“Peaceful location a few minutes from the center” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #28 of 340 hotels in Amsterdam
Gdansk, Poland
“Peaceful location a few minutes from the center”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Modern hotel with comfortable rooms and complete breakfast. Clean and well isolated. Easy access to the center by metro and close to the airport. Peaceful location close to the university. Recomendable

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

293 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
lima
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I stayed at HI express Amsterdam South with my family for a week visit to Netherlands. We are quite familiar with HI express facilities in the US ( wifi, breakfast, value for money, etc) so after reading previous reviews we decide to book two rooms. We were looking for connecting ones, but have to settle for nearby rooms.
Overall conclusion:
I will choose it again without hesitation unless I will be on a business trip and other people money will cover expenses¡¡.
Pros:
usual HI express service that was very suitable for my family needs
Nice bathroom
Highly motivated staff. Laurin, Chavi and the other girls were extremely helpful on all our needs.
Supermarket and other convenience stores are nearby and street overnight parking is free and safe. We did not use public transportation and decided to pay expensive Amsterdam parking instead. We were 5 people and some of them hate to walk long distances, so we had to compromise.
Cons:
Soft mattreses and hard pillows. However, after complaining about this issue, Linda, the manager, offered to change rooms from double beds to single beds, where matresses were much better. That worked great for us and shows very good customer service skills.
Compared to other HI express facilities I have been in the US it lacks pool and jacuzzi that are really helpful after long walks travelling. Microwave will be a nice feature to have.

I think this hotel and their staff are on the right track on service...

Room Tip: Corner unit on higher floor was very good..large and sunny ( Room 215)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

It was probably one of the coldest days of the year and our room was in a section of the hotel that was exposed due to the design of the building in what I describe as a rather large bay window type thing with metal frame and glass being the only thing that separated you from the elements. Spent the whole time trying to get warm. The showers were brilliant though, great water pressure and the breakfast was great with a choice of continental and English food and even had Halal produce available too. Hotel is nice, staff friendly but just too cold.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the outer rooms if you want to be warm
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam - South, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear Samantha T,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am pleased to know that you had a satisfactory stay at our hotel and apologize for the inconvenience the shortfalls you have encountered may have caused . I appreciate feedback that we receive, whether positive and negative to ensure we provide the best level of service and facilities that we can give to our guests. Thank you again for your review and I hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Beit She'an, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I was arriving for a 1-day conference at a Hotel near the airport and yet wanted to have an evening in Amsterdam. I decided on this Hotel for a few reasons:
1) Close enough to the airport( about 15-20 minutes) that it was convenient to get to the other place the following morning
2) Near enough to the center of the city( 15 minutes on the #5 Tram) that it would be easy to get there, check in, and then go out without too much of a fuss.
3) Close to a kosher restaurant and (if possible) a synagogue (for morning prayers). In fact there is a Kosher restaurant, and a Deli/Bakery and a Synagogue all within about a 3 minute walk of the Hotel.
This Hotel definitely ticked ALL the boxes.

I got to the Hotel at about 1800. Having pre-paid, I checked in within a couple of minutes (although I had to pay a few extra Euros for city tax), and went to my room.
It was spotlessly clean with a good size double bed, 2 armchairs, a 32” wall mounted Flatscreen TV (with Satellite channels), desk, Kettle with tea and coffee….and a brand new bathroom with massive shower unit, toilet and sink. Towels were plentiful and shampoo/shower gel was from a wall unit.
I got changed and immediately went out (for a meal – see review Golan) and then got the #5 Tram into the center of the city.
At night, the bed was comfortable and the air conditioning worked well. In the morning I had a Kosher breakfast ( simple – boiled egg, rolls, cheese etc. but functional). There was plenty of room in the restaurant and I didn’t have to wait to get a table.
I asked for the person behind the desk at Reception to order me a Taxi and it arrived promptly and off I went to my conference.
Summary: Clean, convenient (for everything), good rooms, Kosher food. Not cheap, but not expensive. Would definitely come back again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I chose this hotel for a family stay because it received good reviews, is quite new, and had lower rates than hotels ranked similarly. We were very pleased with our visit. The bedroom was large by European standards and it was very quiet. The bathroom and in particular the shower were close to the best we've encountered in Europe. The breakfast was adequate. The staff people were very helpful. About a five minute walk away was a supermarket, where we bought items for snacks and lunch each day. Across the street from the market was a stop for Tram number 5, which we used every day to go back and forth to the center of the city.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
GM_HI_Express_AMSAM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam - South, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for having taken the time to write on TripAdvisor regarding your stay with us in the Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-South. I am very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that our team did a great job, I have shared your compliments with them.

Kind regards,

Franklin, Tennessee, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

First let me start with the things I liked about this hotel:
It was easy to get to from the local train. Rooms were nice and clean, although a bit sparse. Front desk staff was very friendly. There is a grocery store just around the block. Breakfast was included, although that was so-so.

Now the bad part:
My wife and I came here on vacation. As vacationers do, they like to sleep in. If you like to sleep in, do not stay at this hotel. The first morning, I was awakened by the maid pounding on our door. I didn't see the "Do Not Disturb" sign hanging on the back of our door, as is typical of most hotels, so I didn't put it out. Turns out it was on the wall. Fair enough. My bad. I put it out, and went back to sleep.

The next morning, I once again awoke to the maid pounding on my door. She told me that because she didn't clean the room the previous day, that she had get in to clean the room. That it was "policy" to not let a room go more than one day without cleaning it, and was kinda rude to me. Furthermore she indicated we had to be out of the room by noon because her shift was ending.

Another morning's rest, shot. We paid for three nights, and this was only the second morning. The third morning we checked out before she could get to our room.

Never in my life have I stayed in a hotel which temporarily evicted guests from their rooms so they could clean them. This just boggles my mind. A hotel is supposed to put hospitality of their guests first. The whole reason for staying at a hotel is to sleep. What about people who have to work nights that stay here? I shouldn't have to work around the hotel's schedule. Every hotel I have been too sends someone back later in the afternoon to clean if the room is occupied. This one fails.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_HI_Express_AMSAM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam - South, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for offering this feedback about your recent stay with us. I deeply regret that you had such a poor experience with our housekeeping staff. I will take every measure to ensure you that this doesn’t happen again. I hope that you’ll stay with us on your next visit so we we’ll have the opportunity to make this up to you.

Thank you again for your feedback.

at home
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is a nice, new looking Hotel a bit outside from central Amsterdam. Nevertheless, its just a short ride with the Metro or the Tram in the City. The room was very clean and nice and the shower was great. The staff was very welcoming. There is a small Hotel bar at the entrance in the Hotel which is nice for a late night drink. We totally recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to read your positive review on TripAdvisor. I am very glad you had a nice stay with us in Holiday Inn Express Amterdam-South! We hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Hotel Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam - South? Share your experiences!