“Amazing hotel and excellent location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht

Save Saved
You added Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht to your Saves list
Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 587, Amsterdam 1016 HT, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Good Morning Sunshine
Ranked #14 of 340 hotels in Amsterdam
Arnhem, The Netherlands
“Amazing hotel and excellent location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

When you enter the hotel it seems like you enter an art gallery, very modern and trendy.
Staff is very friendly and service-minded, checkin can be done while enjoying a drink in the bar, staff will join you with an Ipad to do the checkin procedure, so no waiting in line after a (long) journey.

Room is very beautiful as well, again very modern design but at the same you can learn a lot about the Dutch history as modern art is combined with Dutch Folklore (delfts blue, wooden shoes and dutch wisdom tiles with facts about the Dutch and Dutch history in the toilets) There is a lot to see in the hotel, you keep seeing new details all time, don't forget to go outside because the location on the Prinsengracht is perfect for exploring the city of Amsterdam as the hotel is located right in the center. You can reach a lot of attractions within a few minutes by foot. (Anne Frank house, Leidseplein etc)

Didn't try the Spa or the restaurant so I can't give an opinion about it.

If you have a high budget and your looking for a extraordinary hotel with a high standard, trendy atmoshpere on a excellent location this would be a good choice.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

332 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We booked two nights at the Andaz Prinsengracht at the end of September before a cruise. We booked an upgraded room with a canal view and it was lovely. The rooms are different with a mirror/sink in the middle of the room, but we found that worked very well for us, as the mirror was two sided and we could both be using it at the same time. The beds were comfortable, the room was quiet, the view was great. There is no front desk. You are greeting by the hotel staff as you enter, offered a coffee/water and seated in the front lounge area and checked in using an Apple IPad....it was fast and efficient.

The only complaint we have is with respect to the dining room. On our second night, a Sunday, we couldn't find a restaurant that was open so we went back to the hotel and asked for a table. It was around 6:15 p.m. and the restaurant was empty. We were advised they could not seat us until 9:30 because they were fully booked. We went back to the concierge who was helping us book another restaurant when the dinning room manager came over and said he'd had a cancellation and we could get a table right away at the hotel. So, we did. Several menu items were not available. The restaurant never did get busy. We asked about it and were told that they had a lot of cancellations! The meal was ok except for my husband's lamb which was all fat and no meat at all....the server quickly removed it and it was replaced.

All in all, aside from the restaurant, this is a lovely hotel, in a great location and we would not hesitate to stay here again. It was, however, very expensive because there was a huge convention in Amsterdam and it was therefore difficult to obtain accommodations....all the hotels were charging higher rates.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, upgrade to a room with a canal view! It's worth it.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GM-AndazWS, General Manager at Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Doris P,
Thank you very much for choosing Andaz Amsterdam for your recent stay in Amsterdam.
I appreciate you highlighting your experience at our restaurant and I want to apologize for it. We should always try to accommodate our hotel guest to the restaurant. Since we change our menu several times throughout the year due to seasonality and local product availability, should the unusual event happen that products are unavailable, we need to be proactive and tell our guest about it and offer alternatives. Please rest assured that I have addressed those issues with the Restaurant Manager and our Chef.
Upgrades are a good point: Always ask our Host at check in. There is a great chance that upgrades are available on the day for a very attractive price!
We hope to see you soon again here in Amsterdam.
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Totally avant garde...step through entrance and where is the lobby? Just well-dressed service staff readily welcome us to stand with them and sign in with their handheld electronic gadgets, pulling key cards from drawers off wall cubicles!
Room with canal view is wonderful, bed comfortable, bathroom, toilet, wardrobe are nicely hidden away behind doors - very smart.
Shelves full of books which one can take away at a price. Location on Prinsengracht very central, walkable to the museums and Dam square . Library cosy with cute tiny tv on chandeliers! Of course it's pricey.

• Stayed September 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed our stay.

Nice spacious rooms (at € 440 without breakfast not inexpensive though). I give only three points since I was a bit disappointed that I had no street or canal view although I had a superior room. Comfortable lobby.

Staff partly nice but you are on your own carrying your luggage which I found quite strange (I was in the back part, you have to go through a garden, or since it was raining hard walk down some stairs and underneath the garden - no fun with luggage). When I complained about this, the guy at the reception did not offer me help but gave me an attitude.

Not sure whether I will come back usually I stay at the Pulitzer.

