“The Pinnacle of Luxury” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Breitner House

Save Saved
You added Breitner House to your Saves list
Breitner House
5.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Oosterpark 87-88, 1092 AW Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #4 of 305 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Brussels, Belgium
“The Pinnacle of Luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Together with my wife I have spent three nights in the George Breitner suite on honeymoon. We felt like a King and Queen in this beautiful decorated room. It actually looked even better in real life than on the pictures of the website. Guido en Camilla are very nice people and where very kind and helpful, they showed us around in Amsterdam and we talked a lot about the Dutch film industry. Overall it was a great experience staying here and we deeply recommend spending a night or more here!

109 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I doubt you will have ever had an experience like the one you get at Breitner House, from the warm welcome to the luxurious surrounding, art and antiques, it's a feast for the eyes and the sole. My husband and I stayed in both suites and both were fabulous. I particularly liked the 'George Breitner' suite with the dramatic gold walls and huge painted iris's , beautiful fire place, the luxurious damask fabrics and a sofa big enough for 2. I had to force myself to leave the building to see Amsterdam.
As for the breakfast I have NEVER in my life had anything like it, take your time as there is often 4 or 5 courses and as a vegetarian I was really well catered for. Beautiful fruit, savoury pastries, sweet pancakes, cheese, fresh breads and ah.....bubbles. Guido puts on the most opulent spread.
There's no need to take a guide book as your hosts will fill you in on all the best places to go and if you want to take in a show just let them know and they will do there best to accommodate you.
Camilla and Guido really are the most fabulous hosts and we left feeling total revived and utterly spoilt.

Room Tip: Isaac Israels - crisp sophisticated, soothing neutrals and blacks double doors lead out onto a garde...
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Wow! Oh Wow!

We just returned from a two day stay at Breitner House and could not fault it in any way. Everything was perfect. First of all we arrived very early (way before check in time) and the lovely hosts offered us hot drinks, proseco and the most delicious pastry I have ever eaten in my life (home made) and welcomed us warmly with entertaining conversation and city tips and advice.

Then when we came to our Israels suite it was just gorgeous. Classic tasteful decor, attention to detail +++, with candles everywhere, romantic light fixtures, a fire place, a sitting area with a big bold coffee table, wine, chocolates, snacks, and fruits and bottled Hildon water adorned the room.

The bed was very soft and comfy, with a soft white duvet, and had a sweet white sheer curtain and canopy and I felt just like some kind of spoiled European aristocrat! Next to the bed there are huge floor to ceiling windows and a door leading out to the romantic garden outside. Even though it rained most of the time during out stay; we used the garden to get air and have a smoke so it was very nice to have that private space.The bathroom had big windows opening up to the beautiful garden below and had a rain shower and modern his and hers sinks, lots of space to put your things and move around comfortably. Although you feel you have entered another century in this wonderful suite, it is fully equipped with all mod cons - flat screen TV with loads of channels and radio access, nespresso machine, tea kettle, mini bar fridge , highly functioning thermostat, electric fire place, light dimmers, etc. We heard no noise from the street/ other part of the building and felt completely at ease.

Then, there is the breakfast! What a delight! Fruit, cheese, eggs, cake, pastries, freshly squeezed blood orange, hot drinks, proseco, whatever your heart desires and then some more! Guido is a master chef and prepares excellent food of michelin star quality/ presentation as if its no trouble at all. I really never had a breakfast like this before and probably never will again (until the next time we return!).

The warm hearts and hospitality of Guido and Camilla will really make a lasting impression on you, nothing is too much trouble and they value and take pride in treating guests with consideration and sensitivity. Guido kindly took us in his own car to the Okura hotel where I had left my pretty umbrella the night before in the restaurant there, and waited so patiently while my husband searched for the umbrella for about 30 minutes. He also prepared a going away snack for us (a fried cheese pastry served with mustard - sooo yummy) just before we left for the airport (long after we had checked out). I was also touched by the fact that they asked for feedback at the end of our stay, which shows how seriously they take on board guest preferences and guest comfort.

