“New Money Chic, Best Location in Amsterdam” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht

You added Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht to your Saves list
Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 587, 1016 HT Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Advance Purchase 15% off
Ranked #5 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
San Francisco, California
“New Money Chic, Best Location in Amsterdam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We just had a long stay at this Andaz in two separate canal view suites on the fourth floor and were happy. This hotel has some very good points (location, staff) and some annoying ones (noise). First of all, the staff is mostly excellent. There was one exception in the form of a piggy nosed blonde who reprimanded us when my daughter had a few olives during happy hour. She stated that the food during happy hour in the lobby was only available if you purchased a drink. My father had just purchased a drink and did not eat anything so I didn't see the problem. The library at the Andaz provides free drinks and snacks and is a cosy place to sit facing the canal. No one reprimands you there.

The hotel is very new money and trying very hard to be artistic, edgy and hip. It succeeds in some respects and fails miserably in other respects. On the good side is the lobby, library and restaurant decor (especially the lovely view of the garden in the latter). It fails with all the video installations that range from dull to very bad taste. I was irritated every time I walked from the elevator to my room because there was a tasteless video on a continuous loop of a young woman jumping on the bed with just her underpants and legs showing. The video had something written in English about women and poison which I tried not to read. Poor choice for a hotel in which a large number of guests were families with children.

The halls have an off smell. Stale air? One of the first rooms given to us had a very strong smell of cigarette smoke. Naturally, we asked for a different room and were given another one the next morning. Both the original and the replacement room were on the small and cramped side but had a lovely view of the canal. The second room was nice sized and had the same view. The rooms have good curtains that cover up the light when needed. There are also some windows that open a crack (no screens). The a/c did not seem to cool as well as it could have but since the weather was not that hot we were not disturbed by this. The bed was fairly comfortable and clean. The seating area small. They provide a small fridge with free drinks and snacks. The sink is in the room next to the bed. It is a very odd placement but didn't bother me. The toilet area is small and is covered in wallpaper with interesting facts about Holland. The shower is average sized and had a smell that reminded me of bug spray. The housekeeping does a good job with the exception that they do not provide enough products. For several days they forgot to replace the shower gel. I would call and things were there in a minute. There is a closet in which there is a ledge for your suitcase. This is not great if you have two suitcases as you have to climb over the one on the floor to get to the one on the ledge. I prefer suitcase stands in the room. I didn't ask for them so it is possible that they provide them when asked. They provide umbrellas when asked.

The worst part about the Andaz is the noise. You can hear street noise. We were woken up every morning by the sounds of garbage collection at about 7 am. Also, I could hear my upstairs neighbors. Normally this would have ruined my stay but the good at the Andaz erased the bad. What was good? First of all the breakfasts were heavenly. There is a huge buffet with everything you could possibly want for breakfast. You can also order specific things not on the buffet. My husband loved their French toast. The servers and chefs are lovely. The type of people staying at this hotel are terrific. Just the right sorts of nice couples and families that enjoy their stay without annoying fellow guests. The very best part? LOCATION. This is the most cool part of Amsterdam with the Nine Streets right there full of awesome cafes and chic stores. I did not want to be anywhere else. We will certainly return to the Andaz on our next visit to Amsterdam and I encourage you to try it too.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
GMAndazAmsterdam, General Manager at Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear misanthropicdreamer,
Thank you very much to visit our hotel with your family and thank you very much for your constructive and detailed feedback. We have taken note of all the points you mentioned. I am sorry to hear how you felt about one of our employees. Rest assured we will address the issue.
We hope to be able to welcome you back one day soon.
Toni Hinterstoisser
General Manager - Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Romania, Bucharest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I've arrived yesterday from my trip to Amsterdam.
Andaz is a very new and nice hotel and will book a room next year again.
The style is not like any other hotel I've ever saw.
You can learn history be reading on the wall of the WC :)

+ free internet, with high speed.
+ free non alcoholic beverages and snacks. I hate when the big hotels chains try to rip you off more and more...
+ great room
+ great restaurant (try desert: "savarine rum")

Anyway, it was great, apart from some disturbances:
- I did not like the morning selections of food. I like to see more vegetables and fruits for 30 EUR...
- on the second day, our complimentary coffee was filled with already used capsules. We mention this to the reception and they sent 10 new black capsules.
They also forgot to add sugar and milk on the rush...
- I had canal view room, on first floor. I like to open the window, but this was not possible for more than few cm. The problem was that from 23.00-1.00 a lot of guests were talking really loud in front of the hotel, smoking + the same problem from 6.00...
- on the front door of my room (108) the smell of wet cat is insupportable. I think that the carpet was wet...

