“Very good but...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
New York City, New York
“Very good but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We are here since Sunday and we leave tomorrow (3 nights).
The hotel is brand new, the room is wonderful and the italian shower even more.
The breakfast buffet is very good and the staff at the buffet is very nice.
The tram station ( tram 12 or bus 64) is 2 minutes away which will bring you to Sloterdijk where you can get a train every 3 minutes to Amsterdam Centraal.( Sloterdidjk - Centraal = 5 minutes).

BUT the hotel is still in construction and you can hear loud work construction throughout the day. Not so good when you are tired and want to rest a little.

In addition, when we arrived, we had in the bathroom one shower cap and one body lotion. The next day, the mais didn't give new ones. When I came down to the réception, I was told that it was normal because to get a plastic shower cap and a small body lotion I had to pay my room 25% extra! Expensive cosmectics I would understant but here a plastic shower cap??

Then, in the room, we have a Nespresso machine which is very cool. We have a few samples but they do not give more coffee or tea the following days? I'm here on vacation, i'm not going to buy a pack of Nespresso coffee just to use the machine in my hotel room!

Finally, the check out is at 12. I asked if we could leave at 1pm, and I was told it will cost me 10 euros!The hotel is not full, especially during the week, I think it will help the customer experience to let them stay just for an hour more for free...

Don't get me wrong, this hotel is really nice, but only 3 stars here on tripadvisor because it could be better for the customer experience and the customer service.
I clearly think opening when the hotel is not finished yet was a big mistake.
And I'm saying this with the loud noises just aroud my room...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hotel M, General Manager at Hotel Golden Tulip Amsterdam West, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback. We will instruct staff better about the service we would like to give to our guests. Of course the rooms should have enough guestsupplies for 2 and coffee should be refilled every day and given for free if you come and ask reception. There are rules for late check out, but in this fase we should review every case and not be so strickt. Hopefully, if you come to Amsterdam again, you will choose us again, so we can show you we learn from our mistakes.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

My stay at this hotel was great. The staff were more than helpful and hospitable, the hotel itself was gorgeous, very clean and modern, only a 20mim tram journey from dam square/red light district, also very good value for money!!! Good wifi access in all rooms, coffee machine, full freeview tv, very comfy beds, wonderful blak out curtains and a fantastic shower!! Overall a brilliant hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
Bluesquare, General Manager at Hotel Golden Tulip Amsterdam West, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Thank you for being one of our first guest and being the first to leave a review. We hope to welcome you again in the future and make your stay even more memorable.

Been to Hotel Golden Tulip Amsterdam West? Share your experiences!