My husband and I had to agree that although we had not planned for this to be a second honeymoon, it turned out to be a honeymoon indeed because this place will bring the romance out of you, it is so beautiful and sensual and engaging of all your senses. Love was certainly in the air there. Camilla and Guido have both worked in the arts throughout their lives and Breitner House is no exception, I am definitley going to be stealing some interior design ideas from them!

The tram stops just outside the House and so it is quite easy to get where ever you want to go from here.

Thank you again Camilla and Guido for everything!

Room Tip: There are two gorgeous suites, both equally beautiful so don't worry about where you stay! We st...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Bangor, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

My brother and his wife stayed here and absolutely raved about it, so I thought, I've never been to Amsterdam, so booked five nights. You know when you visit the website of a hotel and arrive and are slightly deflated that it doesn't appear to match up and is rather impersonal? Well, this place is the precise opposite.

From the moment we arrived, near midnight, due to a delayed flight, we were greeted by Camilla who took us in to the kitchen by the fire for some midnight snacks and wine; then in to the most opulent suite stocked with beautiful furniture with tremendous natural lighting to suit the painters who once occupied the House) to the glorious, death-defying feast of a breakfast served up by Guido each morning; we were blown away. My wife is vegetarian and the breakfast prepared for her each day was truly magnificent, just another example of the exceptional attention to detail and charm of the place and its hosts.

Such interesting, kind people in a magnificent historical house set a little outside the centre, which is perfect really, meaning you don't get the late night cacophony of the city. We followed Guido's suggestions of where to go, and what to do, mixed in with some of our own ideas, and managed to see pretty much the whole city at a leisurely pace.

It is worth spending that little extra to come here, you will truly be glad you did.

Orange, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

We have never had a better lodging experience. Our suite was huge, beautifully decorated and stocked with wine, snacks, juices, a luxurious comfortable bed and fresh flowers. Guido and Camilla are the best hosts imaginable, Dutch hospitality at its finest. The breakfast alone is worth the nightly rate, the Breitner House is a bargain in so many ways.

The location is on a fairly busy street across from the Oosterpark, but it is quiet. There is a tram stop next to the house, you're only about 10 minutes from the Rijks Museum area.

One caveat: If you have any mobility issues, the upstairs suite is not the place for you. Steep, tiny stairs and several steps up and down into your bathroom.

We stayed only two nights, I wish it had been at least four! You can't go wrong when you see 50+ reviews! all with 5 out of 5 ratings. Enjoy!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

It has been 5 days since my experience with Breitner House regrettably concluded. This B& B owned by Guido and Camilla would have to be the best away from home stay I have ever had and I have travelled many times. If Prince Philip had the opportunity to stay there, I am sure when he got back to the palace he would sell the corgies, list the home with Remax London and move over.
This B & B offered a wonderful breakfast, luxurious room and fillings, close to all Amsterdam highlights, and if that was not enough It came with the support and care of the owners.
I would recommend this residence absolutely.
In conclusion I would like to thank Guido & Camilla for assisting my wife locate deceased relatives in The Hague. . A very special thank you regards Greg

Room Tip: Sorry, no pool. For the mature couple who enjoy refinement,
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Swampscott, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Breitner House ranks beyond our wildest imaginings. We had thought perhaps the reviews here were exaggerated. However, words cannot capture the ambiance, decor, drama and hospitality created by Camilla and Guido, two supremely talented, warm, interesting people. Frankly, I was hooked on their website by the offer of a formal, opulent breakfast. Well, who could have predicted prosciutto and melon, salmon en croute, quail eggs, and poffertjies - those scrumptious tiny Dutch pancakes drenched in powdered sugar - plus breads and cheeses, and meats amidst a profusion of fruits and flowers straight out of a painting from the Golden Age of Holland? Did I not mention the supreme comfort of out ground floor suite? (I would have liked to have carted the mattress home with me!) And the great effort Guido made, providing a perfect breakfast at 6am on our departure? Breitner House is FIND! Don't tell too many people.....

Room Tip: The ground floor suite has access through Camilla's shop during business hours, thus avoiding ca...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Breitner House? Share your experiences!