“Great location!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel Downtown

You added Grand Hotel Downtown to your Saves list
Grand Hotel Downtown
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1e Constantijn Huygenstraat 10A, 1054 BR Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Ranked #92 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reykjavík, Gullbringusysla, Iceland
“Great location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

I stayed at the grand hotel down town for a weekend and I really enjoyed my stay. The hotel is located not right in the center of everything but not to far away either, the neighbourhood is super nice and has a lot of great places to eat and hang out at. I think this might be one of the nicest neighbourhoods to stay in in Amsterdam since it is not to crowded and also has like a really nice atmosphere, I really enjoyed walking around and sitting down at a nice cafe.
The rooms are also clean and comfortable, not that any time is needed spending there for other than sleeping. The service was very nice and helpful if we had any questions. I would definitely stay here again if ever back in Amsterdam!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Inge M, Manager at Grand Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you for this amazing review! Great to know you have had a great stay with us. We would love to welcome you back when visiting Amsterdam again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

Lovely hotel, great price and easy to get to from the airport. The staff were lovely as well. It is a 15 minute journey by tram to dam centraal, but the trams don't run all night so you may need to take a cab/taxi. Nice and quiet area but be careful not to walk past the hotel as there isn't a distinctive sign outside.

• Stayed February 2014
Thank you for your review. We are happy to know you have had a great stay with us. We would love to welcome you back when visiting Amsterdam again!
Bad Homburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

The hotel is convienently located. 15min by foot and 5min by tram you can reach the city centre and the Museums Plein.

The rooms are clean. The service and customer care is outstanding.

There are bars, small restaurants and supermarkets close to the hotel.

The parking fee is with 25Eur/night a bit too expensive for my taste.

Room Tip: The rooms are all located on ground floor. So be sure you close the curtain ;-)
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Inge M, Manager at Grand Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you for taking time to write a review. We are happy to know you have had a great stay at Grand Hotel Downtown. Because the parkingspots we use are from the city of Amsterdam we have to charge €25.00 a night, but we will contact the city of Amsterdam to discuss this. We would love to welcome you back when visiting Amsterdam!
Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

So many things went wrong even before we arrive at the hotel. Firstly, we booked the room direct on their website as it states that there will be a 5% discount & a welcome souvenir when you book directly with them. We booked early about a month in advance at EU120 per night (advance purchase & no cancellation allowed offer - thinking to save more) but closer to my arrival date, I saw that the price became so much cheaper at EU76 per night for my room. They were selling the Penthouse at what I paid for - so I wrote to them complaining why are Early Bookers being penalised and asked for an upgrade to get the correct room at what I paid for. They refused and told me I have to top up EU45 for the upgrade when it is selling onliine at that moment only at EU128. Rather ridiculous!
- Worse was when I arrived a day earlier (I had only prepaid for 2 nights) so my earlier 3rd night was not booked/paid yet - they wanted to charge me EU100 per night for the same room but why should I pay more when they were selling the 2nd category Deluxe Room online CHEAPER at EU80 per night??? The blonde front desk girl told us "I can't see what rates it is selling at right now - I wouldn't know" - rather unprofessional and superbly silly thing to say. So we just loaded the page on booking.com on OUR mobile and showed them the price and told them "There we want this room". Luckily, there was a man (might be the manager) who was nearby came over and gave us the room at the online price we showed & had to teach her what to do/click.
- So that really got us annoyed already at the hotel management who does not reward customers who book direct on their site, and further wanting to charge us more instead. Really terrible customer service!

On our first night so many things went wrong:
1) I found there was a hole in my bed sheet in between the 2 pillows (shocking that housekeeping still did not bother to replace it when they changed the sheets)
2) I found floating bits in my cup of boiled water and realised it came from their kettle, which was very dirty, contaminated with gross bits in the kettle (shocking that they don't clean or check their kettles/cups) - their kettle spouts are all rusty as well - rather unhygienic!
3) Stains on one of their bathrobes (I forgot to take a photo of this)
- the photos were taken at night with my mobile so apologies if they are not too clear. They should really replace the kettles with clean & non-rusting ones.

No matter, the next day whenever we leave the hotel to go out for the day in the morning, we are always met with the blonde front desk girl who does not smile or greet you and gives you a rather cold & unwelcoming vibe (I don't know why she is in hospitality). You feel like you are invading her space and bothering her with your queries. However, I have to give credit to one of their staff who works in the evening called Shima, who was a delight and warm and helpful whenever we see her at the desk in the evenings (she was their best front desk staff) - thank goodness for her.

The rooms on the ground floor windows face a back courtyard to some school behind I think - the public can walk and look into your room if you don't draw the curtains & they can easily break the window to break into your room - so not much privacy for rooms on the ground floor.
At the price we paid, you can get a more central hotel closer to the Ledseplein tram stops (less of a walk than the hotel) and nicer. citizenM in Museumplen will be a better choice in this case with no conning you of prices & less issues with rooms, where you won't feel cheated & will get what you really paid for or more.

