“Interesting, with a few teething problems” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht

Save Saved
You added Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht to your Saves list
Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 587, 1016 HT Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Good Morning Sunshine
Ranked #9 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Interesting, with a few teething problems”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I had a two night stay last weekend in an Andaz Suite.

Great room, large, bright and airy. Huge bathroom with a bath in the middle of the floor. Great decor and the staff were superb.

Few problems - turndown service came at 10pm (a little late), WiFi did not work in my room (but they gave me an extra room to work in), and the room was not cleaned until very late in day (apology offered and accepted, mini-bar not refreshed during stay.

Room Tip: All seem good, although Canal View might be fun next time.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

437 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Andaz is the most amazing brand of hotels. The story that each location tells is the thing that most interests me about their properties. Although the old Andaz in WeHo, CA is my all-time favorite, this hotel blew me away. The Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht was way more than I expected. The location, room, and staff were amazing. The service was great. The lobby was is very comfortable and turns into a great social spot between 5-7PM.

The hotel serves free wine in the library each night from 5-7PM. The library has the most amazing chandelier and table for sitting. While there I met Michael Stevens who works with the implementation of Hyatt hotels, specifically Andaz. He gave us a short tour of the place. The room was nice. I learned that every sink in the hotel is different. Because the building is a former library, there are books everywhere.

The view from the elevator is nice. I believe as you're going up it tells the story of Heaven and Hell. Room 409 has is on the front of the hotel with a view of a canal...not too bad. The breakfast was great. They have a regular menu and a continental breakfast (Hyatt Diamond members can have both, but check your bill upon check out). I did not have dinner there, but I heard it's really good as well. The location is within walking distance of most of the main attractions on that side of town.

The one bad thing I would have to say about the hotel is the video art that it has. In the lobby there is a huge wall of monitors of video art. This particular piece of art was a women in her underwear jumping on a bed. It was the most annoying thing, but apparently it changes often. They would have been better off using a screen saver of some sort for this.

The pictures I took with my iPhone doesn't do this place justice. I'll be back to this location soon!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Staying for 2 nights, mid-week, at this hotel, it was a very good experience. Staff are very friendly and helpful. The hotel decor is very stylish and the bar has already become a fashionable place to drink. Located right on the Prisengracht (canal) it is very convenient for the whole of Amsterdam, and within walking distance of many sights. Plus it is a very quiet and peaceful location, with some nice restaurants and bars just a short walk away. Just watch out for the many cyclists flying past the hotel entrance.

The hotel rooms had a very good layout with separate walk-in shower, and the basin/mirror in the main room. It was well lit by this basin/mirror area, but I think the rest of the room, around the bed and desk did not have enough light, and it was difficult to do work in the low level of light. However, the hotel is very nice and I would recommend staying here if your traveling on business or for holiday.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

My wife and I very much enjoyed our stay at this hotel! They truly go above and beyond for their guests, and are an incredible asset to the Hyatt brand! The location is perfect! The staff is friendly and courteous, and works very hard to ensure that your trip is perfect! They offer you fresh coffee, have iPad check in, and are more than happy to help you create an appropriate itinerary. They are very well aware of the various attractions and locations in the area, and will help you maximize your time in Amsterdam!

We didn't try the pool or fitness room as I don't think it was ready, but they offered alternatives for that until it is completed.

You can't get a better value elsewhere! We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: The suites are certainly worthwhile!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GMAndazAmsterdam, General Manager at Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear Mark42139,
Thank you for staying with us and for your great feedback.
We hope to see you soon again at Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht.
Toni
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Last weekend we have had the pleasure of staying in the brand new Andaz. We started our evening in the bar overlooking the canal with a glass of champagne. After the aperitif we were welcomed in the Bluespoon Restaurant, where we enjoyed a delicious 3-course dinner.
Our room was lovely and comfortable, and of course completely in style with rest of the hotel (designed by Marcel Wanders). We finished our stay with a delightful breakfast. The buffet was well presented and full of home made products. It gave us a real 'home-away-from-home' feeling.

I would definitely recommend the Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht, the made us experience a modern and personal interpretation of 5-star luxury service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I intended to stay for one night but ended up staying for two. Hyatt have really scored with this one, excellent location, very nicely designed comfortable rooms and GREAT staff which is definitely very rare in the Netherlands... This place is hip, trendy, lively, beautiful and comfortable with excellent customer service and good food. Very popular with locals too so it is even fun just to hang out around the bar, especially considering how cold it was outside. WELL DONE HYATT. I will definitely be back and very soon i hope. Its pricey but WORTH every penny. It makes staying anywhere else in Amsterdam practically impossible...enjoy it, i did.

Dear ahmadsameh,
Thank you for your nice review and for staying an extra night with us.
We will focus on keeping up the work and hope to have you back soon.
Toni
Haleiwa, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed at the brand new Andaz Amsterdam for two nights.
The design and style was unique and impressive.
I enjoyed just "hanging out" in the lobby and tasted one of the best expressos in Amsterdam.

The staff and management was very attentive and went out of their way to please their guests.
My room was nicely designed in line with the unique Andaz style. I enjoyed complimentary drinks and snacks in the minibar.
The room offered all the latest amenities including an excellent lightning system, the latest HD TV , and easy access to connect computers.
I did not figure out how to turn off the lights in the room, but leave the light on at the desk. I am sure there was a way.

I was traveling with a friend, and did not care about the open style bathroom. it made the room look larger, but there was absolutely no privacy when leaving the shower. I missed a place to leave my underwear in reaching distance from the shower, so I had to use the floor to find it soaking wet.
The mirror at the sink did not allow to twist. I was not able to use the running water and shave while looking in the mirror at the same time.

I did enjoy the expresso machine in the room and the beds were extremely comfortable.

Unfortunately the gym and spa area were not open during my two day stay. This was disappointing and unexpected. I am sure it will be a nice amenity in the future.

I was looking forward to some Vanilla or Chocolate Fla, dutch yoghurt, dutch chocolate, and Dutch beschuitjes (Bread) for breakfast. The hot chocolate ordered was not of the same quality I often enjoyed in Holland before.
The hotel selected a more generic and international style in their overall good breakfast selection.

The hotel management was interested in feedback and encouraged it. I am sure this will be one of the best and unique places to stay in Amsterdam very soon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht? Share your experiences!