“Great Location, Beautiful Architecture, Large Rooms, Great Showers” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht

You added Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht to your Saves list
Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 587, 1016 HT Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Canal Ring (Grachtengordel))   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Advance Purchase 15% off
Ranked #6 of 356 Hotels in Amsterdam
Minnetonka, Minnesota
“Great Location, Beautiful Architecture, Large Rooms, Great Showers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Hyatt left no stone unturned in transforming the building into a architectural gem and providing guests with luxurious spaces and amenities. Upon entering the hotel you can't help but look up at the vaulted ceilings and around at all the gorgeous details and woodwork. There was a small line when we arrived, but we were soon greeted by a gentleman with an iPad. It was a nice change of pace to be checked in sitting down in the lounge over coffee and water, not at a front desk. The staff continued to be very friendly and helpful throughout our stay.

We were in rooms 119 and 120, King rooms overlooking a courtyard behind the hotel. While not the coveted canal view, it was lovely and very quiet. I appreciated the ability to crack open the windows, allowing for fresh air rather than the typical stale, recirculated air found in most hotels. The room is very modern, which many may find off-putting. The decor is bold, the sink and vanity are in the middle of the room, and the shower walks right out into the room (which may be a bit odd for those sharing a room with those not used to seeing them in various stages of undress. However, the shower is nothing short of magical. It is large, especially for European standards, with incredible water pressure. I could have lived in the shower.

The rooms are packed with plenty of amenities; powerful hairdryer, iron with ironing board, robes, safe, slippers, shampoo, conditioner (very rare in European hotels!), cotton pads, and cotton swabs. The Nepresso coffee machine makes a delicious cup, however, took me a try or two to figure out how to operate it.

Wi-Fi : free, powerful, and can be used with multiple devices.

Location: In my previous trips to Amsterdam I stayed closer to the center of town on the Singel canal, and was concerned at increasing our travel time by moving our home base to the Prinsengracht canal. What a happy find the Prinsengracht was! The Andaz is on a quiet part of the canal, but central to everything. 15 minute walk to the train station, 15 minutes to the Heineken Experience, 10 minutes to the city center, 10 minutes (or less) to the museums, and only a 40 to 50 euro cab ride to the airport. It is a lovely part of town and I highly recommend spending time exploring the cafes and shops.

Why only a 4? One is for the price of the room. There are many equally matched hotels in the city with lower rates. Additionally, I am a long time Platinum/Diamond Hyatt member and the staff didn't acknowledge that status nor inform me of breakfast/snacks/coffee available. I am not sure if they were just for elite members, or open to the whole hotel, but another guest let me know about the lounge where we were able to congregate with other guests and enjoy a glass of wine in the evening, and coffee and pastries in the morning. One more thing of note, there is some art throughout the building, some a little creepy, some a tad salacious (it is Amsterdam after all!). If you are traveling with easily frightened children, or are sensitive to profanity/body image, you may want to stay at a different hotel.

I will definitely return to the Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht in the future, especially if using Hyatt points or finding a good deal.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GM-AndazWS, General Manager at Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear vagablondechelle,
Thank you for staying with us and for your nice and detailed review. I am very happy to hear that you were positive surprised by the Prinsengracht. It is indeed a fun and really centrally located Canal. I am sorry to hear that we didn't acknowledge your Gold Passport status. Of course we should recognize Hyatt's most loyal customers. Part of the inclusions of the hotel for all guest are the offerings in the Library. We should have pointed that out to you. In regards to the Video Art, we have tried to be very mindful of the selection, yet, as you acknowledged rightfully, we were trying also to keep Amsterdam's style as a liberal city in mind.
I hope I can welcome you personally on your next visit.
General Manager - Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
den bosch
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

This hotel is beautifully decorated, it's design is almost breath-taking, I really love the lobby!
I understand that there are also rooms in another building. I wouldn't recommend this, We had our rooms in the main-building and I think it is better to just go upstairs to your room, than to walk outside, go to another building, through quite some corridors, and then finally arrive in your room. We just had to take the elevator just behind the lobby to go upstairs and even this short trip to go up was great. (great view)
One other thing: I think I had the best breakfast ever in the Andaz Amsterdam!

