“My Worst Hotel Experience” 1 of 5 stars

You added Hotel Ajax to your Saves list
Hotel Ajax
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rokin 104, 1012 KZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #265 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Rostock
“My Worst Hotel Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I stayed at this hotel a year ago, and thank God only for 1 night! The pictures on the website are misleading. They are far far away from reality. I had a room on the 1st floor with a view of a brick wall and the room was so dark, dirty and dusty. I didn't wanna sleep on the bed sheet, didn't use the blanket either. Who knows when they washed it! The bathroom was so small and I could not even freely move in it. I didnt plan earlier to go to Amsterdam and all the other hotels were fully booked. Therefore it was my last choice, with price €120/night.
The staff seemed so unorganized, because at first she took us to a room where it looked occupied by someone because there were bags on the floor and shirts on the bed. She was confused so she checked again then finally she gave us our room which looked just as terrible as the occupied one.
My tip: Prepare earlier to book hotels in Amsterdam and do not choose this hotel. It is like a fraud: two stars hotel but looks like a half star hotel with price just as three stars hotel.

• Stayed September 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed here a few times now and can't fault the place.The rooms are basic but warm and cosy,clean towels every day,hot powerful shower and a flat screen TV with a few English-speaking channels.Breakfast is continental with loads of choice.There is always a member is staff working and you leave your key when going out,late at night the check your name against the room before handing out the key.The hotel is well placed to do any sightseeing with a tram stop outside the door,it's a 5min walk to dam square.Will use this hotel again the next time we return.x

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Galway, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Before going to Amsterdam, my boyfriend and I read all of the reviews on Trip Advisor and decided to give this hotel a shot with not expecting it to be anything more than a good place to sleep. We were overall pleased and realized that most of the negative reviews had a lot larger expectations for a place that was a reasonable price and 2 stars. I thought our room was clean, good sized and great for 4 days. It also had a working heater and a good view, which was worth the "steep stairs." I'd say if you have a hard time with stairs then request a room on the first floor but we didn't mind being upstairs. The only thing I didn't love was that we had booked a double room so we could sleep together (instead of a hostel) and our bed was two twin beds pushed together with a sheet over them so it was kind of annoying at night. But, breakfast was good, most of the staff were so friendly (better than our friend's hostel down the road), our room was cozy and good for sleeping and the location was great. Definitely worth the money and a consideration if you're looking for a good, warm and safe place to sleep for a few nights!

Room Tip: This might not be the place for you if you have a lot of luggage, don't do well with stairs or w...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
São Paulo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

On October 8, tryed to stay at your hotel, but had problems with the reservation.

The room was dirty and without maintance and bathroom was out of order.

Please, notice, we didn´t buy a 2 star hotel, waiting for 4 star service. But the complains were that the room was dirty, with power cord exposed, and at some point during the night the bethroom was out of order.

We accapet that you sell promotional rates that are non refundable, for cancelation and changes. But, in this case, the menimum service (clean and safe) was not offered by your hotel.

Didn´t refound neither the nights that he didn´t stay, neither the city tax, charged directly on the credit card.

Sended several email´s (over 10 in a month) and no answer at all.

Today I called the manager (tryed other times, but she was neved there), and the final response was: "That´s how we run business"

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I can see here many negative ratings of this hotel, but I must say that having some experience of Amsterdam and its hotels, I was quite happy with this one! The prices in Amsterdam are in general high, and if you book something in this price category, it normally is not so great. I was positively surprised by the super nice staff and the clean (though simple) rooms. The best of all is naturally the location! I will definitely consider this hotel again, on my next trip.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2014

Well, I guess everybody has their first worst hotel and we found ours in the beautiful setting of Amsterdam.
We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights. We did find it strange that we had to pay on arrival, and now we know why!!!!.
Our first night was spent in what we can only describe as a dark and dismal room (room 321). We understand that as this is old Amsterdam and the rooms can be small but this should not be sold as a double as there was no room to move. We had to put our suitcase on top of a fridge and small table just so we could walk part way around the bed. The room was grubby and outdated.
The following morning we asked to be moved to another room and was given the option to move to a triple room, 3 single beds at the cost of £120 Euros. Despite my husband having a bad knee there was no one available to help us down with our case (2 flights of stairs). This room was larger but still grubby. We found remnants of a previous occupant behind one of the beds, and one of the single beds had a sheet that didn't fit and kept sliding off a stained mattress. Our room was not cleaned and we had to ask for clean towels.
The breakfast room was actually a few tables situated in the grubby reception area. Breakfast was satisfactory although some of the cups we used had chips in them.
The plus points to this hotel are, the location is brilliant and the staff were friendly.
The minus points are, the hotel is outdated and in our opinion would be described more as a hostel. It is outdated, grubby and the photos on the website give a false impression of the state of the rooms and the breakfast area.. You are asked to leave your keys in at reception before you go out, which is a little odd.
In conclusion this place needs total refurbishment. We will return to Amsterdam as it is a wonderful city but never to this hotel!!!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Ajax? Share your experiences!