So many things went wrong even before we arrive at the hotel. Firstly, we booked the room direct on their website as it states that there will be a 5% discount & a welcome souvenir when you book directly with them. We booked early about a month in advance at EU120 per night (advance purchase & no cancellation allowed offer - thinking to save more) but closer to my arrival date, I saw that the price became so much cheaper at EU76 per night for my room. They were selling the Penthouse at what I paid for - so I wrote to them complaining why are Early Bookers being penalised and asked for an upgrade to get the correct room at what I paid for. They refused and told me I have to top up EU45 for the upgrade when it is selling onliine at that moment only at EU128. Rather ridiculous!
- Worse was when I arrived a day earlier (I had only prepaid for 2 nights) so my earlier 3rd night was not booked/paid yet - they wanted to charge me EU100 per night for the same room but why should I pay more when they were selling the 2nd category Deluxe Room online CHEAPER at EU80 per night??? The blonde front desk girl told us "I can't see what rates it is selling at right now - I wouldn't know" - rather unprofessional and superbly silly thing to say. So we just loaded the page on booking.com on OUR mobile and showed them the price and told them "There we want this room". Luckily, there was a man (might be the manager) who was nearby came over and gave us the room at the online price we showed & had to teach her what to do/click.
- So that really got us annoyed already at the hotel management who does not reward customers who book direct on their site, and further wanting to charge us more instead. Really terrible customer service!
On our first night so many things went wrong:
1) I found there was a hole in my bed sheet in between the 2 pillows (shocking that housekeeping still did not bother to replace it when they changed the sheets)
2) I found floating bits in my cup of boiled water and realised it came from their kettle, which was very dirty, contaminated with gross bits in the kettle (shocking that they don't clean or check their kettles/cups) - their kettle spouts are all rusty as well - rather unhygienic!
3) Stains on one of their bathrobes (I forgot to take a photo of this)
- the photos were taken at night with my mobile so apologies if they are not too clear. They should really replace the kettles with clean & non-rusting ones.
No matter, the next day whenever we leave the hotel to go out for the day in the morning, we are always met with the blonde front desk girl who does not smile or greet you and gives you a rather cold & unwelcoming vibe (I don't know why she is in hospitality). You feel like you are invading her space and bothering her with your queries. However, I have to give credit to one of their staff who works in the evening called Shima, who was a delight and warm and helpful whenever we see her at the desk in the evenings (she was their best front desk staff) - thank goodness for her.
The rooms on the ground floor windows face a back courtyard to some school behind I think - the public can walk and look into your room if you don't draw the curtains & they can easily break the window to break into your room - so not much privacy for rooms on the ground floor.
At the price we paid, you can get a more central hotel closer to the Ledseplein tram stops (less of a walk than the hotel) and nicer. citizenM in Museumplen will be a better choice in this case with no conning you of prices & less issues with rooms, where you won't feel cheated & will get what you really paid for or more.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Agoda, EasyToBook, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Grand Hotel Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.