“Absolutely brilliant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tulip of Amsterdam B&B

You added Tulip of Amsterdam B&B to your Saves list
Tulip of Amsterdam B&B
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Kloveniersburgwal 9 HS, 1011 JT Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Centrum)   |
Ranked #8 of 327 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Absolutely brilliant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Wow, this little b and b really was incredible. Stayed for three nights for a short break. It's very central and a great base to explore Amsterdam. David and Chris couldn't have been more helpful, letting us check and early and giving us maps and lots of advice.

The room we stayed in was a newer room - I think it was called the Emerald room. It was gorgeously decorated and almost like having a little apartment. It was very peaceful and we felt very much at home there. I'd highly highly recommend this b and b - one of my favorite places I've ever stayed. Our room didn't include breakfast but we were provided with many snacks so we didn't really need it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lizzy B

Louisville, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

There were 6 of us in our party that occupied 3 rooms. Where to start?

The hosts David and Chris were very friendly and helpful. Siince we arrived early after an overnight flight, they kept our luggage for us, offered coffee to keep us going, and orientated us to the area. When we returned the luggage had been put in the various rooms which was very helpful.

The rooms are very clean and spacious. Nicely decorated with comfortable beds.

The breakfast room was large and had everything you could desire. You could cook if you wished or not if you didn't. There was a huge selection of choices including fresh fruit. I can't think of anything that wasn't available.

The cat is adorable and very friendly. He even slept one night in one room by invitation.

The location is excellent. Very walkable, nice small canal in front, and a plaza across the street for people watching. The area is filled with many small restaurants. They recommended a couple and they were excellent. Cafe Piazza one door away was terrific. Be sure to try the Perogies if they are offered. They also recommended a good Thai restaurant a couple of blocks away. It was also very good. The entire area has many choices.

Before we arrived, we asked some questions, which were promptly answered in full. It was greatly appreciated--especially the almost-instant answer.

We only had 4 nights before we left on a river cruise, but with their guidance and recommendations we packed a lot into that time and got to experience Amsterdam in a way that would not have been possible without their help.

If you want to get the feel of the city and the people, you need to choose this one.

Room Tip: Each room is different since it is an old building that has been redone. You can go wrong with any...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank epaulsen
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We spent three nights at Tulip and would not hesitate to return. The location was fantastic for us. We love to walk a lot, and Tulip's location made it possible to walk all over the main sections of the city easily during our stay. Both Chris and David were incredibly helpful and informative whenever we bombarded them with questions about thngs to do and see. If they didn't know, they took the time to find out for us. They were excellent, friendly hosts. We really liked the do-it-yourself breakfasts they provided each morning. Everything we could possibly need for a HUGE breakfast was available, and I loved being able to make an omelet for my wife while she sipped her coffee. It is fair to mention the very narrow (and typical Amsterdam) stairway leading to the rooms. I didn't mind it a bit (it just added to the charm of the place), but some may find it a bit precarious. (Plus, they offered to take our luggage up for us if we were uncomfortable with it.) If and when we return to Amsterdam, Tulip of Amsterdam will be our home away from home.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jmatlocks
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Thanks for the great place to stay last weekend. We usually stay in hotels but this time decided to see the way Dutch people live. It was great insight.

Plce is easy to find and close to central station, Dam and Red Light District.

We loved 'make your own breakfast' approach.

We will be back!

1 Thank PeteHLondon
Broadbeach, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Well what can i say.Great location'breakfast & outstanding hosts.We stayed three nights at Tulip
it was hard to fault anything.David & Cris could not be more helpfull any requests were met including advice on places to eat or drink & how to get to any sights we wanted to see.

Room Tip: Be aware that underground station nearby is closed for renovations so is not an option. However it i...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MARK W
Tampa, Florida, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

If you want to experience Amsterdam and Holland as a part of understanding the Dutch and Dutch history then Tulip of Amsterdam is THE place to stay. Chris and David are superb hosts, as is their cat Lotjie. The converted row house along a canal in the old town is typically Dutch updated with modern amenities and wonderful rooms at the end of a typically narrow spiral staircase. A full breakfast spread, self-serve, complements the stay. We spent 3 nights in advance of a Baltic cruise and I was right at home at the Tulip having lived in Amsterdam as a youngster. Easy walk to Dam square and the flower market and a whole host of attractions and restaurants. Highly recommended for those who do not require an elevator to climb 2 flights.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Globehoppers71
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I am an enthusiastic traveller and I have visited many B&Bs in the world. Tulip of Amsterdam is simply the best!!! I stayed there for 3 nights during my summer holiday in August and I LOVED it!

First of all, it is centrally located in the heart of Amsterdam with lovely shops, restaurants, bars and markets just around the corner. Amsterdam Central Station is only 7-10 minutes' walk away. Despite its central location, Tulip is on a quiet street. So I enjoyed quiet evenings and slept like a baby. But if you like the night life, it's only a few minutes' walk away.

What really makes a difference is how friendly and thoughtful the hosts, David and Chris, are. I had a very warm welcome by the hosts, which really made me feel at home after a long journey to Amsterdam. They even carried my suitcase to my room. The room I stayed in was a large double room with ensuite. Everything was immaculate! Comfortable bed with nice bedding, a small dining table with chairs, a complimentary bottle of wine, tea bags, coffee capsules, drinking water, etc. I felt the hosts really put their thoughts into it to make their guests comfortable and happy. For my whole stay, I didn't have to ask for anything because everything I needed was just there in my room/bathroom. There is a wide range of choices for breakfast in the guest kitchen, too. By the way, I really liked the cat, Loytje, as it is so friendly and chillaxed. I couldn't stop cuddling and petting it. :-)

Amsterdam is a great city to visit. And my stay at Tulip made it even more special, just like the icing on the cake. I will definitely go back to Tulip when I visit Amsterdam again. Without reservation, I would highly recommend Tulip of Amsterdam B&B to anyone who desires a truly enjoyable experience in Amsterdam.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo