“Great value for money and 2 mins from tram stop” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Golden Tulip Amsterdam West
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Molenwerf 1, 1014 AG Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #34 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Birmingham, England
“Great value for money and 2 mins from tram stop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I am a seasoned traveller to Amsterdam this is my 8th trip and I have learned a few tips along the way. I used to pay over the odds to stay in central AMS which is still noisy if you are anywhere near a tram route. I now choose hotels slightly outside the centre to save costs. Golden Tulip is somewhere I chose from tripadvisor review and cost.

The location is Sloterdijk you can get a train to Sloterdijk in under 15 mins from Schiphol for €3.50 then the 12 tram or an 8 min walk will get you to the hotel we found it fairly easily. The hotel looks a bit grim from the outside very soviet looking but this belies what's inside. It's clean with boutique style rooms tea and coffee facilities. Everything looks new the bathroom had the big rain shower and was spotless.

The 12 tram is 2 mins walk and takes you right close to museums and Leidesplein in 10 -15 mins. The restaurant DREAM is very chic food looked lovely but we felt it expensive at €24 a head when you can get all the three course tourist meals in Town for €15 and a free drink! same goes for continental breakfast it's €7.50 for bog standard continental and if you walk for 5 mins along tram route there are loads of cafes that will do more choice for less.

Staff are very helpful and the bar is airy and modern and reasonably priced €3.75 for glass of wine. Good nights sleep and considering we were on the front which faces a main tram route surprisingly quiet. Rooms have air con as well which is a plus in the heat wave!

If your coming July August book Internet for Ann frank or museums it saves queueing or do what we did go late afternoon as some attractions stay open till ten. This hotel is great base with excellent facilities and I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Rooms are huge for 3 of us...with coffee maker facilities in the room as well. Rooms are clean and new. They also serves scrumptious breakfast buffet....especially with fresh orange juices provided.....feel so fresh in the morning...

Location is slightly far from town area, but getting a cab in the hotel is easy and is only took about 10 mins to red light district at nite..only get a cab thru the hotel to avoid having problems as safety more important....

We did have a pleasant stay in this hotel!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed for two nights we found the rooms well appointed we were checked in by Brian who was very informative and polite I fell I'll and the help he offered was a godsend the breakfast was vast and the public transport links to the city centre were very good and Brian's local knowledge very helpful we would stay again thank you

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I just left the hotel and it was very good place we did. Not far from the center just 2 stations.

Staff are very helpful & friendly. Breakfast has many selection for European but not for Asia :-)

I was worried that our room will be noisy since it faces to the main road, but there was no any single sound from outside I could hear.

The hotel offers very fast wifi which I love the most :-)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Great hotel, clean, comfortable bedding, great service and all at a really good price. Public transport is within a 2 minute walk and the center of town is only 10 minutes away. Overall a great stay. The only fault I could find was that if you have a hire car you have to pay 15 Euros per day parking. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a clean and comfortable hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

This was my first time in Amsterdam we had spent a week in another part of Holland and wanted to experience the City before returning home. I was travelling with my friend her 12yr old son and my 13yr old son. As we were due to fly out the next day we wanted something that was central and accessible to Schipol Airport and the City Centre, I had read the reviews on Trip[ Advisor before booking. I would like to add to other people's comments that the location of the hotel is fantastic, near enough to Sloterdijke train station (2 stops away) where we caught the train to Schipol 15 mins, The number 12 Tram was round the corner from the hotel which took us into town and linked with the 13.

The hotel was very clean and fresh only problem we had was trying to regulate the air conditioning, staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We didn't book breakfast as it was 15 Euro's each and we headed into town. No complaints if I was returning to Amsterdam I would definitely stay again

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

Really good quality hotel on edge of town but with tram links to centre of town or museums . Stayed in room with four beds great if traveling with kids. The fit out of the bedroom/bathroom is of high quality and is fresh and modern. Basement car parking is also a great asset. Breakfast buffet is massive, good start to the day. Free Wifi. Overall really good.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Golden Tulip Amsterdam West? Share your experiences!