“This is the place to stay in Amsterdam.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht

You added Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht to your Saves list
Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 587, 1016 HT Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Advance Purchase 15% off
Ranked #5 of 343 Hotels in Amsterdam
Glen Rock, NJ
“This is the place to stay in Amsterdam.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My husband just had a glorious 5 evenings in Amsterdam, and I am so glad I changed our hotel at the last minute to stay here (after researching all the top hotels in Amsterdam). We loved the decor: funky and fun, with a nod to the history of Amsterdam. The staff could not have been nicer or more helpful - which we welcomed as we navigated our first trip in AMS. The room was weird but we are not modest: couples who are may not like the sink in the main room. There is a curtain, but you are in the main room (there is a separate room with a door for the toilet). There is a huge walk-in closet that fits all your luggage, clothing, etc, so the room is not cluttered. Also: the room was perfectly soundproofed: the windows must be double glazed because I am a light sleeper and I didn't hear a thing (plus the courtyard is so quiet). I didn't even hear the other rooms' doors being slammed at 7am when people leave to get their flights home, like I usually do! We had amazingly uninterrupted sleep, which is something I don't always get when travelling. The staff sent us gorgeous roses and a tin of stroupwaffels for our anniversary - what a treat.
The best part of this hotel is the location. The Jordaan is the most charming and fashionable neighborhood in AMS: there are shops all along the 'Nine Streets', you are close to everything (alhtough AMS is so small, no matter where you are you are close to everything!). But: some of the city center hotels are in a sort-of seedy location. The Andaz is in an amazing location, totally quiet, and with luxurious environment. The bed is king size, with upscale linens, and the shower is a huge walk-in style with the best fixtures and design. We would stay here again in a heartbeat.
PS- we were there when it was cool out: around 60-70F, so we did not experience the problems with the AC like I just read about - I hope they fix this problem so we can return in warm weather =)

Room Tip: We chose a room facing the lovely courtyard (not on the canal, which I was told can be noisy) and it...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cary, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

A mixed review, the bad unfortunately outweighs the good.
I will start with the positives--great staff, friendly, attentive, helpful. The restaurant exceded expectations, excellent food and even better service.Bar was also good.Excellent location.
The negatives== Our room did not seem to be cooling off properly several hours after checkin. upon going out for dinner we informed the front desk of the problem. Upon returning, the thermostat was registering 83F, despite being set on 65 for hours. We again called the front desk , and were told that there was nothing they could do except changing rooms, however the room would be smaller. After a long day of travel from Budapest, the last thing we wanted to do was to repack our suitcases and move everything but we felt we had no choice. We moved from the second to the fifth floor in the back courtyard building. The room was noticeably smaller, hard to even find a place for the second suitcase. This room was also very hot, but the AC had not been on , so we trusted the hotel personel that it would cool off. Although perhaps a little better, this also was inadequate. The only saving grace was this room had a balcony with 2 functioning doors, rather than tilting windows.We left both doors open all night to help with the cooling. Was disappointed also that there was no real acknowledgement of our inconvience. Most hotels would have comped the room, or at least given drinks or dinner, or at the very least a follow up be the manager concerning a problem with the room that forced a repack and change at midnight.
Neutral--modern and quirky decor, not our style, but interesting. Not a great design with shower in room unless everyone always arises at the same time.

San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

Avoid at all costs if weather is warm. The hotel has horribly inadequate AC. My room is 77 F at 8 PM and the AC has been on all day, blinds closed, lights off. They could and should do better but they cheaped out on the AC. A worker told me that they have dozens of complaints when the weather is warm. I stayed at a 200 year old hotel in Amsterdam last week and they cooled the rooms just fine. Shame on Hyatt. Charming hotel, great location, gracious staff but its a disaster thermally.

• Stayed June 2013
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

My wife and I could not have asked for a better place to end our two weeks in Europe. The newly-opened Andaz is an absolute gem in Amsterdam. The location is perfectly situated between the city center and Vondelpark/Museumplein on a quiet and charming section of the canal on Prinsengracht. The decor is elegant and well appointed, the are exquisite, and the service is impeccable.

While the entire staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome, Manuel set the standard. He gave two recommendations for local restaurants that were away from tourists, and absolutely astounding.

What the hotel lacks in exterior architectural charm, it more than makes up for in comfort, luxury, and service.

Would stay each time we return to Amsterdam!

Room Tip: Canal view a MUST.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I am a really big fan of the Andaz Brand. This hotel is what I have come to expect from an Andaz. The unique designs and the amazing staff. Some may find the fish creepy, but I find it interesting. I docked a star for so-so breakfast buffet. While the location is good, it is still not the greatest for tourists on a shorter stay. I will definitely return here on future visits!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

My wife and I spent a week-end in the Andaz hotel (Hyatt group) in Amsterdam in June. It is located on one of the most genuine, quiet and charming canals of Amsterdam: Prinsengracht. Close to Spuistraat, Leidseplein, Vondelpark, Ann Frank's house, Museumplein, etc. You are checked in to your room in less than 5 minutes by a reception clerk using an iPad while you are sipping tea on a comfortable sofa. The design is flawless, everything seems to have been carefully thought of. It is both modern and stylish. Our room (king with Canal view on the 1st floor) was spacious, quiet, with comfortable bedding, a large window overlooking the canal and, again, a lot of design surprises that work really well (e.g., shower with a mirror from the outside but transparent from the inside, with the canal view). The staff was professional and friendly. The buffet breakfast is a little expensive (approx. 30 euros) but good and abundant. The rooms that do not offer a canal view look out onto a nice patio. Perfect for a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: Obviously a canal view is better. I read negative reviews about a partial canal view but, in our ro...
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

This is probably more of a 3.5-star review, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt here.

The "funky" aspects of the hotel are well-noted at this point. Some of it works, like the beautiful lobby area and the chic furniture in the rooms. We were upgraded to a canal view room, which was lovely and remained quiet thanks to the well-insulated windows. Some of the smaller touches, like the informational wallpaper and books in the room was also fun. The hotel definitely reflects its city, per Andaz standards.

However, the design of the rooms just doesn't make practical sense. Placing the sink in the middle of the room is silly and results in water getting on the floor from all angles. The shower is not private (the glass is nearly one-way, but the person inside the shower remains plainly visible) and I'd feel uncomfortable staying here with anyone besides my wife, which is thankfully who I stayed with.

Service was generally friendly, though I sometimes had trouble finding a staff member available in the lobby. I'm still baffled by the Andaz brand's no-front-desk, dude-floating-around-with-an-iPad check-in process, which strikes me as unnecessarily inconvenient. When I arrive, I just want my key so I can go to my room. The iPad thing doesn't add anything to my experience and I promise I won't hold it against you if you just have a boring, old-school front desk.

Despite the get-off-my-lawn tone of my review, this remains a very attractive hotel in a fantastic location. In short, it's kinda weird, just like Amsterdam. I'd probably stay there again just because of its proximity to most of the city's main sights, while dealing with some of the odd touches of the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht? Share your experiences!