“Nirvana for the young male urban professional on an expenses paid business trip” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sir Albert Hotel Amsterdam

You added Sir Albert Hotel Amsterdam to your Saves list
Sir Albert Hotel Amsterdam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Albert Cuypstraat 2-6, 1072 CT Amsterdam, The Netherlands (De Pijp)   |
Ranked #33 of 356 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

A Time Out Secret Escapes 3 night break for my partner and I. First impressions: everything about Sir Albert suggests that their primary target market is upwardly mobile single businessmen under 35. Location: the hotel is in the outer district close to the Heineken Experience and not too far from the Reijksmuseum and Van Gogh museum but close to a tram stop. I suspect that most guests get a taxi to and from the airport or drive. We were somewhat surprised to find a very large brothel right next door especially considering how far it is from the red light district. Accommodation: white minimalist bedroom with brown and black leather/faux animal skin furnishings, books which include Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and The Three Muskateers, and gadgets galore (including a wall mounted plasma TV screen) and allegedly the 'best burgers in Amsterdam' which can be ordered on room service and a large very comfortable double bed and huge pillows which were great support for sitting up in bed but far too springy to sleep on. Large bath big enough for two and an oversized shower head which meant water went absolutely everywhere - a clear case of design over substance! Jumped out of my skin when I was woken at 7.30 am one morning to the sound of a Dutch DJ. A previous guest had set the alarm clock - a plain black designer cube on a chrome stand with remote control and no instructions as to how to turn it off. Another of the many gadgets! Restaurant: The Japanese restaurant and bar was packed every night with trendy young couples and had a great buzz so is clearly very popular. As breakfast alone was 25 Euros we didn't eat or drink there so I can't comment on the food. We found a lovely cafe near the street market called Bagels and Beans where we had freshly squeezed juice, a smoked salmon and cream cheese bagel and coffee for half the price. Reception: very small for a 90 room hotel. We had the misfortune to arrive at checking out time and had to queue standing up for a good 20 mins surrounded by suitcases before being able to check in as there were only two receptionists. Although polite and helpful our 3 night package was meant to have included a welcome drink, entry to the Rijksmuseum, a canal cruise and a day's bike hire - none of which we were given until we asked for them the next day. The Lounge: although again quite small it had some beautiful art books on display and we had fun playing noughts and crosses in the evening before retiring. Service: the basin tap in our room only ran hot but a member of staff came up immediately and managed to fix the problem fairly quickly which was impressive. We had to book the bikes a day in advance but when we went to pick them up they didn't have any available. They suggested we went to the bike hire place up the street and they would reimburse us but they didn't have any left either. They then suggested another bike hire place near the Rijksmuseum but by then we decided it was all too much bother. They were very apologetic though and did their best to help us. As for the duty managers/staff - of the six we had dealings with five were absolutely charming, polite and exceptionally helpful. There was just one who was slightly older than the rest who bordered on being rude and slightly aggressive. I got the impression that he was more than just a manager and looked down on us because we weren't full paying guests and not likely to be spending any money in the hotel. But if the hotel wants good reviews in order to attract full paying guests in the future and takes the decision to offer special rates to do so then it is important that they treat all their guests equally. Cleanliness: whilst our bedroom and the rest of the hotel was spotlessly clean we did have a rather absent minded cleaner. When we checked in we found a large hair clip on the bedroom floor and the next day she left her cleaning cloths behind. Then the glass bottle provided by the hotel for guests to fill the kettle with kept disappearing and in the end the receptionist suggested that we hide it when we went out for the day! Would I stay there again: this is a good hotel but has the potential to be a great hotel if they paid greater attention to the customer experience rather than how everything looks. Given the price we paid it was good value for money. I wouldn't have been as impressed if I had paid the full rate.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I had originally booked four nights here - Saturday through Tuesday - but was informed late on Thursday that due to a "technical error" they had overbooked and would put me up in their "brother hotel", the Park Hotel about a 5 minute walk away.

