“AWFUL!!!!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #116 of 189 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Wrexham, United Kingdom
“AWFUL!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I stayed here with 6 friends from 4-7th October. We arrived at 9.30pm, where we were told our room had been sold to someone else and that we had nowhere else to stay.
They did not bother telling us that we had to check in before 9pm so obviously we were unaware.
So for the first night we were completely homeless with no where to stay. we were told by the Amigo hostel that if we were to stay out all night we could have a room for 7 tomorrow. 3 hours later this had change to a room for 6.
As we were homeless we accepted. After staying out all night with only 30 minutes sleep, we then asked at 9am the next morning, if our room was ready like they said it would be. At 11.30am we were told they had no room for us and they sent us to another hostel.

But for some reason they 'couldn't refund our deposit' or any of the money we had already paid. TYPICAL.

I would 100% warn any body off this hostel, you will get messed around and end up homeless!
NEVER AGAIN!

Room Tip: Stay at Ooster Park hostel - it had surprisingly large rooms and comfortable beds!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Polish first
Grenoble, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

On a busy WE while most regular hotels were full when I wanted to book my stay, I found this place based on Trip Advisor ranking. I was neither disapointed neither impressed. I found the daily rates were fair although very different if weekdays (12 euro) or WE (as much as 50 euro in my case). There isn't much room anywhere (but this is true for most places in Amsterdam), narrow corridors, steep stairs, small rooms, toilets and showers very very tiny! If you are claustrophobic, better not go there. The good thing about this place is it is really clean (it was when I stayed there). Floor, bed sheets, showers (I tried several) were clean. Staff is OK, not very friendly but not unfriendly either. It is a bit remote and not much to do in the area, but the tradeoff is it is rather quiet outside. And the tram or train station is by short walking distance, so easy to get to the main tourist places. Quite a lot of French people go there (it seems to have better ranking with French guys). All in all, not such a bad place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
St. Petersburg, Russia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

It's situated quite far from the city centre. There is only one toilet and shower for every 30 people.

I left a lunchbox and a towel on my bed, and they disappeared. I suppose, the cleaner took my stuff away, but the staff didn't help me to find it.

Moreover, nothing is for free in the hostel, you will pay even for a cup of hot water. There is no kitchen.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Prague, Czech Republic
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I have seen hostels in London, Rome, Milano, Prague and Munich but this one was the worst what i have seen. One shower and one toilet for 50 person! Every morning and every night you had to wait ONE hour for free place in shower! Unkindly and unfriendly staff. When I paid my reservation by card they added me 5% for paying by card.... what a mess?! The stairs to the hostel are very steep and dangerous. There is free wifi but we didnt catch it in our room. Never more this hostel.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Somewhere
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I often travel alone for business trip or a week-end, discovering a city by walking in the neighbourhood. I'm not picky regarding cheap hostel as I know what I'm expecting for. This time I had a few point that surprised me:
• the location: okay as it was near a place I needed to be, however there are quite a lot of public transport so it shouldn't really matter regarding what you want to do in Amsterdam.
• the price: usually in Europe you paid what you see on the build... beware you have to add 5% for tourist price (after asking someone in the Netherlands that's what was about)
• the limit of age: I don't particularly remember, however there is indeed a limit of age of 40, so forget about family trip or something else with a senior member.
• the modalities of payment: you pay cash or you add 5% more (again) if you pay by visa. Fortunately there is an atm machine in walking distance, but still it's frustrating.
• the environment: honestly I'm not a smoker, and I'm not easily bothered by it, however it was too much. I couldn't stand the amount of smoke (cigarets and more) that was in the lobby. The stairs to get there are very steep and very narrow, therefore I won't advise it for all the people that have problem with their knees.
• the room: I was staying in a dorm, the space provided was filled with bed with hardly any space to move
• the bathroom: well usually clean, yet sometimes in the morning you could enter it and find the place flooded with water that didn't drain, or you could smell the puke of people that didn't flush the toilet. I would rather advise to take a shower in the night rather than the morning as the people tend to go partying, so you have a proper bathroom to be with.
• the staff: my rating here is really mitigated. When I arrived, I was welcome in a rude manner, that if it wasn't for the location I would have walked off. Nonetheless, when the staff changed, it was really friendly and not bothersome.
• Internet: bring your own laptop if you have one, however their connection doesn't go past the first floor, so you end up squatting the lobby. They provide also two computers with access to internet if you don't own one.

Anyhow, if you still want to get there, you know what kind of environment you might end up with. I don't advise for anyone who want to stay more than 1 night.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Warrington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I visited here with 7 other people, and paid only €21 each ... We had a private 8 bed room which was basic but clean, the staff were friendly and very helpful when we needed them. The only down fall would be the steps you have to climb up to get inside but it's a small price to pay for a bargain nice stay. Tram stop outside with trams to the square every 10 mins or so.

Room Tip: On the first floor as there are more steep steps up to the other levels
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I recently stayed at Amigo Hostel for two weeks. Nice location, not far from central, tram 9 takes you there in 10 minutes and stops right outside the hostel, as does the night bus number 357. The rooms are safe and clean, hot showers and free internet. There are plenty of shops, cafes, supermarkets, coffee shops etc near by. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The hostel has a fun, chilled atmosphere, ideal for young people. I really enjoyed my stay here and will definitely be returning in the future. Thanks guys, see yous again soon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to Amigo Budget Hostel? Share your experiences!