“Never stay here!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Overtoom 129-1, 1054 HE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Ranked #292 of 322 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
“Never stay here!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

This is not a bed and breakfast it is not a hostel it is not a hotel. I would rather sleep on the street.
The lady if you can call her that is rude unfriendly and unfortunately a racist. She kept referring to me as you people, what does that even mean? Honestly should be taken off tripadvisor.
Please do not stay here, this is run by someone who has never stayed in a hostel or bed and breakfast before. Save yourself the trouble and stay ANYWHERE else.

Room Tip: Do not stay here. There is nothing good about this dump
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

I'm from Amsterdam myself, and booked a room for someone I know. When we showed up, there was no one in the building, and nobody showed up either for at least fifteen minutes. The place was a mess, a renovation going on. When I called the booking agency, still no answer. We left for somewhere else and I claimed a refund at the agency. The agency got hold of the owner, I was told by the agency that the owner claimed that she had heard me call her 'black' and therefor denied the refund. Well, that is definitely not true, since I am black myself, and she never showed up. What a lying cheats, I'll block the credit card withdrawal.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

We were supposed to be travelling to Amsterdam for the wedding of some old friends - didn't realise it was the first "Kings day" celebration in decades! The city was booked out, but this place mysteriously had 2 rooms still vacant. In fairness, we booked the rooms knowing we could cancel within a wekk or 2 so I wasn't really worried ... until I read the reviews - not just from this site but from many sites! I cancelled. I do not want to spend E550 to spend the night on a poorly run, poorly cleaned, poorly staffed B&B with no Breakfast. Also, the fact that there are no smoke alarms/extinguishers and I am leaving my children behind with their granny (without reviewing the Will) was distinctly alarming... may give the wedding a miss and just send a big present!
I have rated this property average because I have not experienced it first hand.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Braintree, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Arrived to be met by a very shifty unfriendly lady who showed us to our room...first think that hit us was the stench of wet paint fumes! Extremely dangerous stairs led to what I can only describe as the worst room I have ever had the misfortune to stay in. She asked for cash and a 50 euro deposit for damage...not sure how you could make the room an worse! No reception , no breakfast, extremely noisy and you wont get your deposit back if she doesnt turn up to check you out, I had to call her to get her to come and give our deposit back.One tiny bathroom to share between all guests, no sign of smoke alarms ....do not stay here as cheaper MUCH nicer hotels available .

• Stayed March 2014
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

First of all i'll start with the positives about this "Bed & Breakfast":

Positives -
N/A

Negatives -
Everything

In more detail, the only 'average' aspect of the whole place is the area and even this is not good. It is about a 5 minute walk from Leidseplein Square on a main road (Overtoom). The problem with the location is that it is right above a kebab shop on the street of many kebab shops and feels a lot like a hideout. The other negatives would include:

- 'Bed and Breakfast' even though NO breakfast is available
- Unfriendly staff
- Creepy employee (only employee)
- No proper checkout time (see below)
- Tiny rooms
- Expensive
- Deadly staircase
- Noisy

Me and two other people were staying in this hovel for 2 nights over a weekend. When we arrived we were met by a creepy man who did not speak much English and made us wait at the bottom of the stairs for half an hour before taking us to our room. The stairs in this building are shocking. They are basically vertical and a fall from them would definitely do some damage. When we arrived at our room on the top floor we could only laugh at the size, 3 beds crammed into a room for one. One of the beds had a stain on the covers and the bed itself. The walls are very thin plasterboard which meant we could hear everything going on with people next door and also a communal toilet which is of a reasonably good standard for this place. When it came to our last day, we were not aware of a 'checkout' time but were told to call the creepy man so we could return the key and get our deposit back. Instead, we were woken up by the man coming into our room at 10am and telling us to get out, giving us 5 minutes to fully pack our belongings. He then proceeded to stand at the bottom of our bed til we were ready. It was a horrible experience of a hostel but luckily we were not in it very often. You can get some very good hotels for the money you would pay for this dump. Please do Amsterdam a favour and do not book here, unless you really don't like someone.

