“Road tripper” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Standish, United Kingdom
“Road tripper”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Stayed one night, got it on a deal, room and bathroom first class absolutely spotless. Staff pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was 15eu a bit pricey but you'll want for nothing .parking was 15eu per night and pint of Heineken in the bar was an eye watering 5.50 eu not sure I'd stay again as getting to the city centre is a bit off a chore and its 15 eu in a cab back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Farnham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Spent 3 nights here in August, as a base for visiting the city. Arrived at 9.30am after very early flights, and were able to have breakfast and then check-in at 10am, which was a great bonus. Decor is lovely, rooms were very comfortable, staff were friendly and helpful, and breakfast was good with lots of choice. Would be happy to recommend to anyone. We used info from other reviews regarding trams and trains to navigate our way around from here into the city, and were quite glad to be able to get back to this quieter part of town after the crowds around the Dam.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I stayed here with my parents from 6th September for almost a week.
Staff: The booking terms clearly mentioned that a deposit was not required. The reception staff was very rude/insulting with my father and made him pay a deposit. Some reception staff do not understand English. Housekeeping staff was very helpful.
Facilities: My mom fell at Amsterdam Airport after which she was confined to a wheelchair for the entire trip. The hotel does not have a wheelchair, does not have adequate first aid supplies. They don't know where the nearest doctor is. They gave us an address for a wheelchair rental which was more than 45 minutes away and quoted the daily rental which was 6 times more than what we finally got a wheelchair for. We had to run around the city looking for a wheelchair, pharmacy and doctor.
Location: It will take you 30-45 minutes to get to Central Amsterdam in a Tram. You will have to change 2 Trams to get there or walk to the nearest station (around 10 minutes away) and then take a train.
Room service: Slow. A bottle of water took more than half hour to arrive.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Hotel M, General Manager at Hotel Golden Tulip Amsterdam West, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thank you for your review and I hope your mother is doing well now after her fall on the airport. The fact that we do not have wheelchairs is because we are not a suitable hotel for disabled people. However we do have a "hotel" docter. It is a local doctor who will come to the hotel when we call him. All together I am sorry that your stay was not what you expected of it.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

My family and I stayed at this hotel for just 2 nights, but it was so great! It was in close proximity to the Schipol airport so getting there was a breeze. When we arrived at the hotel the exterior was not all that welcoming. I believe they should change the colour of the hotel to a nicer colour. However, when we got inside it was like we entered a different world. The lobby was beautiful and there was adequate staff available for check-in. We were asked about breakfast during check-in ad paid it in our bill. One very great thing to note is that the staff's English was excellent!

Upon entering our room we realized just how massive the room was, as well as modern because it is a new hotel. The room was beautifully decorated and very quiet! The bathroom was also very great! The room had great storage and lots of lighting and there were a variety of TV channels available. I'm not even going to begin speaking about those heavenly beds!

When we got to dinner in the DREAM restaurant we were surprised at just how much food was there. There were all kinds of stations and the sushi seemed good! They got me at the chocolate fountain near the entrance with all kinds of dippers! Breakfast had a very great selection as well. I think I remember seeing as many as 8 different types of cereal as well as fresh fruits. There was milk, chocolate milk, pink grapefruit juice, apple juice, orange juice, fruit punch, coffee and so much more!

Great stay here! Do yourself a favour and check in here!

Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We had an excellent experience with this Hotel in Amsterdam. It had a very friendly service. The rooms are beautifully decorated. The breakfast is good. The parking is fairly priced at 15 EUR per day. There is a Nespresso Machine in every room, which is lovely.
The only con could be the location. One needs to take the tram or get a Taxi to visit the center, but it did not bother me much.

Funchal, Madeira
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay in this hotel. Even though it's not located in the centre of Amsterdam, it's conveniently placed near a tram stop (which will get you there in 10-15mins) and it's also really close to the Sloterdijk Station (good when your coming from/going to the airport). Btw, there's a Lidel supermarket close by (2 mins walk) and there are some restaurants (not many, though) in the vicinities.
The room was clean, comfortable and spacious. Great bathroom. The staff were really, really friendly and corteous and they've help us solve the only problem we had during arrival: getting the safe to work correctly (btw, the safe is free!). Besides that, they were always available to help up us with some tips. The hotel wifi was really good and it worked everywhere (good coverage in our room). There are also a couple of computers and a printer (really important for printing your boarding pas, for instance) on the lobby.
The room's TV was ok and there was also a nespresso coffee machine and some complimentary coffee capsules (which the hotel replaces every day).
Overall, the experience was great and I'll be staying here again if/when I return to Amsterdam.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I'll start with the good parts of the hotel.

1 - It is relatively easy to get to by car, being located not far from the ring road, and they do have on-site parking which isn't ridiculously overpriced.

2 - getting around without a car is also quite easy, as it is located a very short walk from a tram-stop that will take you in to the centre of Amsterdam, or Sloterdjik train station if you want to travel further afield. The hotel will also hire a bicycle to you for (I think) 12 euros per day, but you there is a 50 euro deposit required (not mentioned until went to hire). The deposit is, of course, refunded when the bicycle is returned.

3 - the breakfast is well worth paying the extra funds for. At 15 euros per adult, it makes for a very convenient way to start your day, and there are three coffee machines so you're not waiting for a staff member to notice your cup is empty to refill it for you.

The hotel boasts about having Nespresso machines in the rooms. Yes, there was a Nespresso machine in the room that we stayed in, however the machine is one that accepts the flatter, round disc-shaped coffee pods (which only have approximately 6 varieties available), and the box that held the coffee pods was for one of the machines that accepted the taller, oval shaped pods (that have over 12 varieties of coffee available). I wasn't impressed by this, as there was only one variety of coffee pod in the box - and I have a machine like this at work.
I don't think it's worth bragging about having a Nespresso machine if you're not going to give guests the options that the Nespresso range offers.

It is a large hotel, which can make checking in quite difficult if you arrive around the same time as two tour-bus loads of fellow tourists (as we did), however the staff are quite efficient and this was handled in a relatively short time frame.

I will say that the check in process was efficient, but I did miss having someone smile and be polite when it was our turn to check in. I understand that you are busy, but being rude and impolite to customers is not a way to win them over.

The restaurant closes at 10:00pm (2200hrs), and while we in the lobby at approximately 9:30pm (2130hrs), one of the staff members at the front desk informed another customer that they were too late to dine in the restaurant. No phone call, no checking with the restaurant, just they close at 10pm, and at 9:30pm this means you're too late. There is no room service after the restaurant closes.

While the hotel promises a mini-bar, the one in our room was an electronic mini-bar that did not work the whole time we were there. No complimentary bottle of water (plastic cups in the bathroom was the best we could find), no soft-drinks, no peanuts or pretzels, no wine or beer and no chocolates - nothing to eat or drink in our room at all.
Combine this on our first night at this hotel with:
A) The hotel being a little way from the centre of Amsterdam (nothing within walking distance that we could find to eat / drink at 10:00pm);
B) Unfriendly front desk staff (who advised that if we did want something to eat then we would be best to go in to the centre of town);
C) The restaurant being closed (and room service is not available after the restaurant closes);
D) Twice we had to return to reception to get a key that would actually allow us access to our room; and
E) That we had driven to Amsterdam from Berlin that day and did not arrive until after 9:00pm, well, it may be easy to see that we were not amused and our first impression was not a good one. I will grant that the last point is completely our doing, but my opinion is that hotels are supposed to be welcoming at the end of the day, not unfriendly.

The television did not work either the whole time we were there. I called the desk to ask how to use the television (assuming it was operator error) and was advised that "yes, we know. Someone is looking at in on your floor now. Try again in 10 - 15 minutes, if it doesn't work then call us back". After 45 minutes and still no television, I called again as suggested and was advised somewhat sarcastically "oh you're only the 40th or 50th person to tell me this. The technician says that it will be fixed tomorrow, so there will be no television tonight." Maybe I'm used to a token apology from staff on behalf of the hotel (I certainly appreciate there is nothing they can do), however I did not expect or appreciate sarcasm.

The next evening after we returned to our room the television still did not work. I called reception (again to ask how to turn the television on), and was told "there is no television in any of the hotel" before the staff member hung up.

Breakfast is a buffet-style with the usual hot foods (baked beans, scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon, mushrooms) as well as cereals, sliced meats and cheeses, breads and pastries, and there was a chef who was cooking omelettes (not to order, but at least they were fresh) to be put out with the other hot dishes. My partner asked if he could have a fried egg (these were out the day prior), and was told "I am sorry, but there are no fried eggs today". While my partner was making his toast, the chef sought him out with a fried egg on a plate and advised "I found an egg for you. Please don't tell anyone" - which made my partner's day. This was a wonderful touch and very much appreciated.

All in all, our stay in this hotel was average. I couldn't comfortably recommend a hotel that has such poor customer service, however the breakfast was very nice and if the attitude of staff improved then this would change my opinion.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Golden Tulip Amsterdam West? Share your experiences!