“Fabulous hotel at a wonderful price” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Golden Tulip Amsterdam West
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Molenwerf 1, 1014 AG Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #36 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Lisarow, Australia
“Fabulous hotel at a wonderful price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights in May whilst travelling through Europe. Although the hotel is not in the centre of Amsterdam there is a tram across the road which will get you to Museumplein in just 20 minutes. Once there the tram system is really easy to follow and you can get a tram up to Central Station. On this route you will be in the main tourist district or you can do what we did and walked from Museumplein discovering Amsterdam as we went. The hotel seems quite new. The hotel room is very large by Australian standards so by European standards it was enormous. Large modern bathroom with a fabulous shower and a wonderful bar above the shower for drying washing. Heaps of bench space in the bathroom. The room was clean and modern and if need be you can open the window for fresh air. We slept with the window open and as I always sleep with earplugs when travelling I wasn't at all bothered by traffic noice. The buffet breakfast..... I have never seen anything like it. It was huge! You name it they had it and in abundance including a giant orange juicing machine which juiced at the push of a button. When I originally booked this hotel I was a bit concerned about the distance from the city centre as I was travelling with my mother and was worried about two women travelling home at night but we both felt very safe. The staff were super friendly and very helpful. Check in and out was a breeze. I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

634 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Cary, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

The hotel was conveniently? located, if you wished to take a tram or so, you had to walk a quarter mile to the stop. The room was dirty, with hairpins in the corner of the room, and dirty carpeting.
When I requested an early wakeup call to make connection with the taxi to go to the airport, the hotel forgot to contact the taxi company,so I nearly missed my KLM flight back to the States. Although the personnel were quite polite and apologetic, this did nothing to make me recommend this hotel to others from that time on.

Room Tip: Check first with the local Tourist information center for recommendations as to the availability and...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed in this hotel from 12th May to 14th May. The hotel itself was lovely, the rooms were clean and spacious, the staff were polite and helpful, and it was easy to get to from the Airport and from town. The only problem we had, which we weren’t happy with at all, was that we’d booked and had confirmed a Double Room on the 6th of March. When we arrived, they said there were no more double rooms, and that we’d have to have a Twin Room with the beds pushed together. The fact that we’d booked this room more than two months in advance, and had had no prior warning or correspondence about this issue was extremely disappointing. No effort was made by staff to contact us leading up to our stay. If we’d known, we’d certainly have cancelled and stayed somewhere where they actually book us into the room we pay for.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Would definately stay here again! Rooms were luxurious and the bathroom was very modern with a very good shower. Located out of the centre but there is a tram stop round the corner which takes you to museumplein and from there there is a tram to dam square/central station. you can buy a day tram ticket from reception for 7 euro. Staff were friendly and helpful and the room was spacious and comfy.

Room Tip: Ask for a double bed if you want one
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

On booking this hotel, I knew it wasn't in the heart of Amsterdam. In saying this, as a younger couple we would have loved to stay later in town but due to the last tram being around midnight thought better of it. The hotel itself is great though, massive modern rooms, excellent staff.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

I have stayed in quite a few hotels but have never seen Hotel staff so rude and unhelpful. Some of the incidents which really pissed me off are.

1. Hotel room service: I had just checked in and put on "DO NOT DISTURB" sign on the room, thinking no one would disturb I was having some romantic time with my wife. And the disaster strikes - the room service manager just open the door without knocking or ringing the door bell.!! (Yes they have a electronic door bell as well). This situation put us in a very embarrassing position and in fact made me instantly hate the hotel and the staff!!!! And the worst experience I had ever.
When I asked the room service manager why did she not knock, her reply was something on the lines of "Oh i thought we had left it on after cleaning the room" which didn't make any sense at all.

2. Check-out: We went out in the morning to visit the Tupil garden and on return we returned around 12:45. (We thought that checkout time was 14:00). No one told us, the checkout time was 12:00. On our return, we could't open the room (it was locked). When I went to reception to inquire, there was a old lady with really horrible attitude, I was told that they locked us out and now I have to pay extra 10 Euro (fine of 10 Euro per hours) for not checking out late. I found this very bad as well.

3. Buying food: We were heading to a road trip next day and bought some food from local Lidil. On our return journey reception staff commenting that "You are staying here for just one day, why do you need all this food." it was none of their business. Which made me really frustrated with the staff.

4. Bathroom: the drain on the bathroom was all left open ( I guess they just did some cleaning and forgot to put everything back in place)

One a good note: they have a very friendly female working on the tourist information desk. I forgot her name though!. I needed some help with my travel plan in Amsterdam and she spent her time helping me as much as she could. So well done her. I suggest she should get out of that place and find a nice job somewhere else, or she will turn into a eveil crook like the rest of the team there.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel if you can.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
GTAW, General Manager at Hotel Golden Tulip Amsterdam West, responded to this review, May 24, 2014
Unfortunately I cannot look up in which room or period you stayed just knowing your Tripadvisor name. In our logbook, I also do not find any remarks about guests complaining about staff entering the room. Reading your review I think the Housekeeping supervisor entered your room just after you checked in. On her list it still had to be finally checked but the reception gave you the room already. A communication mistake, I agree.
Upon check in, but also in the room guestinformation and on our website you can find te check out times as well as the surcharge for every hour you would like to stay longer.
We are sorry you did not like your stay with us as I believe most of the irritations written in your review could have been solved on the spot.
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

Equip Nespresso, near public transportation to Dams Square, we can buy transport card in front office, breakfast very rich a Lot of variety.....but be carefull!!!! Watch your bag Claude a thief can come inside restaurant Whit out any secure.........

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Golden Tulip Amsterdam West? Share your experiences!