• Stayed September 2013
GM-AndazWS, General Manager at Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear WoWie1010,
Thank you for staying with us and also for your feedback. Wake your feedback very serious and particularly the comment about employee attitude. We sincerely hope that, if your travels take you back to Amsterdam one day, that you give us another chance.
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We have just returned from our 3 day stay at the Amsterdam Andaz.It is in an excellent position on Prinsengracht.
The staff were friendly and helpful. We had reserved a large garden room and the young man who checked us in told us he was up-grading us to exactly what we had reserved(mistake ).This room has no bath,it was very modern trying to be too clever,the sink is in a unit in the bedroom with the towels etc in the unit as well as soap etc. there is a small shower-room and you have to dry your-self in the bedroom. Everything else worked well but the cost of over 500 euros per night wasexcesive.
The breakfast buffet was included and very good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear pennytourslondon,
Thank you for your stay with us and for your recent review. We are glad you liked the hotel and its location. We understand that our room design is quite unique and can be surprising. The designers idea is to give a less clustered and less compartmentalized room experience by creating more open spaces. Yet, we have also suites available which have a more spacious and separated bathroom area. If you plan to come back to stay with us, please make sure to check out the specials we have all year around (www.andazamsterdam.com).
Thank you again for staying with us.
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I've stayed at many of the US properties under the Andaz brand before and was really excited to see this fairly new addition to the portfolio. I've always been very happy with the concept and this was my first opportunity to show it to my partner so we didn't skimp on the money and booked a canal view room which was one of the more expensive options. On arrival, we were greeted by a young lady who showed us to the entrance hall. To be clear: The hard product of this property is nothing less but astounding. It used to be an old library and it is very obvious that a huge amount of money has been poured into transforming this into a modern luxury hotel. Unfortunately, somewhere on the way they have forgotten to also spend money on the staff and the resulting service as it was nowhere near what I was expecting from an Andaz property: It started at checkin where it became obvious that for some reason, our room wasn't ready yet. Rather than telling us that clearly, we were asked to sit while they "check for the room"- it was around 4pm so perfect check in time you'd expect. After quite a bit of time we finally had been assigned our room and were shown to the elevators. The check in lady was at no point very friendly but she came with us to the room like it's standard at Andaz. We were very disappointed to learn that we had been given a room only on the first floor of the hotel and indeed were almost at street level. I usually get a nice little upgrade as a Hyatt platinum member or at least a room on a higher level so we were fairly disappointed with this assignment but didn't see any scope to argue as it was, indeed, exactly the room category we paid much money for and you could see the gracht- from slightly above sea level. At no point did we get status recognition at all and said check in lady did not ever greet us or recognized us when we walked past her in the lobby during our stay which for Andaz standard is pretty much bad service. But it didn't stop here- service in general was very so so: Several times we wanted to call up about something and guest services was only answered after a lengthy wait on the phone or, worse, one night entirely skipped out of the line without anyone picking up. Upon arrival, the aircon in the room didn't work properly at all so it was far too hot and, as ever so often in hotels, nothing at all happened when trying to adjust the settings. On the phone we were told that someone from engineering would come up shortly to look at it but after about 15 minutes we were still waiting around sweating. After calling again and being assured someone would come look at it, we then suddenly received a phone call that apparently, they had "reset" the air on now centrally. Yes, there was a tiny blow coming now but in the two days following, it never really worked as a proper hotel air con should so we now know why we were given so different information at the time: The air cons most likely are set like this on purpose to save a few bucks on electricity which is bad enough already at a normal Hyatt but seriously unacceptable at an Andaz.

I am used to someone knowledgeable to pretty much pick up instantly which always had been the case at other Andaz properties and is one of the real highlights of this brand. Generally, this particular property seemed to be stingy on staff, at times there was only one or two staff members available in the lobby so it was impossible to ask them for anything if someone else was in the process of checking in or out- nothing in comparison to the legions of helpful staff members who usually wait for you in the lobbies of other Andazes. To top it all off, one evening we asked for some extra bathroom items which we were promised to get delivered to our room and three hours later the were still not there. All in all, a very mixed bag: Great hard product, we loved the pictures and writing in the toilet keeping you entertained and the unusual layout of your room (be warned: if you can't stand your wife or husband, better stay elsewhere as there is pretty much zero privacy and even the sink is in the middle of the room) as well as the great walk-in rain shower and the amazing design of the lobby. However, at an Andaz and at this price level, I expect the same kind of exceptional service as in other properties such as the West Hollywood or San Diego one were I always had such great experiences that I cannot rave highly enough about. Surely, staff is more expensive in Europe but that' Hyatt's problem and shouldn't influence the quality I get as a paying guest. I raised all these issues at check out and got a very apologetic reply but didn't feel very confident about anything really being resolved as low staff numbers are low staff numbers unless you spend significant money to employ a few more which I somehow doubt will happen.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sydneyberlin,
Thank you for staying with us and for your very detailed and constructive feedback. Obviously it is very important for me to learn about our guests experiences and therefore I am grateful that you took the time to share your feedback.
The period of August and September is the most busiest in Amsterdam but besides the larger volume of business we should be able to provide the most basic principle of service: friendliness and efficiency. Surely there is plenty of room for us to improve and your detailed feedback is very helpful for this. Particularly, as a Platinum Gold Passport member, you have quite some experience in Andaz but also other Hyatt Hotels. I have shared all your comments with my management team and the department heads and we are working diligently on improving our services.
Thank you again for staying with and I hope I will have a chance to welcome you back.
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I loved my stay at the Andaz in Amsterdam. I thought the staff in all parts of the hotel was excellent, I stayed in 2 different rooms- 1 regular and 1 suite and they were both lovely. The suite was really fabulous- 3 full rooms and just so comfy. I ate breakfast in the restauraunt one morning which was nice, and had the free happy hour 1 evening in the lobby bar.

The location is terrific in the Jordaan neighborhood which I loved walking around. I got a massage at the spa which I loved, didn't get a chance to try the gym. I will definitely be back!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht? Share your experiences!