Room Tip: Choose a room in the main building
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights in August 2013. The hotel has a very arty feeling, decorated with lots of reminders of the local area and modern furnishing. The service is good and the hotel is spotless. There is complimentary chilled water, tea, coffee and muffins/ cookies available in the lounge throughout the day and wine in the evenings. In addition, there are bikes available to borrow from the hotel but get down to reception early to ensure you get one before other guests- even if you don't manage to get one, the hotel is within minutes walking distance of the Jardin area and the city centre. This would be my first choice hotel to stay in if I was to return to Amsterdam.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I stayed here during an end of year business trip and it was the perfect place for a group of design type folk. The hotel is.....well designed....every inch carefully considered, without the word 'subtle' or 'less is more' in mind! For me, if I am honest, I found it a little too much; maybe a little try hard/ 'look at me', which meant it soon lost its charm. That is not to say that I didn't enjoy being shown off to, far from it, we all like to be swept off our feet.

I like a little more discovery; finding the new, unknown, quirky bits - that's what makes me smile the most. On that note, this hotel is perfectly located to go and explore Amsterdam and is set in a beautiful location, right on the canal. I would recommend this hotel to anybody travelling to Amsterdam.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Wow, what a fantastic place, if you're wondering whether to visit Andaz or not don't hesitate; once you're through the Andaz door relax and soak up the whole experience. All the staff are consistently of the highest quality - nothing is too much trouble, on top of which they are informative and if they don't know will find out any information they are unsure of. The 'style' (translation of Andaz) is quirky, unique, intelligent, sympathetic to the location and with a sense of humour - we're now looking forward to visiting Andaz hotels elsewhere to see how different cultures are featured. We particlarly enjoyed the hi-tec paperless systems in place which use all the best features of modern technology. Amsterdam was already one of our favourite cities, now we have found one of our favourite hotels there - can't wait to return.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
GM-AndazWS, General Manager at Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Stuannrobdav,
Happy new year and great to hear that you liked your stay with us.
We hope to see you again soon in 2014.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

We arrived at 5:45 AM and were cheerfully brought to our impeccably designed, canal view room. This beautiful Marcel Wanders designed hotel was formerly the city library and is located in one of the best areas of Amsterdam. We were fortunate to stay for 5 magical days and enjoyed many of the special Andaz touches... friendly and knowledgeable service, free mini bar and complementary late afternoon wine tastings. We also enjoyed great breakfasts and two excellent dinners in the hotel's stylish open plan restaurant. The Andaz is a must for design lovers and anyone who enjoys a luxurious and distinctive hotel experience.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sacksovic,
Thank you for your review and for staying with us.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay and the design of Marcel Wanders.
Marcel is having a great exhibition in the Stedelijk Museum starting from February 2014.
We are looking forward to hopefully welcoming you again soon.
Toni Hinterstoisser
General Manager - Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

After staying in many hotels over the years there is only one or two that I would go back to. This is one.
The service was exceptional.. very friendly but formal. We stayed after Christmas and before new year, got a very good rate and did not feel that we were one of the cheaper staying guests.Our room was on the 3rd floor overlooking the gardens, large room with rainbow shower, cosmetic mirror, free mini bar for snacks and non alcoholic drinks, "Wen" toiletries. The reception had Ipads to welcome us, checking in was effortless, this was very quick without fuss and we were given complimentary drinks.The library also had complimentary wine between 5 to 7 each evening. Breakfast in the morning had everything hot and cold you could possibly want.. all good quality products and cooked in front of you.
The hotel is very centrally located, about 10 min walk from Dam Square and 5 minutes from Leidseplein Square, on the canal and near local restaurants but also very near shops. My sister has single occupancy and was given the same size room as we had as a couple.
We are already planning our next trip.

Room Tip: Our room was about 2 rooms from the lift but this is not cause any noise or problems as all rooms we...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear yvonnea,
Happy new year and thank you for staying with us and for your nice review.
Let us know if we can be of any help for your future booking.
Looking forward to welcoming you soon.