“Excellent attention to detail” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sir Albert Hotel Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Sir Albert Hotel Amsterdam to your Saves list
Sir Albert Hotel Amsterdam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Albert Cuypstraat 2-6, 1072 CT Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Special Rate
Get a 5-15% discount
Ranked #38 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Excellent attention to detail”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

I stayed at the Sir Albert hotel last week from Monday to Friday with my boyfriend, in the standerd Sir boutique room. As soon as i walked into the hotel for the first time i was amazed, the staff were very helpful and welcoming. There was a fresh vanilla scent lingering in the hotel that remained throughout our whole stay. When we checked in we were given useful information about the local facilities as well as a complimentary city map, with drinks on offer at reception. The hotel was a short walk (approx 15min-20min) to the centre aswell as having a tram stop in the same road. After checking in we were assisted to our room by a host who helped us with our bags. The gentleman was very professional and helpful. The design of the hotel was absolutly mind blowing. The coffee machine was an impressive facility however we were only given two capsules of espresso coffee and standard milk rather than the hot milk capsules most coffee machines provide. The docking station was a lovely bonus as we also found that it took AUX for our Iphone 5 aswell as having Iphone 3G/4/4S pins. The bed was by far the best bed i have ever slept in, luxury soft sheets. TV was brilliant as it provided a range of UK channels. The 'Do not disturb sign' was exceptional, rather than your standard door sign you would put outside your room, the Sir Albert provided you with a touch screen sign where you simply touch to turn on and off. This was visibly seen by house maids from the outside of the room along with the electric touch screen door bell. Shower was spacious and luxury with a waterfall head and the option of a handheld head also. The room provided you with wireless light control offering you several options of lighting including dim and bright settings with use of several lights throughout the room. The safe was brilliant, you simply made your own personal 4 digit code and could reset it at any time. It was these chic, modern, attention to detail things which made the Sir Albert so spectacular.

The absoluty only thing i could possibly complain about was the house maid service. One morning my boyfriend and i were sat in bed and one of the ladies opened a side door which led to another room without even knocking. If someone would of been getting dressed this could have been a lot more awkward than it already was. Due to this we were slighly paranoid it would happen again. We went out that day and came back to both side doors open, giving access to the room next door which was luckily unvacent at the time however this gave a massive opportunity for theft of valuables if unnoticed. Our room was not cleaned once, even after asking the house maid personally she went into our room and just made our bed rather than changing our sheets or towels. When you stay in a hotel for 4 days this is defiantly a major nessicity. If it wasn't for this, i would of happily of give the Sir Albert a 5* as it was by far the best hotel i had ever stayed in, just a massive shame the maid service let the hotel down.

I would advise and recommend anyone to stay here whilst visiting Amsterdam the hotel is spectacular and will make anyone feel like royalty!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

I work as a Concierge in a hotel in London (South Place Hotel), and after a successful first year, I know the standard I am now looking for when I travel abroad. My girlfriend pulled out all the stops in organising a trip away for my birthday to Amsterdam, and as I didn't know anything about it, it was all a surprise (one minute at work, the next on the plane!) On arrival, I took one look at the hotel and loved it.

South Place has 80 rooms and is a boutique hotel right in the city of London, and in Sir Albert, I saw many likenesses. Trendy Uniforms, Unique Art, and very modern rooms with mod cons and gadgets. I absolutely loved it from the moment I walked in. The staff from start to finish were very friendly (something which doesn't cost anything but instantly can make you love or hate a place), and the free Prosecco and balloons on my bed went down well to help me get into the swing of things.

Location is fantastic with easy tram rides (despite the fact we walked the whole time) to the main part of town, and all the museums are just a stones throw away. Even the fact that BBC and ITV channels are on the TV were a welcome bonus! Breakfast was superb, one of the best I have ever encountered when travelling abroad, and needless to stay, this hotel made me have one of the best birthdays I have ever had (although I do have to thank my girlfriend a lot for that too!)

Final things to mention is that we hired some bikes out on our last day (really nice bikes in good condition) which gave the hotel one more string to their bow. A few little niggles, The Blinds were quite hard to open (particularly the one my girlfriend had to climb onto the desk to close it!) and the key for the lift is a tad confusing, all in all though, nothing to lose points for! I don't mind the fact that it is connected to a few red light houses, as this is part of culture that you just have to embrace.

It was my first visit to Holland, and I loved it, the weather was perfect, the people are so friendly, and its one of the best eurotrips I've been on. I am returning to Amsterdam next year for a stag do, no doubt staying in a cheap hostel somewhere, but I may be tempted to pop back to Sir Albert for a night! The only thing that I liked more than Sir Albert when I was in Amsterdam was my girlfriend, as her kindness and love couldn’t be topped! Look forward to seeing you sometime again!

Room Tip: Get the breakfast inclusion, as the buffet is well worth it, and you can even have a hot add on to g...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Leatherhead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

The hotel is modern and trendy and in easy reach of many places. However there are some serious downsides also.
Positives - the initial welcome was excellent and the glass of Prosecco was a nice touch. The staff were polite and tried to be helpful. Deluxe room was good size for a city hotel but then I was staying alone. The bed was comfortable and clean. Free wifi and UK TV channels worked well. The shower was good and towels soft. Toiletries, robe and slippers all as you would expect in a deluxe room in a 4 star boutique hotel. I didn't eat there at all with the exception of one room service Burger meal. The food was fine but it took well over an hour to arrive. This starts the down sides.
Negatives - I was offered a free glass of wine to compensate and when I pointed out that I had already ordered one with my meal they sent it immediately and I had to wait a further 20 mins for my food. No further drink was offered, even though by then it was almost finished, and they charged me for it!! They also charged the full amount for the meal so no compensation at all!!! This is very inconsiderate and poor customer service. The coffee machine regularly leaked all over the side table dripping through the night. They wiped it up daily but never replaced it. The drinks ration is meagre with only one decent teabag and two coffee capsules - very poor if you are a couple.
The lighting was poor and difficult to work by. The biggest downside for me - and I would have given only one point if it had not been for the pleasant staff - is that it is right next door to several brothels with red lights and almost naked very young prostitutes girating in the windows. As a business woman on her own I'm clearly not the target market but the website should be honest about this. It was very uncomfortable walking past this at night on my way back to the hotel and again in the morning as the cleaners were 'servicing' the rooms and you could see right into the 'working' areas.
If you don't mind such a location and plan on eating elsewhere then consider this place.

Room Tip: My deluxe room was sizeable and at the back so very quiet
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Located in the centre, just outside the hustle and bustle. Has very good service and works well at what i think it wants to be: a funky but welcoming hotel.
Service is very good and staff strive to be helpful. Both the restaurant downstairs and the room service are good.
The only issue is room size. I stayed in a normal room which was seriously small. You can upgrade at a relatively small cost (at least you could while i was there), but be warned classic rooms ar really only viable if you are on your own and, even then, quite cramped - if very well appointed.
Having said that, if you want a base which is central and has character (without costing a bomb) i would definitely recommend.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

While in Europe on business for several weeks I decided to spend a weekend in Amsterdam to see the newly renovated Rijksmuseum. I wanted to be close to the museums and the Sir Albert fit the bill. The hotel is a lovely boutique hotel. The rooms are "Europe small" but well thought out. The bed was comfortable with high quality sheets. There was an in room espresso machine. Upon check in a was provided a glass of wine and a detailed overview of the neighborhood. The staff queried what I was interested in and made fantastic recommendations. It was these small touches that made my stay memorable. The hotel restaurant is amazing and not to be missed. With nearby tram stops the location is convenient for all and ideal for those seeking to avoid the insanity of central Amsterdam.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Budapest, Hungary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Located next to the tram station leading to the Amsterdam main train station, it's conviniently located, the staff is very friendly, the rooms are not too big, but you don't spend your time there anyway.. :-)

Nicely decorated, would go there again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

This hotel, on first appearances is one of style and sophistication however, after staying there for a few days we discovered that it was all very cosmetic. The staff had an air of arrogance about them and we didn't find them very friendly or welcoming at all. We stayed for three nights and our room was not serviced once. On the second day, we went to reception and asked them to make up our room and we got a "certainly sir" with a rather sarcastic smile. Needless to say, it was not made up. On the third and final day we had to ask again, this time making a point of demanding that it was done. We got clean towels and that was it! No cleaning, no emptying the rubbish bin, no making the bed...nothing! Would I stay here again? No, not even if they paid me!
Positives - great location, comfy bed and a fantastic Japanese restaurant!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sir Albert Hotel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!