When I arrived on the Sunday they were very apologetic and upgraded my room to a suite, although I didn't know what to expect with what I originally booked so I can't compare if what I ended up was better than what I originally wanted.

Not to worry, as the room itself was great: my windows opened up to the canal and the bar downstairs, which attracted a very upmarket and trendy Amsterdam crowd. I headed down for a few drinks on the Sunday night and really enjoyed myself, although it was understandably very pricy.

The room had a very spacious and comfy bed (with many a pillow!), gorgeous bathroom and outstanding bathtub.

Room service was outstanding: a delicious range of burgers and steaks from The Butcher, a local burger joint voted best in Amsterdam. Truly AMAZING burgers. Pricy but well worth it if you want to order in, which I did three times while working from my room.

Service overall was quite superb and very generously informative on everything Amsterdam.

My only major gripe is the location: while it's close to the trendy De Pijp area, Albert Cuypstraat is a very ugly street -- not a tree in sight -- while the walk to the city center is about 2.5km, so a tram ride is a formality.

Also, while not an issue for me, the De Pijp red light district literally starts right next to the hotel, step out and walk along the hotel and you'll be greeted by working ladies. It's not an issue really as the area is safe and generally very quiet, but this may be confronting for families, although I assume they aren't the core demographic the hotel is trying to appeal to (the young, professional and wealthy appear to flock to this hotel).

Recommended for: Couples, professionals and people looking for trendy accommodation near Museumplein.

Not recommended for: party seekers and families.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

this is a great hotel with a funky vibe with a piece of art in the lobby thats bizarre and in fitting with Amsterdam. the only gripe would be its a little too far from the center for walking after a night out but close to museums and tram stops right outside,the rooms are lovely but on the small side and id expect a little more for my money in the suite rooms

Solihull, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

My birthday treat from wife. I can sort of see the attraction, all very designer and trendy with lovely staff and but has all the ambience of what I imagine would be an up market knocking shop (evidenced by the inclusion of a vibrator in the (mysteriously unpriced) goodies box by the bedside. From the look of the crowd inside and outside the bar on the Saturday, it seems to attract the Amsterdam version of the Footballers' Wives crowd (average heel height a good few inches higher that anywhere else in the area plus the need for bouncers); also rather surprised to discover the neighbouring row of brothels (miles away from the Red Light area).

Frankly, I found the place a bit seedy. But then I may not be the target audience.

Plus points - very good shower, comfy mattress, aforementioned lovely staff, obviously a nice place to "get it together".

Downsides - only one decent teabag! Stupidly thick pillows, inability of wifi to pick up Cricinfo, glass loo door somewhat inadequate as a sound barrier!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I booked my trip to Amsterdam rather last minute and as a result had to cough up a fair bit for a peak season weekend break. However, on arriving at the hotel I was so happy that I'd spent a bit more to ensure a decent respite.The welcome we received was perfect, with all staff being incredibly helpful, even offering to book tickets on our behalf to nearby attractions. The warm welcome included a glass of prosecco, perfect after a long journey. To add to this we were informed that we'd been upgraded from a deluxe room to one of the suites- more good news!

The suite was lovely, with all the fixtures and fittings done to a high standard, including a bath big enough for two and a rainfall shower. The suite did have a slightly odd layout, it felt a bit like a bathroom with a bed in it. I believe the odd layout may have been down to restricted space and can imagine that the 'sir deluxe' and 'sir boutique' rooms are quite tight for space considering the size of the suite. Still- the size of the rooms would not put me off booking with Sir Albert again. All the personal touches really made the costs worth it. It was lovely entering the room and seeing fresh flowers, a personalized welcome note on the television screen and jazz music playing on the stereo.

The breakfast was the only area I would say the hotel let itself down. 25 euros really is pushing it. We opted for individual breakfast options instead. I had the eggs benedict with salmon, while my partner opted for the full English. They were both ok, far from exceptional- a disappointment considering the standard I had come to expect from the hotel.

I look forward to staying at this hotel again, I think it's a particularly good choice for young couples.

Room Tip: If possible, pay more to get a good sized room.