Room Tip: get a canal view room, but ASK for high floor! Try savarine rum desert.
Cornelius, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

In the center of the city, steps away from everywhere that you want to be. The Canal View room was great. Others complained about noise but it di not bother me. The hotel is well appointed and the staff is genuine and attentive. They asked about my plans for the day and greeted me upon my return. The breakfast was a little pricey but the selection and quality if food was excellent. I highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

This hotel is is definitely a 5 star hotel. The service is impecable, the location is great for walking around to various sites, the room was well appointed. It is very contemporary and visually exciting. The rooms have everything you can want, free mini-bar (other than alcohol,) robes, walk in closet, wifi, plenty of outlets and an interesting lighting system. To turn the lights on in the room, you must leave your card key in th holder next to the door. It took us awhile to figure that out and gave us a good laugh at the "high tech." We only stayed one night, after doing a Rhine river cruise, but wished it could have been longer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights for a little Amsterdam city break and can't recommend it enough. All of the staff were polite, friendly and helpful, the customer service was so natural and some of the best I have experienced.

Great location for getting around Amsterdam even without taking your life in your hands on a bike!

The hotel itself is like a work of art, everywhere you look there are little pieces or phrases and you really need to look around to notice everything. I don't remember ever taking pictures of a hotel bedroom toilet before but thats the pictures which everyone loved when I got back.

I would recommend having a guide book if you do not know the area. The staff can provide recommendations but if you want to experience Amsterdam just do a bit of research. The Dutch also eat early which takes a bit of getting used to.

The hotel is great and a great base for an Amsterdam break.

Room Tip: Internal or External rooms are both great so don't worry if you get allocated an internal view r...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
GM-AndazWS, General Manager at Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Bex2683,
I just wanted to thank you for the very nice review and your feedback. Especially the general feedback on Amsterdam is very helpful for fellow travelers.
I hope we can welcome you back soon to Amsterdam and to Andaz.
Toni Hinterstoisser
General Manager - Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht
Los Altos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Just returned from an incredible stay at the Andaz, which is located in a charming neighborhood. It's close to all the action -- the museums, Anne Frank house, boutique shopping on the Nine Streets, etc. -- yet feels worlds away from all the touristy craziness. We arrived at the hotel to find two adorable bikes parked out front and immediately commented on them at check-in. It was then that we discovered the bikes were free for hotel guests to use. Score!

There are so many little touches that make this hotel great -- the funky design, the free (non-alcoholic) drinks and snacks in the rooms and lobby, and the wine reception every evening. We really felt right at home. Breakfast was great with lots to choose from on the buffet, plus the ability to order hot items from the kitchen. Nespresso in the room was a huge plus!

The staff at the hotel is amazingly attentive. Bowie, Manuel and the rest of the crew could not have been more helpful or friendly. They made us dinner reservations and got us tickets for the museums, and were happy to help. They clearly love what they do!

The only suggestion I would make for improvement is to make getting onto the wi-fi a bit easier. It seemed to be several steps to login each time. Other than that, it was perfection and we can't wait to return!

St. Neots, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Fantastic hotel in the heart of Amsterdam. Visually stunning. Attention to detail-amazing. Every day there was something else to notice in the design. Hotel staff couldn't do enough for you.Could not fault at all. The little extras made the stay special. Free use of bikes, free soft drinks from the mini bar and complimentary drinks from 5-8 in the library. Huge choice for breakfast. Perfect.

Room Tip: Stayed in 404. No need for an outside view when you can see the foyer in its stunning, crazy glory.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht? Share your experiences!