“Average hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of City Hotel Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added City Hotel Amsterdam to your Saves list
City Hotel Amsterdam
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prins Hendrikkade 130, 1011 AP Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Ranked #179 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Beirut, Lebanon
“Average hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I stayed in this hotel end of June 2013, clean not very far from centraal station and other attractions.
Poor breakfast, and somehow weird but maybe typical European staircases.
Staff were cool.
Neighbors were very noisy, make sure you ask them to slam the doors quietly as the doors are quite adjacent to each others in some sections of the hotel.

272 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

I was searching for a hotel on booking.com and came across City Hotel. The name itself sounds dodgey but the photos on the website looks promising so we decided to book it.

I was disappointed as soon as we arrived. I chose the room that's supposed to be on the first floor and when we got there it was actually on the third! So we have to carry our luggages 3 flights up on a non elevator building. I am from NY so I am used to walk ups but the fact that they lied on their website that its on the first floor when it actually isn't is unforgivable! I made it a point to get a room on the first floor because I know how the buildings are in Amsterdam.

Next, when we got to the room - our bed sheets and pillows were not clean and arranged. It looked like someone was just there before us! I've never been to a hotel like this! I know it's not a five star hotel but its really disgusting to arrive in your room like that. I went back to the reception and told him the story and all he did was hand me fresh sheets so I can change it myself! Unbelievable!

On our last day they charged us for not checking out on time. I have never experienced this in any hotel!

I am very disappointed and unhappy customer and hopefully this review will help other people.

I do not recommend this hotel. You can get a better deal somewhere else for the price.

• Stayed June 2013
Beirut, Lebanon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed at this hotel from June 30 to July 4. The location of the hotel is a 10 to 15 min walk from Centraal Station. Once you leave the station, you turn left and you will find your way to the property. It is a typical Amsterdam building, with staircases even to get to the bathroom, am telling you, this hotel damaged my muscles, and bones and every joint of my body, because you have to carry your luggage up and up and up, or down and down and down. Am not saying it´s wrong to do this, but man, the stairs are suicidal, and if you are planning on getting high every night like I did, oh its an adventure, which I actually enjoyed. The staff is typical of a do it yourself hotel, they are there but don´t expect much from them. They are what they are, this is a 1 to 2 star property, and it was quite clean and the room I had, I think 13A was pretty decent. What else can I say, the breakfast was not bad, but it needs at least a fruit, that would give it the edge, other than that, it was good. I paid 100 euro per night for 2 people in double room, which was great. I would return to it unless I find a more central hotel for the same price, the hotel is walking distance from the red light district, and dam square, and all the coffee shops and restaurants, but its not in the middle of the hustle and bustle which to me was great somehow.

Tempe, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Expensive, not worth it. Staff was not willing to help; I witnessed a lady telling the front desk guy that her room hadn't been cleaned since the previous guests and all the front desk guy could say is "sorry, the ladies will clean it tomorrow". The staff also gave a key to my room at 1:00 am to a new guest that entered our room while we were sleeping. Vey minimal breakfast. Noisy hotel. There are over 650 other hotels in Amsterdam, choose another. Pros: It is a good location, about a 5 minute walk from the train station.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
KN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Excellent hotel in a perfect location. The apartments for 6 people are a dream. The hotel staff very helpful and always cheerful. We were super-added despite our size group of nearly 30 people and will certainly come back again. For us this is the only hotel in Amsterdam for the future.
Especially I want to thanks Mrs. Ghazal for everything.

Greetings from Germany (S. Kokal)

Room Tip: Apartments for 6 people ( Amazing)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I was once told that if I couldn't say anything nice, then I shouldn't say anything at all, but I will try..Staff were friendly on arrival - plus point there. Our room (B13) billed as a Superior Double by the booking agent was, in my opinion, anything but... The double bed was in fact 2 singles held together by a double sheet, leaving a ridge down the middle and of course, moving further apart during the night.Here is something I never thought I would say about hotel beds in general - it was too soft! Yes, you heard me - too soft to the point where you were almost sinking making it a very uncomfortable night! I expect beds to be, on the whole, quite hard and consider myself lucky to get a softer mattress, but this was too far the other way on the scale.Some people like soft beds, but this was crazy! Two cleaning issues were put right immediately by an obviously overworked chambermaid, so well done to her. They have been renovating the place and you can see that they are doing so, but attention to detail is essential; one of the light fittings fell out when we tried to adjust it, and lino tiles that are coming away from the internal stairs: oh yes, those.. it is totally suicidal to try to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night as it is at the top of 3 steps and in the dark you face the real possibility of falling down them and doing serious damage to yourself!! So you have to switch a light on (or take a torch) and, inevitably, waking your partner too. Next grumble: to make this a double room, one side of the bed is crammed right up against the outside wall making it impossible to get into bed, so no bed-side table for your glasses, water, etc. You have two options for getting into bed - 1: make sure you are the 1st one in (but you still have to clamber over the aforementioned gap between mattresses) or 2: clamber up from the end of the bed, do a 3 point turn and get under the duvet. At almost 60 (yes, I will admit that) and with 'dodgy' knees I am not impressed with this.There were spots of paint missing on the wall the other side due, I am sure , to people trying to get into bed, as the space between bed and wall was very very narrow, too. Nearly done... The only source of fresh air was a door that led to the outside (a concrete yard with a high wall, yep that was our 'view' of Amsterdam) it is not the most secure way to get some air. I read one view recently that mentioned having a window they could open - lucky them... Yes, I am aware that we could have asked to be moved, but it was only one night and it was very busy. Other plusses I have thought of: it is only a 10 minute stroll to the station and breakfast was okay in a very nice, bright room where you could overlook the water. Oh yes - another plus: it was the nicest bathroom we have had since we first started visiting Amsterdam!!

In my opinion they could have made better use of the room by making it a large single room so at least you can get into bed in one simple move, not clambering into bed like a 6 year old! I am sure that there must be nicer rooms, but just not B13...

Apologies for such a negative review - I always try to give a balanced insight, but this time with a cost of 100Euros for the night for 2 including city tax, it was impossible to do so.

Room Tip: try to get a room on floor A as you have a chance to get a view that is better than a walled concret...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to City Hotel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!