“Great hotel, a little out of the way” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Golden Tulip Amsterdam West
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Molenwerf 1, 1014 AG Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #31 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great hotel, a little out of the way”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

On booking this hotel, I knew it wasn't in the heart of Amsterdam. In saying this, as a younger couple we would have loved to stay later in town but due to the last tram being around midnight thought better of it. The hotel itself is great though, massive modern rooms, excellent staff.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

I have stayed in quite a few hotels but have never seen Hotel staff so rude and unhelpful. Some of the incidents which really pissed me off are.

1. Hotel room service: I had just checked in and put on "DO NOT DISTURB" sign on the room, thinking no one would disturb I was having some romantic time with my wife. And the disaster strikes - the room service manager just open the door without knocking or ringing the door bell.!! (Yes they have a electronic door bell as well). This situation put us in a very embarrassing position and in fact made me instantly hate the hotel and the staff!!!! And the worst experience I had ever.
When I asked the room service manager why did she not knock, her reply was something on the lines of "Oh i thought we had left it on after cleaning the room" which didn't make any sense at all.

2. Check-out: We went out in the morning to visit the Tupil garden and on return we returned around 12:45. (We thought that checkout time was 14:00). No one told us, the checkout time was 12:00. On our return, we could't open the room (it was locked). When I went to reception to inquire, there was a old lady with really horrible attitude, I was told that they locked us out and now I have to pay extra 10 Euro (fine of 10 Euro per hours) for not checking out late. I found this very bad as well.

3. Buying food: We were heading to a road trip next day and bought some food from local Lidil. On our return journey reception staff commenting that "You are staying here for just one day, why do you need all this food." it was none of their business. Which made me really frustrated with the staff.

4. Bathroom: the drain on the bathroom was all left open ( I guess they just did some cleaning and forgot to put everything back in place)

One a good note: they have a very friendly female working on the tourist information desk. I forgot her name though!. I needed some help with my travel plan in Amsterdam and she spent her time helping me as much as she could. So well done her. I suggest she should get out of that place and find a nice job somewhere else, or she will turn into a eveil crook like the rest of the team there.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel if you can.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
GTAW, General Manager at Hotel Golden Tulip Amsterdam West, responded to this review, May 24, 2014
Unfortunately I cannot look up in which room or period you stayed just knowing your Tripadvisor name. In our logbook, I also do not find any remarks about guests complaining about staff entering the room. Reading your review I think the Housekeeping supervisor entered your room just after you checked in. On her list it still had to be finally checked but the reception gave you the room already. A communication mistake, I agree.
Upon check in, but also in the room guestinformation and on our website you can find te check out times as well as the surcharge for every hour you would like to stay longer.
We are sorry you did not like your stay with us as I believe most of the irritations written in your review could have been solved on the spot.
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

Equip Nespresso, near public transportation to Dams Square, we can buy transport card in front office, breakfast very rich a Lot of variety.....but be carefull!!!! Watch your bag Claude a thief can come inside restaurant Whit out any secure.........

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

We were not sure about our booking because the Golden Tulip West is not in the center of the city. After being in the center of the city, we were so happy. Our stay was SO MUCH better because of this!! It was a quiet, lovely property. A lovely new Chinese restaurant was across the street, the tram was a short walk, and the buffet breakfast and dinner at the Golden Tulip was unparalleled for the price. Think of the best buffets in Las Vegas and you have the idea. The amount of choices was incredible and fresh squeezed OJ for breakfast was a hit with our group. Transportation is easy with the train or tram. Stay at the Golden Tulip West and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

The hotel is not located in the city but is just a 20minute tram ride away, with the tram stop under 5 minutes walk from the hotel. Very convenient if you plan to also rent a car to explore other parts of the country (parking charges are euro15 per day). Rooms are well equipped and clean, large room (we stayed in a 4 bedded room) and comfortable beds. Staff are very friendly too. Don't bother driving into the city... Road are small and lots of cyclists. Just take the tram. A day ticket can be bought at the reception. There's a supermarket nearby (Lidl, near the tram stop) which makes it very convenient to get supplies.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I planned our trip at the last minute and wanted to stay somewhere in town with a canal view but I couldn't find a room there so found the Golden Tulip. I think it all worked out for the best though, as I believe this hotel is in a much quieter part of town. The room was spacious, comfortable, and clean. When we arrived, we were thirsty and attempted to buy 2 coca colas from the mini bar. It's unique in that it looks like a mini vending machine, operates by buttons. Ours wouldn't work so I called the front desk and we were promptly brought 2 bottles of coke with glasses and ice. Our room was situated just next to a stairwell and the door to the stairs would slam rather loudly anytime it was closed, but it only bugged me a little the first night. I didn't hear it the next 2 nights. If you will be taking public transportation, you can buy a card to use at the front desk. We did this the first day and forgot to the 2nd day and it was kind of a hassle to buy at the train station. They are sold at the money exchange office and there was a long line of people with only one person behind the counter. It was much quicker and easier at the hotel so pick it up there before you head out in the morning. We bought cards that were good for 24 hours but I think you can buy cards that are good for more than 1 day.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

We booked thru easy jet holidays so we got to have the breakfast buffet included which was really good and the same restaurant runs a dinner buffet which was even better we had to set there again. The price for the buffet is worth it comparing to what you'll get for the same price in the town .so I highly recommend to have dinner here at least once and it's international menu in a lovely set up. About the room, I almost forgot because of the restaurant, it's 4 star as it's classified. They have newly refurbished rooms and amenities so all very pretty with large bathroom that is for heated with rainfall style shower. Best bit for me? The espresso machine. I really loved using it. It's also very accessible from the airport and to the town itself. From the airport, follow the hotel's instruction or else you will pay more. It's train then tram. Very near airport and city itself. Staff are very helpful too.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Golden Tulip Amsterdam West? Share your experiences!