Room Tip: Don't get the ground floor rooms that have windows facing the courtyard/back road if you want pr...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Inge M, Manager at Grand Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you for writing the review. I am really sorry to hear that we could not exceed your expectations.

Our staff is trained to approach our guests in a friendly and welcoming way. As you can see in other reviews we receive lots of compliments about our staff so I am really shocked about this review. I have discussed this with the entire team and attended them that the service is really important. It is absolutely not our intention to give our guests an uncomfortable feeling so we definitely will pay extra attention and training.

I would also like to inform you that we have cleaned all our kettles, and ask the housekeeping to have a look at this, as well as the sheets. When having any problems please call the reception so we can provide you with new sheets or help you to solve the problem.

I understood from the email correspondence that you requested a free upgrade to compensate the rate difference. However, we work with a revenue management which means that our rates are fluctuating depending on availability, events etc. Therefore we offer non-refundable rates and free cancellation rates, so our guests could choose between a discount or the possibility to cancel free of charge until 48 ours upon arrival. You'd booked a non-refundable rate so were not able to cancel free of charge and received a discount. As you may understand we can not give free upgrade based on these offers.

You are more than welcome to contact us to tell us more about your experience.
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

Booked this hotel based on TA reviews. The reviews were right on. Rooms are small but no need to spend a lot of time in there. The rooms were clean the staff was helpful. The shower drain was slow so the bathroom got a little flooded.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Inge M, Manager at Grand Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Thank you for your honest review. Your feedback about the shower is taken into account. We already checked all the drains a while a go, so we fixed the problem. Love to welcome you back.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Me and Sarah had a few days we could get away and we wanted somewhere different so Amsterdam it was!
We wanted a hotel with parking and close to town and not too expensive and we ended up seeing this bad boy of a hotel!
So we left for our destination......it is a pig to find! like seriously! if you go over the bridge youve gone to far! Car park was a bit confusing had to park up go inside get the key, go down the car park then back up cross the court yard into the hotel! Sounds worse than it really is!

The reception area was lovely with free mints....YAY!! Very good staff and knew the area well and gave us an awesome map which ended up being our bible!

The room was lovely and large, with a lovely bed, lovely bathroom, heated floor. Great place to be honest!

Dont listen to people saying about the walk to the town centre, lovely little stroll which allows you to see some of the shops and where you can grab brekkie lunch and dinner! The post place opposite the hotel but a little bit further down.......scrambled egg was just orgasmic!! breif discription i know but your know when you see it!

Check out was painless, car park was a little expensive if im really honest but in a city like that......worth every penny!

Room Tip: Keep a seperate budget for the car park charge. Also the bed was great for a 15 hour kip after me an...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind words and review. We are really pleased to read that you enjoyed Amsterdam and your stay in our hotel. We would love to welcome you back , and luckely you know were we are situated now ;-)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

I took my boyfriend to Amsterdam for his birthday during may and was highly disappointed in this hotel. To start with, we'd just come back from greece where we stayed in a 5 star hotel, so we were expecting similar luxuries, staff behaviour etc. When we arrived the staff member that greeted us was indeed polite, but seemed really uninterested in us or our stay and this was the same with all the staff. They also didnt wear proper uniform which I found to be unprofessional. In this so called 4 star hotel, my fridge was EMPTY, and we later found that we had to pay to stock the fridge, which to me is extremely backwards!!! Anyone else used to paying for what they actually take from their mini bar????? Breakfast is 15 euro extra, but should be included as this hotel is overpriced with tiny rooms. So im already pissed that ive paid virtually 5star prices for what should be a 2 star 3 at a push! !! And then we find that the hotel is 2 doors down from a psychiatric unit!! Now I could probably get past everything, as my complaints are subjective, (apart from the price), you might even say theres nothing particularly wrong with this hotel....... but to be fair, theres nothing particularly right about it, and that for me, was a problem.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry that we could not exceed your expectations. First of all I would like to inform you that we have uniforms since last week. We already ordered them a long time ago, but they are hand-made so it took a while. Please check out our facebook page so you can see the uniforms (there's a picture).
In the minibar you will find two bottles of water complimentary upon arrival. For other items you have to pay which is really standard in hotels. Therefor we offer a minibar package for a fixed rate for only €15,00 and it includes drinks and snacks. You can always call our front office to provide you a package.
The breakfast is indeed €15,50 per person upon arrival. I would like to advise you to pre-book it and you will receive a discount. Pre-booked breakfast is €12,50 and then you are able to include it in the rate. The sizes of the room are according Dutch guidelines, but if you prefer a bigger room you can always book a penthouse. This room is bigger and also includes a private terrace. You can find al the measurements on every website (square meters).
The hotel is a 4 star hotel, so please don't mix it up with a 5 star hotel. The location is in Oud-West, which is an upcoming area. The psychiatric you mention in your review is a few doors away and we never had problems with clients or anyone.
Off course we will take your feedback into account and we appreciate your detailed feedback!

Been to Grand Hotel Downtown? Share your experiences!