Room Tip: No room, don't book at all.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

First, let me start out by saying that it's a shame that TripAdvisor's scale runs from 1 to 5, because this wouldn't even rate a zero.
So why's it so bad? Pull up a chair--this make take some time. Right, are we sitting comfortably? OK--let me begin.

1) Fraud. It calls itself a bed and breakfast, yet offers no breakfast. In fact, the photographs they have used on websites that they have signed up to bear absolutely no resemblance to the premises whatsoever.

2) Filth. The room that I was shown had a dirty bare wooden floor; on that floor were two dirty, battered mattresses, each equipped with a rather grubby sheet. There was evidence of mice about as well. I have kept mice and know what their droppings look like, and, although I am not scared of them, I am in no overriding hurry to meet new murine friends to share my holiday with.

3) Fire Hazard - No evidence of fire extinguishers or any other preventative equipment. Coupled with the fact that the whole premises is accessed by a steep, wooden staircase, leads me to concluded that the place is an utter fire trap.

4) No reception - This means that you are forced to arrive and check out at predetermined times. On the other hand this does mean that you don't have to spend any time with the...

5) Rude staff/owners of the hotel - We had the misfortune to turn up early, having been awake for 36 hours to get to Amsterdam. We were left hanging around while the person who let us in seemed to haggle with the owner on the other end of the phone as to whether we should actually be let in or not--into a room for which we were about to pay EURO 700. My partner and I are gay, which at first led me to think that this was homophobic treatment, but having researched further since our misadventure, I now realise they are rude to everyone; other websites feature reviews from Latinos who think that they hate them. Please don't worry my Hispanic friends--they just hate EVERYONE! It looked like the sort of place where you take a prostitute somewhere for an hour (no-it looked worse than that! The bed looked less comfortable...) and I thought that may be the reason for the reception that wasn't so much frosty as downright artic; it made me feel VERY uncomfortable and somewhat sullied to say the least.

6) Exhorbitant prices and ridiculous terms of payment - They demanded FULL PAYMENT - UP FRONT -- P L U S -- a 50 Euro deposit. Why, for heavens sake, are you asking for a deposit, when you are paying UP FRONT!! You already have all my money! Plus, coupled with the fact that you have no reception, means that, unless you are prepared to get up and get to the aforementioned dump by 5.30am, when I need to check out on my final day, I will not get it back.

There's no towels or furniture, nor curtains, nor reading lamp. Just a whole load of filth and attitude. Apparently the British don't know how to complain but if you come here you will get the hang of it quickly enough, believe me! After having a 'discussion' with the owner on the mobile of the person who let me in, she was left in no doubt of my opinion of the place. To be utterly fair, I didn't get to look at the bathroom, which all other sources lead me to believe is shared between at least six other rooms, but if it was half as bad as some of the other reviews I have since seen and as bad as the bedroom I DID see, you would be lucky if you didn't run the risk of a bout of cholera. We run as fast as possible away from this place without parting with any cash before I had the misfortune of staying there a second longer.

I can't think of any other way of putting it without swearing but NEVER GO TO THIS HOLE. Snorkling in Amsterdam's sewage outlet would be preferable to staying here.

• Stayed October 2012
Newcastle, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

%x Friends arrive into Amsterdam to spend 3 days. Having been bounced from a couple of hotels because of over booking and the Holland vs Turkey match, ebooking place us at this hotel. And that's when it all went down hill. 5 of us staying in 2 rooms were charged 1000 euro's for two nights. No curtains in the rooms, no hot water, a bathroom to be shared between 6x rooms and no tea, coffee - literally a mattress thrown in a room.

I would expect this to be a kind of halfway house if you get out of jail before going onto civvy street.

Seriously avid - what an awful place, I wish my language could be stronger to describe. DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL - ITS NOT A HOTEL, MORE LIKE A HOMELESS SHELTER

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends