- Modern and well furnished
- Good room size (standard room), may feel a little bit on the small size, but what we expected for a standard room. Good night lights.
- Temp control in room (min 18), able to open windows, which was a big plus on hot days
- Good storage facilities
- All Modcons - Nespresso machine,hot water dispenser,safe, hair dryer/iron, ice available from bar
- Lovely spacious bathroom, lots of mirrors, rain shower, drying rail, heated floor
- Staff (mostly) friendly & courteous (on arrival, we were greeted by a young staff member with a very patronising attitude, but we found the rest of the staff very friendly)
- Late checkout available for a very reasonable fee
- Prompt response by email
- Good Wifi signal, dropped occasionally, but not bad at all, free wifi
- LOVED: USB charger and UK plug, took the hassle out of having to worry about adapters!
- LOVED: the electronic "Do not disturb", "Bell", and "clean room now" signs - very handy!
- LOVED: Good soundproofing - we were on the second floor facing the main street and could not hear any noise from the road whatsoever
- 2 min away from the tram stop, and hotel easy to spot once you get off at the tram stop (almost diagonally opposite). Tram frequency good - every 10-15 min apart from rush hour (5:30-7:30ish), where you might end up waiting a bit longer.
- Away from the city centre, requires a train to Sloterdijk & then tram 12 (2 stops) [Get return train tickets & tram pass at Arrivals desk or hotel front desk] Takes around 30 min including transit time.
- Lack of restaurants around the area, this is a real pain as it means that if you come back to change & shower after a long day of travel, you then have to take the train back to city centre again (tram 12 to Kinkerstraat, then 7 or one of the other lines towards Dam or Centraal), which is a journey involving 8-9 stops and one interchange. The hotel has its own restaurant, though we didn't try this for either dinner or breakfast.
- Lack of supermarkets/corner shops in the area - the Lidl opposite the hotel is one of the most dire supermarkets I have ever been to, and I wouldn't really bank on it for food, but good for essentials like water or jam/ butter (p.s.: tap water is perfectly drinkable in the Netherlands)
- No fridge in room, instead there is a (chargeable) drinks dispenser. I always find a fridge handy for chilling water or storing excess food, or breakfast items. Disappointing.
- Try the lovely bakery opposite tram 12/tram 7 intersection at Kinkerstraat, unbelievably economical & delicious, you will not be disappointed! Try the pancake place on the Dam.
- Print out a map of the tram route from the net before you go, the tram maps that I received were unbelievably complicated (its hard when you only have a few days to orient yourself), and I was really pleased that I had thought to print out a much simpler one from an online site beforehand.
- Do get a tram pass (upto 96 h) - this is more economical than paying single fares, and passes are valid on tram, tube and night buses.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Golden Tulip Amsterdam West Hotel has all the facilities you can expect of a 4 star hotel. It has a restaurant with more than 300 seats that is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. A nice bar, lounge and business centre, 3 meeting rooms and a own parking garage underneath the hotel.Situated just of exit 103 of the A10 ring way, Sloterdijk train station is just around the corner (5 min walk, and the city is only a tram ride away (15 min)Weather you come to our city for business or pleasure, by car or public transport, we are the ideal start of your trip. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Otel, getaroom.com, Odigeo, EasyToBook and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Golden Tulip Amsterdam West reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.