to Amsterdam with my husband. We booked the Sir Albert for three nights over Christmas and from beginning to end, our stay was exceptional.

The Sir Albert is modern and stylish with a hint of luxury. The check-in staff were most lovely and had us in our room quickly as we were quite jet-lagged from a cross-Atlantic flight. The room was very nicely decorated and the bed was heavenly (my husband did not want to get out of it!).

The study in the lobby of the hotel was a great place to relax, plan our day and have a cappuccino or glass of wine. There is an iPad for guests to book museum tickets on or just surf the web.

We had cocktails one evening at the bar in Izakaya, the Japanese restaurant in the hotel, and the servers were very accommodating and pleasant to speak with.

The hotel is also in a great area with lots of bars and restaurants in close walking distance.

I wouldn't hesitate to book this hotel again; it made our stay in Amsterdam that much more enjoyable!

Mold, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

My husband and i have just returned from spending Christmas at the Sir Albert, Amsterdam. We were in the city to meet up with our daughter who is working there at the moment. We had a warm welcome and nothing was too much trouble for the fluent English speaking staff who gave us a better room than we had booked overlooking the front of the hotel. The room was luxurious, immaculate, cosy and the bed to die for! I would like to thank the Sir Albert for a wonderful Christmas and would return in a heartbeat!

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

I recently stayed at the Sir Albert with my wife for a long weekend. In light of the high price, I was expecting nothing short of excellent - yet this stay turned out to become a lesson that unfortunately price (and even reviews) are no guarantee for quality, at all!

Upon our arrival we had to wait for the service personell for what turned out to be half an hour. The person behind the reception, sitting there the whole time, seemed to be little bothered by our presence and made no attempt to help us out whatseover. Instead, she preferred talking to her Dutch friends. Next we did not get the room that we had booked (the "Sir Albert Suite"), but instead were moved into a much smaller room (the "Sir Boutique"). The room was rather small for the price category we had paid - but, whilst they charged us the appropriate rate after all - they did not make any attempt to put us on an equivalent room to our booking, nor explain to us the reason why our initially booked room was now not available.

The rest of the weekend was only lightened up by our trips through sunny Amsterdam. Service remained the main issue, the person at the reception continued to ignore us or was rude (also hardly spoke English! which was surprising given that the rest of the people we met in Amsterdam were very fluent).

Overall, I can only recommend not to choose the Sir Albert! There are plenty of nice "boutique" and bigger hotels.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

I stayed at the Sir Albert hotel last week from Monday to Friday with my boyfriend, in the standerd Sir boutique room. As soon as i walked into the hotel for the first time i was amazed, the staff were very helpful and welcoming. There was a fresh vanilla scent lingering in the hotel that remained throughout our whole stay. When we checked in we were given useful information about the local facilities as well as a complimentary city map, with drinks on offer at reception. The hotel was a short walk (approx 15min-20min) to the centre aswell as having a tram stop in the same road. After checking in we were assisted to our room by a host who helped us with our bags. The gentleman was very professional and helpful. The design of the hotel was absolutly mind blowing. The coffee machine was an impressive facility however we were only given two capsules of espresso coffee and standard milk rather than the hot milk capsules most coffee machines provide. The docking station was a lovely bonus as we also found that it took AUX for our Iphone 5 aswell as having Iphone 3G/4/4S pins. The bed was by far the best bed i have ever slept in, luxury soft sheets. TV was brilliant as it provided a range of UK channels. The 'Do not disturb sign' was exceptional, rather than your standard door sign you would put outside your room, the Sir Albert provided you with a touch screen sign where you simply touch to turn on and off. This was visibly seen by house maids from the outside of the room along with the electric touch screen door bell. Shower was spacious and luxury with a waterfall head and the option of a handheld head also. The room provided you with wireless light control offering you several options of lighting including dim and bright settings with use of several lights throughout the room. The safe was brilliant, you simply made your own personal 4 digit code and could reset it at any time. It was these chic, modern, attention to detail things which made the Sir Albert so spectacular.

The absoluty only thing i could possibly complain about was the house maid service. One morning my boyfriend and i were sat in bed and one of the ladies opened a side door which led to another room without even knocking. If someone would of been getting dressed this could have been a lot more awkward than it already was. Due to this we were slighly paranoid it would happen again. We went out that day and came back to both side doors open, giving access to the room next door which was luckily unvacent at the time however this gave a massive opportunity for theft of valuables if unnoticed. Our room was not cleaned once, even after asking the house maid personally she went into our room and just made our bed rather than changing our sheets or towels. When you stay in a hotel for 4 days this is defiantly a major nessicity. If it wasn't for this, i would of happily of give the Sir Albert a 5* as it was by far the best hotel i had ever stayed in, just a massive shame the maid service let the hotel down.

I would advise and recommend anyone to stay here whilst visiting Amsterdam the hotel is spectacular and will make anyone feel like royalty!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

I work as a Concierge in a hotel in London (South Place Hotel), and after a successful first year, I know the standard I am now looking for when I travel abroad. My girlfriend pulled out all the stops in organising a trip away for my birthday to Amsterdam, and as I didn't know anything about it, it was all a surprise (one minute at work, the next on the plane!) On arrival, I took one look at the hotel and loved it.

South Place has 80 rooms and is a boutique hotel right in the city of London, and in Sir Albert, I saw many likenesses. Trendy Uniforms, Unique Art, and very modern rooms with mod cons and gadgets. I absolutely loved it from the moment I walked in. The staff from start to finish were very friendly (something which doesn't cost anything but instantly can make you love or hate a place), and the free Prosecco and balloons on my bed went down well to help me get into the swing of things.

Location is fantastic with easy tram rides (despite the fact we walked the whole time) to the main part of town, and all the museums are just a stones throw away. Even the fact that BBC and ITV channels are on the TV were a welcome bonus! Breakfast was superb, one of the best I have ever encountered when travelling abroad, and needless to stay, this hotel made me have one of the best birthdays I have ever had (although I do have to thank my girlfriend a lot for that too!)

Final things to mention is that we hired some bikes out on our last day (really nice bikes in good condition) which gave the hotel one more string to their bow. A few little niggles, The Blinds were quite hard to open (particularly the one my girlfriend had to climb onto the desk to close it!) and the key for the lift is a tad confusing, all in all though, nothing to lose points for! I don't mind the fact that it is connected to a few red light houses, as this is part of culture that you just have to embrace.

It was my first visit to Holland, and I loved it, the weather was perfect, the people are so friendly, and its one of the best eurotrips I've been on. I am returning to Amsterdam next year for a stag do, no doubt staying in a cheap hostel somewhere, but I may be tempted to pop back to Sir Albert for a night! The only thing that I liked more than Sir Albert when I was in Amsterdam was my girlfriend, as her kindness and love couldn’t be topped! Look forward to seeing you sometime again!

Room Tip: Get the breakfast inclusion, as the buffet is well worth it, and you can even have a hot add on to g...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sir Albert Hotel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!